[Discussion] Why Are We Attracted To Anime Characters?

Umari Senju

Legendary
Kin
238💸
Kumi
96💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
For me? Simple answer is I'm not. I get they are drawn to look sexy an all that but I'm not attracted to them at all. Guess I just prefer the real thing :sigar:

Punk Hazard

Immortal
Kin
1,664💸
Kumi
11,569💴
Trait Points
50⚔️
First thing that should be acknowledged is that there's a difference between acknowledge something is attractive, and being attracted to it. I know Brad Pitt is attractive, but I'm not attracted to him.

Secondly, because they're modeled, more often than not, after human beings. Traits that are considered attractive in the real world is represented in the characters. The same way we can feel an emotional connection to fiction because human emotions are emulated into them, we can feel a physical connection, or at least understand the basis of what would make a physical connection, in these fictional characters who have emulated them.

Venomous Cobra

Legendary
Kin
4💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I pretty much agree with almost everything the dude in the video said, though I'd beg to differ on attraction to anime characters being equal to higher level of empathy. People feel that it's easier to get attracted to anime characters because simply, they are easy to understand,relate and adore. Every writer uses their plot to show the perfect presentation for most of their relevant characters and this is further developed through other key factors like other character interaction with them that'll undercover even more about them. Real life isn't that easy, people don't easily and plainly share their secrets/how they feel/true attitudes etc...thus successfully labeling most of their heart content as "unknown" which humans instincts will by nature try to indirectly undercover thanks to our first motivation being the desire to seek knowledge.

There's this type of fans^^

and then there are ↓↓↓↓↓↓

"Ohhhh myyyy godd ^v^ xxx-kun was soo sexy and cool in that episode, I totally love, he's mine"
"Oh wow xxx-san is so hot, I wish if real life girls would be like that, would really bang her"

Type of fans who are simply attracted to 2d characters due to the characters having a relativity far more attractive characteristics. This is pretty common in art, but it isn;t meant to be taken to that level, or so I would assume

Last edited:
Reactions: Agent Phrank

DominiqueX

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
First thing that should be acknowledged is that there's a difference between acknowledge something is attractive, and being attracted to it. I know Brad Pitt is attractive, but I'm not attracted to him.

Secondly, because they're modeled, more often than not, after human beings. Traits that are considered attractive in the real world is represented in the characters. The same way we can feel an emotional connection to fiction because human emotions are emulated into them, we can feel a physical connection, or at least understand the basis of what would make a physical connection, in these fictional characters who have emulated them.
Couldn't have said it better. Thank you, Sir!

Pumpkin Ninja

Legendary
Kin
577💸
Kumi
2,186💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I like the way anime characters looked ever since I was a kid, the males always looked cool, and the females always looked attractive.

I guess our brain considers them human enough for us to be attracted to them. Plus they're given what we consider positive features on real human beings.

NineSNS

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
They're designed based on attractive human traits and appealing human behaviors. Plus they're more predictable than people, so they're "safe."

awesomeseimei

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
-250💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
For me, it boils down to "beautifully drawn", and it's usually about hair. That's why I more often find characters to be better looking (aesthetically) in fanart, when they are drawn more realistically.