UCHIHAKUNOICHI

Veteran
Kin
324💸
Kumi
201💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Usually kids in warfare don't go to school, nor have the time to learn how to read or write. These kids usually train everytime and afterwards go to have a little fun - it was stated in the databook that the only "hobby time" kid Madara and Hashirama had was when they were together so another point to believe in this inconsistency.

Remember these stones?

You must be registered for see images

Well, it seems they were able to write, however considering the period they lived in it's controversial and inconsistent.

Maybe they were prodigies in school subjects too?

Reactions: SIR UZMAKIMADARA

SIR UZMAKIMADARA

Elite
Kin
32💸
Kumi
3💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
You got a point. However, schools aren't the only source of knowledge. In fact, many great philosophers in past never went to school.
Madara and Hashirama might have learned about that from their fathers.

Chikombo

Elite
Kin
9,371💸
Kumi
1,003💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
During the dark ages I think most people that could write where religious people, but other people learned from them and developed their own writing, maybe these people had some means of communication they passed on but perhaps not that advanced. Or maybe it's just plotconvinience.

AllKnowingShinobi

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Bro... Egyptians, romens, even cavemen(drawings) all of them have a type of writing system... writing is one of the basic way of communication. It would be kimda sad if hash or marada didnt know how to write the simple charaters of run on a tiny pebble.

Also broooooo believe it or not when the so6p was alive his son indra wrote acutally words on a stone... so yea.

UCHIHAKUNOICHI

Veteran
Kin
324💸
Kumi
201💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
You got a point. However, schools aren't the only source of knowledge. In fact, many great philosophers in past never went to school.
Madara and Hashirama might have learned about that from their fathers.
It's quite difficult to imagine Tajima and Butsuma having the patience to teach little kids about that. Maybe shuriken stuff, but that ? XD
Maybe they didn't have the time, Tajima and Butsuma were probably busy with war strategies etc.

Maybe older women did the job?

UCHIHAKUNOICHI

Veteran
Kin
324💸
Kumi
201💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Bro... Egyptians, romens, even cavemen(drawings) all of them have a type of writing system... writing is one of the basic way of communication. It would be kimda sad if hash or marada didnt know how to write the simple charaters of run on a tiny pebble.

Also broooooo believe it or not when the so6p was alive his son indra wrote acutally words on a stone... so yea.
It was based in the Warring States Period of Japan History. So yes, I expect them to have writing system.
But during those ancient times you mentioned, knowing how to write was quite a privilege, maybe it's because they were the leader's sons?

SIR UZMAKIMADARA

Elite
Kin
32💸
Kumi
3💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
It's quite difficult to imagine Tajima and Butsuma having the patience to teach little kids about that. Maybe shuriken stuff, but that ? XD
Maybe they didn't have the time, Tajima and Butsuma were probably busy with war strategies etc.

Maybe older women did the job?
I didn't of it that way :lmao: :lmao: Butsuma would prefer kunai over pen any day =D

UCHIHAKUNOICHI

Veteran
Kin
324💸
Kumi
201💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
During the dark ages I think most people that could write where religious people, but other people learned from them and developed their own writing, maybe these people had some means of communication they passed on but perhaps not that advanced. Or maybe it's just plotconvinience.
This period in the manga is kinda based in the "Middle Ages of Japan" so maybe writing was perharps indeed a privilege.
Maybe it's because they were the leader's sons, or because they were prodigies.

Itama may have died illiterate indeed lol.

UCHIHAKUNOICHI

Veteran
Kin
324💸
Kumi
201💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I didn't of it that way :lmao: :lmao: Butsuma would prefer kunai over pen any day =D
Maybe that's why Tobirama said "it's different from father's era" lololol:p
And maybe that's why Hashirama suggested a school for kids. He mentioned they died without knowing the sake flavor. That may indicate some did die illiterate.
What rises more questions: did they have an university?
The oldest university is that of Bologna in Italy - 1088.

XANARCHY

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Usually kids in warfare don't go to school, nor have the time to learn how to read or write. These kids usually train everytime and afterwards go to have a little fun - it was stated in the databook that the only "hobby time" kid Madara and Hashirama had was when they were together so another point to believe in this inconsistency.

Remember these stones?

Well, it seems they were able to write, however considering the period they lived in it's controversial and inconsistent.

Maybe they were prodigies in school subjects too?
There are so many things wrong with this

The senju and uchiha clans were THE two distinguished clans that had a virtual monopoly over the The jobs ninjas were hired to perform so as far as being a powerful and wealthy house in the warring states period the sons of such clans would definitely learn to read.

And as a side note. Hobby is something one picks up because they personally enjoying Doing.That had nothing to do with the time spent learning.If I said my only hobby was collecting stamps are you going to assume I had no time to learn to read ? What kind of logic is that?

