[Discussion] Which series screwed over their characters the most?

Animegoin

Veteran
Kin
4,124💸
Kumi
2,010💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Is it Dragonball (Z,GT,Super,etc.) or Naruto?​

In my opinion, despite Dragon Ball being absolute shit in terms of plot, the fights should still be interesting but we have a recurring pattern emerging. In Dragon Ball Z and Super, both Goten and Trunk’s potential was completely wasted. They were literally side lined for no reason, they’re kids that don’t even go to school! They had potential to be far superior than Teen Gohan that was displayed during the Cell Saga considering they were Super Saiyans “before they could even remember.” But alas, shit-tier Toriyama sidelined them. But let me put all of these characters in bullet format:

1. Goten and Trunks - Potential absolutely wasted, could be SSJ2s or SSJ3 by the time they're teenagers...and shouldn't have to fuse to become useful. Add on the “Goku family tier powerhouse ass-pulls” and Goten would be unbeatable.

2. Adult Gohan- Absolutely no way that Gohan should’ve been reduced that harshly as seen in “Return of F.” Especially after Gohan had his ass handed to him by Dabura and Super Buu. Gohan was turned into fodder just to make Frieza’s (I hate Frieza btw) look more powerful. Then again, Gohan got beat by Ginyu in return of F too if I remember correctly.

3. Vegeta - This man is still being shit on by Toriyama to this very day. Despite the fact that Vegeta obtained SSGSS (SSB) WITHOUT obtaining the ki of 5 saiyans, Vegeta is still inferior to Goku. Then the whole Tournament of Power bs just added fuel to the flames. Vegeta got a new “mastered SSGSS” but Goku (surprise suprise) got two new & far more powerful transformations... I don’t if he can’t use them anymore.

4. Majin Buu - Incredibly wasted, its pointless for him to still exist at this point. The former strongest being in the universe (outside of the Destructions) is just taking up space. Pathetic.

5. Bonus: Raditz- Raditz is Goku’s brother which should mean that he could benefit from the aforementioned “Goku family tier powerhouse ass-pulls”. But seriously though, Goku saved Vegeta and didn’t even wish back his own brother? It pissed me off to see Raditz in that Super episode where Krillin and Goku went to that island that Roshi sent them to. Raditz could’ve made the story far more interesting and seeing Raditz form a bond with his nephews and maybe even have kids of his own would’ve been epic, if you ask me.
Onward to Naruto, we are all familiar with Kishimoto’s story telling which is obviously not perfect but it certainly does dwarf Toriyama’s. Also Kishimoto has said that he had to make certain things happen because Naruto was a JUMP series but back on topic; Naruto’s progression led to a few characters being sidelined (or nerfed) and it didn’t make sense but when we found out that Kishimoto had already moved onto his next project, it all really does. Let’s get started with the list:

• Sasuke Uchiha - He has the Rinnegan and therefore should be able to learn any+all jutsu just by seeing it (As Jiraiya states of KID Nagato). Sasuke should also be able to master Yin-yang release after seeing so many opponents utilize it in the War but yet, all he uses are lightning techs. Disgusting...and he’s been prohibited from utilizing any of the Rinnegan’s Paths as an adult. He, like every other Uchiha, is also banned from even thinking about acquiring Sage Mode.

• Orochimaru - He just became Sasuke’s bitch for absolutely no reason other than plot. The sad truth is that he could’ve used the Kage (excluding Hashirama, of course) to hold down Sasuke so he could take his body and obtain both the Rinnegan and Sharingan with the snap of a finger. At least Kabuto was smart enough to think of that. Post-War Oro reveals his prowess in creating synthetic humans but despite that, I highly doubt Oro will play a part in Boruto aside from his role in Mitsuki’s life.

• Shin Uchiha clones- They’re not even going to be shown in the series anymore but at least reopen the Uchiha district and let the Shin’s live there. If they’re capable of reproduction, then they’re the revival of the Uchiha clan...despite not having authentic Uchiha DNA.

• Sasu-Saku family - Kishimoto really gave Naruto a whole family of four but decided it was a good idea to give Sasuke’s family one child and a daughter at that. No male to just ***** around and impregnate entire tribes of women...that was Kishimoto’s “Kaguya is a great idea!” shit tier thinking. Although, at least he didn’t allow Madara to be defeated face to face with fodder that he “killed” moments earlier. Plus he said “Madara” was his favorite. :xd:

• Momoshiki and Kinshiki - boy were we disappointed. Those guys shouldn’t have even been considered Otsutsukis. Toneri did better than those guys despite how shitty SP made his battle end.

• Ino Yamanaka- Be honest though, those Mind techniques are pretty OP despite how they effect the users. If Ino had switched with Momoshiki or Kinshiki, I highly doubt the Otsutsuki would even know how to counter it, plus it can’t be absorbed. But again, more wasted potential.

