Where should I start reading Tokyo Ghoul?

Tera Path

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
@Title

So, I watched Tokyo Ghoul and Root A a while back and finally decided to read the manga.
I started off reading the last 2-3 chapters of Tokyo Ghoul, realized that this wasn't the end of the anime and I may just have spoiled everything for myself. Confused as hell too.
Read a couple chapters in between, 120, 100, 90-93, still confused.
Does the anime take a different route than the manga? Should I just start reading Tokyo Ghoul from the start/near the start?

Ricardo

Banned
Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Start from chapter 1. Season 1 skipped a lot of important scenes, there's new stuff and new scenes there. Season 2 is just an anime original, it doesn't follow the manga at all...

Reactions: Tera Path

Tera Path

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
ERASED was ruined too the anime was different amd skipped alot of things and its made by Mad House
8.7 rating on MAL and my friend told me it's really good, much better received than Tokyo Ghoul root A.

Anyways, thanks for those who actually gave a useful response, I just started from the beginning and skipped a couple chapters in-between, everything seems the same so far but that's fine.

Arima

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
ERASED was ruined too the anime was different amd skipped alot of things and its made by Mad House

I haven't read ERASED manga, but if I'm not mistaken the anime followed the general storyline and was very well received.
As for Tokyo Ghoul root A, the studio made up totally different story.

123fire

Supreme
Kin
20💸
Kumi
-33💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

I haven't read ERASED manga, but if I'm not mistaken the anime followed the general storyline and was very well received.
The ERASED manga had 44 chapters each chapter had 40 pages . Each chapter should be an episode . So the show should be 44 episodes , it was condensed to 12 eps . Tell me now HOW MUCH THEY SKIPPED!!!

Arima

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
The ERASED manga had 44 chapters each chapter had 40 pages . Each chapter should be an episode . So the show should be 44 episodes , it was condensed to 12 eps . Tell me now HOW MUCH THEY SKIPPED!!!
Each chapter does not have to be an episode, even if a chapter is 40 pages, one episode is more than one chapter.
They did skip some content, but it's still better than making up filler story. And yeah, I don't understand what your point is?

Tera Path

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

I've finished the manga now and the studio didn't really create a totally different story, the changes were way less drastic than I thought they were going to be, minus what happened between Kaniki and Arishima or whatever that guy is called.
The approach was different but it resulted in largely the same ending.

ToshiZO

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Lmfao too much Naruto for this guy over here.

Hey buddy, a well paced show does not have 1 chapter per ep.

123fire

Supreme
Kin
20💸
Kumi
-33💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I've finished the manga now and the studio didn't really create a totally different story, the changes were way less drastic than I thought they were going to be, minus what happened between Kaniki and Arishima or whatever that guy is called.
Still the anime felt supe rushed and mostly didn't make sense . The manga did though

Arima

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
In the manga Kaneki had development. He put together a gang, tried to figure out why he was turned into ghoul, searched for Kanou and Rize, tried to save his friends etc.

In the anime second season Kaneki was just there. He did nothing remarkable (for MC), except for for the part where he tried to save Anteiku, which did not have many details (fights, hints for Tokyo Ghoul:re) from manga.