[Discussion] When is Verizon going to take over the internet?

Multiply

Legendary
Kin
3💸
Kumi
3💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
We had to sit through months of everyone and their 'outrage' about the internet being at risk. Now that the dude whose name I don't remember completed his goal, everyone has been silent. Do you guys not care anymore? Are you fighting some underground war with petitions and online sign ups that no one will ever read? What's happening?

Also, why has my internet not been throttled or blocked? I still pay my local monopolized internet provider the same I've been paying for the past year. Someone put me on game as to why it seems like no one cares anymore and why nothing has happened negatively as far as the internet goes.

Edit: In my opinion I don't see the issue with getting rid of net neutrality. To be completely honest it seems like it only benefits the big companies that are backing it and taking the competition out of it. Net Neutrality is not capitalistic.

Last edited:

Adam Driver

Legendary
Kin
2💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
You haven't noticed any change because fcc is yet to establish new rules could take several months however many in congress are still pushing against it. Even several states are banning isps from throttling. You don't notice any change yet because there is none as of yet..

Multiply

Legendary
Kin
3💸
Kumi
3💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
You haven't noticed any change because fcc is yet to establish new rules could take several months however many in congress are still pushing against it. Even several states are banning isps from throttling. You don't notice any change yet because there is none as of yet..
Thanks bro. One love.

Lightbringer

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
The repeal only made its final draft early last month....

It's been said many times that whatever negative consequences that come from it won't happen overnight. It's a gradual effect. First you'll see certain websites slowing down, then it'll transition into higher internet service bills, etc.

That way people won't notice it as much.

Also, states are literally fighting this repeal as we speak. Some states are creating their own Net Neutrality laws to fight against it and also the Senate are getting sponsors to reverse the Net Neutrality bill. Currently they have 50 senators supporting to reverse the FCC's decision, which means they are close to a majority.

Last edited:

Wrappering_

Regular
Kin
266💸
Kumi
8,528💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
You shouldn't be spending too much time on the Internet anyways, it's not good for you. Just be content with what you've got and leave the technicalities to the Pros.

~WastelandSociety~

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I wasn’t worried about what ISP were doing before Net Neutrality,not going to worry about it now. If providers are smart enough they won’t pull anything stupid otherwise people will just find find another ISP and that company will lose money.

This whole NN issue was nothing but a scare tactic in my opinion. While those who benefited from NN were trying to cause people to panic by saying that their Netflix will stop working,etc.

Dreckerplayer

Elite
Kin
26💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
We had to sit through months of everyone and their 'outrage' about the internet being at risk. Now that the dude whose name I don't remember completed his goal, everyone has been silent. Do you guys not care anymore? Are you fighting some underground war with petitions and online sign ups that no one will ever read? What's happening?
Why are you rehashing this?Why are you taking it so seriously?

Also, why has my internet not been throttled or blocked? I still pay my local monopolized internet provider the same I've been paying for the past year. Someone put me on game as to why it seems like no one cares anymore and why nothing has happened negatively as far as the internet goes.
Are you upset about that?
Edit: In my opinion I don't see the issue with getting rid of net neutrality. To be completely honest it seems like it only benefits the big companies that are backing it and taking the competition out of it. Net Neutrality is not capitalistic.
Again, why are you rehashing this?

Multiply

Legendary
Kin
3💸
Kumi
3💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
The repeal only made its final draft early last month....

It's been said many times that whatever negative consequences that come from it won't happen overnight. It's a gradual effect. First you'll see certain websites slowing down, then it'll transition into higher internet service bills, etc.

That way people won't notice it as much.

Also, states are literally fighting this repeal as we speak. Some states are creating their own Net Neutrality laws to fight against it and also the Senate are getting sponsors to reverse the Net Neutrality bill. Currently they have 50 senators supporting to reverse the FCC's decision, which means they are close to a majority.
Idk, this seems too conspiracy-like. Like they're just going to slowly start raising my bills? I really doubt it honestly lol. I'll just switch to a cheaper alternative. Will it not be similar to a cable bill; pay for what you want? I sincerely doubt they will start throttling speed because then people will just switch to an alternative who is not throttling.

The logic behind it doesn't make sense to me. If a service provider starts charging me more money for no reason I'm not just going to sit there and continue paying. I'll switch to a cheaper alternative. In a capitalist society(Which is an internet without NN) supply and demand exists. If the demand is normal priced internet, someone will supply it. All of the companies aren't just going to raise their prices because someone will eventually take advantage of that and steal all of their customers. Causing them to lower their prices again in the first place.

I guess I just don't buy into the idea that internet will just become mad expensive and everyone is going to sit back and allow it. It just seems like there would be more of a free market. If I'm wrong though, put me on game.

You shouldn't be spending too much time on the Internet anyways, it's not good for you. Just be content with what you've got and leave the technicalities to the Pros.
The internet is used in every part of life. I'd be stupid to not be understand what's happening in the world around me.