UCHIHAKUNOICHI

Veteran
Kin
324💸
Kumi
201💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
There are so many things wrong with this

The senju and uchiha clans were THE two distinguished clans that had a virtual monopoly over the The jobs ninjas were hired to perform so as far as being a powerful and wealthy house in the warring states period the sons of such clans would definitely learn to read.

And as a side note. Hobby is something one picks up because they personally enjoying Doing.That had nothing to do with the time spent learning.If I said my only hobby was collecting stamps are you going to assume I had no time to learn to read ? What kind of logic is that?
No sir XD You got it all wrong.
When I said that that was their only hobby, I was impling what was in the databook: they only relaxed when they met each other. All the other things were directed towards warfare - not grammatical lessons or literature. Hashirama even mentioned that when Madara skipped rocks he did it like with a shuriken.

Itama may have died illiterate and Kawarama maybe only knew the basics of grammar.

Also: Look the surroundings. These sure aren't wealthy houses with wealthy furnitures:

SIR UZMAKIMADARA

Elite
Kin
32💸
Kumi
3💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Maybe that's why Tobirama said "it's different from father's era" lololol:p
And maybe that's why Hashirama suggested a school for kids. He mentioned they died without knowing the sake flavor. That may indicate some did die illiterate.
What rises more questions: did they have an university?
The oldest university is that of Bologna in Italy - 1088.
haha that explains why hashirama cared so much about the school for kids =D
I don't think they had any university though.

Queen of Bananas

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
For people that can get villages to shut down with sheer power, you'd think reading and writing would not be a prime concern in the need for application of the mind for survival.

UCHIHAKUNOICHI

Veteran
Kin
324💸
Kumi
201💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
For people that can get villages to shut down with sheer power, you'd think reading and writing would not be a prime concern in the need for application of the mind for survival.
But that's exactly the problem: Why were they literate? Were they that much of prodigies?
Perharps- according to Butsuma - if Madara was a ninja prodigy since he was born, writing isn't that much of a problem.

Maybe he asked someone to write for him - who knows XD

Queen of Bananas

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
But that's exactly the problem: Why were they literate? Were they that much of prodigies?
Perharps- according to Butsuma - if Madara was a ninja prodigy since he was born, writing isn't that much of a problem.

Maybe he asked someone to write for him - who knows XD
I think schools were common? If not, where there's a will there's a way, and these folks definitely got themselves a "will of fire"

XANARCHY

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
No sir XD You got it all wrong.
When I said that that was their only hobby, I was impling what was in the databook: they only relaxed when they met each other. All the other things were directed towards warfare - not grammatical lessons or literature. Hashirama even mentioned that when Madara skipped rocks he did it like with a shuriken.

Itama may have died illiterate and Kawarama maybe only knew the basics of grammar.

Also: Look the surroundings. These sure aren't wealthy houses with wealthy furnitures:

Your just assuming Itama didn't learn to read based off why exactly ?
And they were wealthy.Ninjas were hired back then as they are now and the senju and uchia were able to get most of the jobs given their status and power.This power and influence is what eventually led them to be able to reach out to other powerful and noble clans to create their own village.

You simply just don't know much about how things operated in that time period.
You are confusing them with low born commoners which they were not.

UCHIHAKUNOICHI

Veteran
Kin
324💸
Kumi
201💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Your just assuming Itama didn't learn to read based off why exactly ?
And they were wealthy.Ninjas were hired back then as they are now and the senju and uchia were able to get most of the jobs given their status and power.This power and influence is what eventually led them to be able to reach out to other powerful and noble clans to create their own village.

You simply just don't know much about how things operated in that time period.
You are confusing them with low born commoners which they were not.
By logic one would think that a kid younger than 7 years old would not have time to study and learn how to write and read in WAR.
His focus should be in abilities and jutsu. Otherwise he gets dead. Maybe you are right. He got dead lol.

There are countries where there isn't even war and most people are illiterate. This is a period when kids are sent to battle lines. Not an academy where lovely teachers will be there willing to teach everything they know. lol.

Yeah, they were the best clans almost "royalty like".And yet it still is an inconsistence because when can you teach a kid about grammar when his/her goal is SURVIVING?
You clearly don't understand the concept of war.
CharleMagne was also royalty and yet didn't know how to write for most of his life. lol

Dissonant Values

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
You’ve gotta understand that among Shinobi, education was very very important. Shinobi literally means “to sneak” refering to their traditional functions of infiltration, intelligence gathering, and diplomacy.

An elite Shinobi was well versed in reading and writing as well as the politics of their particiar area. It was crucial considering many spent most of their time in disguise among enemies.

There were also former samurai who worked as Ninja like Hanzo Hattori. Bushido was seen as too rigid and didn’t allow for certain often deemed necessary actions to be carried out. Usually the morally dubious kind. The Samurai caste was also well educated.

No reason they wouldn’t be knowledgeable or literate.