Who’s your favorite anime OST composer?

Kin
399💸
Kumi
60💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
One from before the 2000’s and one from after. Or top 3 from each if you can’t pick one.
And what are their best projects in your opinion?
Mine for the first category would be Kōhei Tanaka, Yasunori Iwasaki, and Tomoki Hasegawa.
The 2nd would be Yasuharu Takanashi, Taku Iwasaki, and Hiroyuki Sawano.

kaito_1427

Kin
4💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I like ost composer is anime kimi no nawa it very deep. I listient it a lot and download it in and the composer is hight quality!

Red-Robin

Regular
Kin
2,922💸
Kumi
14,033💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
If I had to pick anyone for pre-century it'd probably be a toss up between Tsuneo Imahori's work from the Trigun series, or Yoko Kanno from the Ghost in the Shell franchise. Both are equally talented in my opinion for different reasons, so it's hard for me to rule out one over the other.

As for the more modern touches, Yuki Kajiura definitely stands near peak in my mind. All of her works in a large portion of the Fate franchise and Black Butler has been astounding and entirely completes the atmosphere of every vibe in each scene from the series, which is difficult for me to say for really any other composer so consistently.
Though if I had to pick a contender, it'd probably be Hiroyuki Sawano. He has some pretty legendary work that I never really find myself unimpressed by. Between the Xenoblade ost and Blue Exorcist, Seraph of the End and Kabeneri of the Iron Fortress.. hard to pick.

You must be registered for see medias

Last edited:
Kin
399💸
Kumi
60💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
If I had to pick anyone for pre-century it'd probably be a toss up between Tsuneo Imahori's work from the Trigun series, or Yoko Kanno from the Ghost in the Shell franchise. Both are equally talented in my opinion for different reasons, so it's hard for me to rule out one over the other.
So, that would be only 2 people from the 20th century?

Red-Robin

Regular
Kin
2,922💸
Kumi
14,033💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
So, that would be only 2 people from the 20th century?
Yeah, at least ones that I know of or can think of. Truth be told I haven't watched a lot of anime that is prior to 2000; I'm usually very picky about the animation style and typically the older, less "refined" look doesn't really do it for me. A handful of shows make it through that barrier though, but not all of them have memorable OSTs in my experience.

Kin
399💸
Kumi
60💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Yeah, at least ones that I know of or can think of. Truth be told I haven't watched a lot of anime that is prior to 2000; I'm usually very picky about the animation style and typically the older, less "refined" look doesn't really do it for me. A handful of shows make it through that barrier though, but not all of them have memorable OSTs in my experience.
I understand. But how about remastered versions from any of those time periods?

Red-Robin

Regular
Kin
2,922💸
Kumi
14,033💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I understand. But how about remastered versions from any of those time periods?
Honestly I can't really think of any off the top of my head apart from Ghost in the Shell. I've never really been a huge Dragon Ball fan, so I can't really speak for that OST and same with Berserk. I've seen Cowboy Bebop, but that soundtrack didn't exactly stand out to me, though it shared a lot of similarities to Trigun's OST if not a little more jazzy, as far as I can remember. It was good, but didn't really hold on in memory quite as well. Might just be the difference in which show I enjoyed more I suppose.

Most of the shows I can really think of that I've seen with newer reboots -Fruits Basket, Fate Stay Night, Hellsing, D-Gray Man, FMA, Blood+, etc- are all originally aired in the early-mid 2000s. Close, but not quite pre-century, so it wouldn't really be fair to include them.

Kin
399💸
Kumi
60💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I've never really been a huge Dragon Ball fan, so I can't really speak for that OST.
The OST for that show isn't exactly much to write home about anyway.

I've seen Cowboy Bebop, but that soundtrack didn't exactly stand out to me, though it shared a lot of similarities to Trigun's OST if not a little more jazzy, as far as I can remember. It was good, but didn't really hold on in memory quite as well. Might just be the difference in which show I enjoyed more I suppose.
Tsuneo Imahori was also a member of the Seatbelts that performed material for Cowboy Bebop. That might explain why the stuff he did for Trigun sounds similar.

Kin
399💸
Kumi
60💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Honestly I don't know much about these composers but I'm in love with the Naruto score, did he do fairy tail as well?
Yes, he did.
Also, same here, but with very few exceptions. Don’t think there’s any unreleased work of his I don’t like either.
Post automatically merged:

Oh, and before I forget, Kō Ōtani’s Gundam Wing is excellent as well:

Last edited:
Reactions: Chikombo