Why does art have a strong connotation to freedom?

Dreckerplayer

Elite
Kin
26💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
and wrongly so! Shouldn't it be attributed more to writing?
Your question should be "Why not?"

And then your second question should be "Why writing, over art?"

Art is obviously less restricted, and sort of boundless. Or you can even use words in an artistic style.

I mean, this should be a given. But isn't poetry a form of art?

Yeah, art is way bigger than just "writing", while writing can be a form of art.

HowDidIGetPrem

Elite
Kin
5,803💸
Kumi
1,192💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Your question should be "Why not?"

And then your second question should be "Why writing, over art?"

Art is obviously less restricted, and sort of boundless. Or you can even use words in an artistic style.

I mean, this should be a given. But isn't poetry a form of art?

Yeah, art is way bigger than just "writing", while writing can be a form of art.
Art as in graphical art.

Yeah right

Regular
Kin
4💸
Kumi
-6💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I thought art was for the “gays”, or so I was told by “regular” people like the “common man” and blue collar people. And they are the ones right now whining about my freedom.

Following this thought, art is manipulation, which means you are guided, which means there is no freedom.

Now my real thoughts. Art is expression of the things we have no words for. Describe freedom. It’s hard. Show it to us and we get a better picture.

wanderingcactus

Veteran
Kin
2,117💸
Kumi
1,383💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
you are using the word art very loosely here. It's vague.

If you are talking about the conventional paintings or anything graphic, then yes.

You have more freedom as there are some expressions that cannot be described by words - some languages may have it but in order to understand the word, one must first know the feeling it correlates to.

And that is the discrepancy between audio vs graphic.
Although, if the artist have more freedom to express oneself, the audience may too exercise that freedom and interpret it differently than the artist has intended.

This gives written art more freedom as it is precise. Words are most often defined so to misinterpret is to do so with effort, may it come from the audience or the writer. There are instances where one can misunderstand the statement being delivered. This is due to some people failing to relate rather than to comprehend the message being conveyed. They may have some vague idea as they are familiar with the words but sentence structure are often complex and have deeper meaning to it more than one might think. Take poetry for example.

The degree of freedom of expression solely depends on the artist and whether they have the intention of passing on the message to the audience. Should the intended recipient be only the artist, then it truly is freedom, despite of which method is chosen, may it be written or otherwise.

"How much can the audience understand the message?"

A blank white canvas can say a lot but nothing to most people. "How does that make sense?"
Say that the artist is well-known for the use of colour and abstract images, practically never leaves any blank spot or a block of uniform colour. If the audience knew how this artist operates, they can understand that this white blank canvas being a finished product has a deeper message. A deeper meaning.

We can relate more on this with music. If we were to play the same music with a different tempo, it changes the mood completely despite of having the same content. One can make an originally energetic and cheerful song into a more somber one.

This is why we have people who appear pompous or snobbish to us. They may just know what the artist is truly expressing but we lack the insight to understand so we misunderstand it.

Last edited:

HowDidIGetPrem

Elite
Kin
5,803💸
Kumi
1,192💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Well what can't you do with art?
you cant send over clear ideas about anything abstract. There's tons of propaganda that simply doesn't make sense without an explanation and those are designed to be super easy. Without context from reading or teaching, you'd have no idea of what's trying to be sent across or just a small one. Even then, you come across praised abstract art and everyone is saying it gives them a different sensation from the next guy.

I don't think you can call it freedom if you aren't truly representing yourself going by the wildly different interpretations.

Dreckerplayer

Elite
Kin
26💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
you cant send over clear ideas about anything abstract. There's tons of propaganda that simply doesn't make sense without an explanation and those are designed to be super easy. Without context from reading or teaching, you'd have no idea of what's trying to be sent across or just a small one. Even then, you come across praised abstract art and everyone is saying it gives them a different sensation from the next guy.

I don't think you can call it freedom if you aren't truly representing yourself going by the wildly different interpretations.
sounds very conceited.