• Yamato - Although we don’t know if he’s still capable of utilizing the Shinsu Senju without the aide of Zetsu, he should still have been improved by Kabuto’s modifications. I would like to see him use it again so he doesn’t have to be stuck with the role of Supervisor.

• Mitsuki - Seriously, the way SP made Mitsuki say, “but even in Sage Mode, I don’t know if I could win,” infuriated me. I couldn’t care less if he was having one of those Goku moments where downplays his own talent, what pisses me off is that in that particular portion of the episode, he was literally thinking that to himself. Which is another reason why the anime is pure bullshit.
But anyway, which series do you guys believe screwed over their characters more? And which of these opinions do you agree with (if any) and/or disagree with (if any)? Comment away.

HowDidIGetPrem

Elite
Kin
5,803💸
Kumi
1,192💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Dragon Ball. Even when the side characters actually achieve shit, it seems to make no sense because they're THAT far behind. DBZ only has to worry about handling a handful of characters opposed to Naruto's entire K11 and more, yet DBZ still manages to fail so horribly.

Azarath Metrion Zinthos

Legendary
Kin
375💸
Kumi
87💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Those two are in the same ball-park when it comes to screwing over characters for impertinent reasons. Vegeta, in my opinion, is the most screwed-over character in the Anime terrain. The fact he seems to always be training x2 harder than Goku with less resting time (confirmed by Whiss) and Goku still regularly surpassing him calls for insults on Toryiama's name, but I digress.

Animegoin

Veteran
Kin
4,124💸
Kumi
2,010💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Those two are in the same ball-park when it comes to screwing over characters for impertinent reasons. Vegeta, in my opinion, is the most screwed-over character in the Anime terrain. The fact he seems to always be training x2 harder than Goku with less resting time (confirmed by Whiss) and Goku still regularly surpassing him calls for insults on Toryiama's name, but I digress.

Exactly, plus he obtained SSB and SSG without obtaining the ki of 5 individual saiyans. Toriyama is just a dumbass wanker tbh.

Shruikan

Legendary
Kin
12💸
Kumi
9💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Exactly, plus he obtained SSB and SSG without obtaining the ki of 5 individual saiyans. Toriyama is just a dumbass wanker tbh.
Well Vegeta himself admits Goku is simply more gifted in fighting than he is which is why Goku requires less efforts to do what Vegeta does. UI for instance would be relatively easy for Goku as Whis himself admits Goku doesn't think before attacking while Vegeta does. The former is a prerequisite for UI.

InfiniteMugen

KING
Legendary
Kin
110💸
Kumi
200💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Blame rabid fans for the Goku fest. Personally he doesn’t bug me, and I preferred his character in super, as he’s never been an actual hero by choice. That being said, Toriyama had full intention of making gohan the main, and at least giving goten and trunks some more shine(not sure about that last part). Goten and trunks where fun to watch, even with the plot convenience of being pretty much being born relevantly strong to the plot.

Op: dragonball

Reactions: Animegoin

Azarath Metrion Zinthos

Legendary
Kin
375💸
Kumi
87💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Of course, it made SSB look like a gimmick as a result, because it's reduced to what requires a circle of 5 Saiyans to a power that any Saiyan could obtain, since Vegeta seemingly doesn't have to do the whole ritual in order to get the same transformation. Although, Vegeta does get smiled upon by the writers, at least the Animation team gives him a form that only he obtains. But then Goku gets ahead of him gain, a no brainer, because Vegeta can never be stronger than the main man of the show.

There are interesting rumors about there being a plan for Vegeta in the sequel. It's said he might become the hero to take down the main antagonist, so I'm holding out for that. If Vegeta doesn't shine in Heroes I think that will be the end of my interest in the series at all. If not Gohan.

ORTAK

Kin
187💸
Kumi
9💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Besides DBZ and Naruto.....

Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Monsters: Let's talk about Joey, the one duelist who never got a chance to shine or grow besides saving his little sister and facing Marik in the Semi-Final round.

You must be registered for see images

Animegoin

Veteran
Kin
4,124💸
Kumi
2,010💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Besides DBZ and Naruto.....

Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Monsters: Let's talk about Joey, the one duelist who never got a chance to shine or grow besides saving his little sister and facing Marik in the Semi-Final round.

You must be registered for see images
At least he got to be Marik’s pawn and almost made Atem kill himself. ?‍♂ And didn’t he free himself from Marik’s control? He had that going for him.

ORTAK

Kin
187💸
Kumi
9💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I forgot a lot of YuGiOh but I’m sure there’s more that Joey’s done.
Only when the series decided to make him relevant. Orichalcos arc is not worth bringing up even if Joey was a holder of a dragon because of the fact that it was a filler arc, meaning not canon to the franchise.