What's the deal with the Akatsuki rings?

Luminousi

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
The members of Akatsuki are expected to follow a strict dress code, which includes a ring. The rings appear to be of great importance, as each of the ten initial members of the group wear one. A lot of significance is given to the Akatsuki rings… until they are suddenly forgotten.

When Orochimaru leaves Akatsuki, he takes his ring with him. His position is never replaced, which suggests that the ring had something to do with it. When Deidara loses his arm in battle, he returns to dangerous territory in order to reclaim the ring that is on his discarded hand. Tobi and Zetsu also perform a risky mission to retrieve Sasori’s ring from his corpse. The significance of the rings is never expanded on after this point. They are originally so irreplaceable that members of Akatsuki risk their lives to retrieve them, but suddenly drop out of the story completely without warning.

It seems that Kishimoto had lots of plans for Naruto that were never fully explored. It’s a shame that he wasn’t allowed to develop the story in the way that he wanted, as the series may have made more sense in the long-run.

Melanin

Legendary
Kin
913💸
Kumi
540💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I think Kishi actually said in an enterview somewhere that he had a lot of plans for characters like Sasori & Hidan but his teams tugged in a different direction and he had to end the manga in a timely manner or something like that (don't quote me). Orochimaru in my opinon has the most potential for more or further declopment, he's a very multi- dimensional character.

Sparks

Regular
Kin
11💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I think Kishi actually said in an enterview somewhere that he had a lot of plans for characters like Sasori & Hidan but his teams tugged in a different direction and he had to end the manga in a timely manner or something like that (don't quote me). Orochimaru in my opinon has the most potential for more or further declopment, he's a very multi- dimensional character.
I'm disappointed that this scene was never fully expanded upon. Still waiting Zzz

You must be registered for see images

OT: The Akatsuki rings likely held some part in the Nine Phantom Dragons sealing jutsu. That or they were involved in Pain's astral projection jutsu, but it was never explained either way.

Last edited:

Joshutsu

Elite
Kin
4💸
Kumi
3💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I think they allowed them to tap into communicating with pain on the gedo statue's fingers and help him extract beasts even though they weren't actually in base. Other than that I have no idea.

Alot of cool things were left out due to time constraints, we have some many hints and suggestions from part 1 that were never fully seen through to the end. Sad but that's how life is sometimes.

Styles

Legendary
Kin
16💸
Kumi
9💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I think along with the robes the ring was a symbol that you belong to akatsuki. Either that or also a way for them to do astral projection.

~Naruto&Itachi~

Legendary
Kin
35💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I thought it had something to do with the communication hologram thingy/where they stood on the hand/finger when they were extracting the tailed beasts....also found this:
Right thumb: "zero" (零, rei); worn by Pain. Its colour is purplish-grey.

Right index finger: "blue," "green" (青, ao, shō); worn by Deidara. Its colour is teal.

Right middle finger: "white" (白, bya); worn by Konan. Its colour is white.

Right ring finger: "vermilion," "scarlet" (朱, shu); worn by Itachi Uchiha. Its colour is >red.

Right little finger: "sign of the boar" (亥, gai); worn by Zetsu. Its colour is green.

Left little finger: "sky," "void" (空, kū); worn by Orochimaru. Its colour is slate blue.

Left ring finger: "south" (南, nan); worn by Kisame Hoshigaki. Its colour is yellow.

Left middle finger: "north" (北, hoku); worn by Kakuzu. Its colour is dark green.

Left index finger: "three" (三, san); worn by Hidan. Its colour is orange.

Left thumb: "jewel," "ball," also the black king in shogi (玉, gyoku); worn by Sasori and >later by Tobi. Its colour is purple.