Deadlift

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Despite my nickname here, I've never practiced deadlift much. My experience with weights started in summer 2014 with crossfit so you understand that I deadlifted only every now and then and not too much attention was paid to sheer strength gains.
After recovering from an injury I promised I would never practice crossfit again and in fall 2015 decided to train at a regular, commercial gym near my house. However the barbells and plates there were too ****ing small and as a result I didn't deadlift at all.
Dropped the weights and the gym in spring 2016 I decided to focus solely on endurance training (half marathons and stuff like that). I got results, but at a price: I got weak and fat. So I spent the whole summer 2017 doing HIIT at home and swimming in the sea, lost some fat and in October decided that I was ready to go to a (more decent) gym again.
So, today I was planned to test my deadlift one rep max but I'm at home with a bronchitis. I'm quite sure I should be able to deadlift 2 times my bodyweight, maybe something more.

SpaceTimeFan

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
My max was in 2012 when I was fresh out of High School and was getting ripped in the gym for when I went to College. When I started hitting the gym I weighed about 162lb at 5'10" and finished with a total weight of 180lb in about 3 months (drinking protein shakes and amino acids of course). By that time my absolute max was about 500lb. I played varsity soccer in college and once the semester started I was waaay too heavy for my position and all the running got me back down to 170lb. I currently weigh 175lb, still 5'10", (with way more fat) and don't know my max but its gotta be waaaay lower than 500 I'll tell you that. I also wanted to tell you that sometimes only doing gym or only running is not the best thing. My wife is a track athlete and I do soccer as I mentioned and we've noticed that the most fit athletes are those who have a consistent and well balanced gym and endurance training. So mix it up and see how you feel!

Deadlift

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
My max was in 2012 when I was fresh out of High School and was getting ripped in the gym for when I went to College. When I started hitting the gym I weighed about 162lb at 5'10" and finished with a total weight of 180lb in about 3 months (drinking protein shakes and amino acids of course). By that time my absolute max was about 500lb. I played varsity soccer in college and once the semester started I was waaay too heavy for my position and all the running got me back down to 170lb. I currently weigh 175lb, still 5'10", (with way more fat) and don't know my max but its gotta be waaaay lower than 500 I'll tell you that. I also wanted to tell you that sometimes only doing gym or only running is not the best thing. My wife is a track athlete and I do soccer as I mentioned and we've noticed that the most fit athletes are those who have a consistent and well balanced gym and endurance training. So mix it up and see how you feel!
Wow, 500 is great for a guy weighing 180 since is far more than twice your bodyweight. Well I can see where you're coming from, a couple years ago I too wanted to look huge and shredded, but I changed my mind since then. My goal is now maintaining my current bodyweight(around 80 kg)and deadlift 240kg, which would be three times my bodyweight, which is considered "elite" in strength sports. I know it will take a lot of time and it's not going to be easy, but since I'm lifting only since last October I know that there's room for improvement.
Also you are right, we should not limiting ourselves to train only some aspects of our physical abilities. This is one thing that crossfit got right, even though it got a lot of things wrong. Currently I'm lifting weights three times a week and doing mobility exercises twice (my hip and shoulders mobility is extremely lacking). Maybe next year I'll lift four times a week. I would also love to fix some martial arts training into that