Why are you rehashing this?Why are you taking it so seriously?

Are you upset about that?

Again, why are you rehashing this?
Why can't I ask questions?

Dreckerplayer

Elite
Kin
26💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Idk, this seems too conspiracy-like. Like they're just going to slowly start raising my bills? I really doubt it honestly lol. I'll just switch to a cheaper alternative. Will it not be similar to a cable bill; pay for what you want? I sincerely doubt they will start throttling speed because then people will just switch to an alternative who is not throttling.

The logic behind it doesn't make sense to me. If a service provider starts charging me more money for no reason I'm not just going to sit there and continue paying. I'll switch to a cheaper alternative. In a capitalist society(Which is an internet without NN) supply and demand exists. If the demand is normal priced internet, someone will supply it. All of the companies aren't just going to raise their prices because someone will eventually take advantage of that and steal all of their customers. Causing them to lower their prices again in the first place.

I guess I just don't buy into the idea that internet will just become mad expensive and everyone is going to sit back and allow it. It just seems like there would be more of a free market. If I'm wrong though, put me on game.

The internet is used in every part of life. I'd be stupid to not be understand what's happening in the world around me.

Why can't I ask questions?
Who said you couldn't?

Lightbringer

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

Except when it comes to ISPs there's essentially a monopoly in the industry. Some regions only have access to only one ISP provider and there's nothing they'd be able to do if that provider decided to raise their bills. The internet has become a utility and is no longer considered simply a luxury.

The idea that smaller companies will be able to challenge the industry is also incredibly naive as we see time and time again, larger corporations swallowing up competitors before they become a competition. Walmart is a fine example of this.

Multiply

Legendary
Kin
3💸
Kumi
3💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I can't ask a question about you asking pointless questions? You couldn't get where I was getting at?

lmao...
Why is it a pointless question? Because you don't like it? Lol.

Except when it comes to ISPs there's essentially a monopoly in the industry. Some regions only have access to only one ISP provider and there's nothing they'd be able to do if that provider decided to raise their bills. The internet has become a utility and is no longer considered simply a luxury.

The idea that smaller companies will be able to challenge the industry is also incredibly naive as we see time and time again, larger corporations swallowing up competitors before they become a competition. Walmart is a fine example of this.
Yeah, and the only way giant corporations do that is by dropping their prices so low that competitors can't compete. The best example of this was John D Rockefeller and his cronies.

If the providers did not lower prices to meet the competition they would not survive very long because there is no demand for their expensive product. Supply and demand.

Lightbringer

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Why is it a pointless question? Because you don't like it? Lol.

Yeah, and the only way giant corporations do that is by dropping their prices so low that competitors can't compete. The best example of this was John D Rockefeller and his cronies.

If the providers did not lower prices to meet the competition they would not survive very long because there is no demand for their expensive product. Supply and demand.
You cited an example from nearly a century ago....

Also if your theory was true, then why is Apple dominating the phone market, even though they don't have the best technology nor the best prices?

And tell me, where are all of these ISP competitors? You overlooked the part where I mention that a lot of regions only have access to one ISP as it is. How does what you say factor into this issue?

Multiply

Legendary
Kin
3💸
Kumi
3💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
You cited an example from nearly a century ago....

Also if your theory was true, then why is Apple dominating the phone market, even though they don't have the best technology nor the best prices?

And tell me, where are all of these ISP competitors? You overlooked the part where I mention that a lot of regions only have access to one ISP as it is. How does what you say factor into this issue?
Age doesn't make it invalid.

Apple doesn't really dominate the market as much as it once did. Samsung has taken that helm. Apple just gets the most press coverage.

When apple phones did first come out, though, they did have some of the best technology. The first few iPhones were pretty fire compared to other phones.

That is not because service providers are trying to hinder competition. It's because of the overwhelming price local governments charge to rent space for their infrastructure.

Lightbringer

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Age doesn't make it invalid.

Apple doesn't really dominate the market as much as it once did. Samsung has taken that helm. Apple just gets the most press coverage.

When apple phones did first come out, though, they did have some of the best technology. The first few iPhones were pretty fire compared to other phones.

That is not because service providers are trying to hinder competition. It's because of the overwhelming price local governments charge to rent space for their infrastructure.
I can't see the statistic, it says I have to pay for it.

Anyways, the topic is about raising prices and to settle this discussion, comcast is already planning to raise their prices and have done so almost yearly.

So yeah....

It also says:

"While Comcast did lose 134,000 residential video subscribers in Q3 of 2017, revenue from the remaining subscribers increased 4.2 percent thanks to price “adjustments," as well as customers adding on more services"

So based on that, your theory falls flat when it comes to ISPs.

And once again, you neglected my point about how certain regions have only ISP being available to them, which leaves people with only of two choices; no internet, or pay more.