Elite
Kin
9,371💸
Kumi
1,003💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I have read definitions and books and listened to people talk about it but I don't know if I believe people actually know what it is.

Some years ago, it said on wikipedia, that people with autism likes science.

Really?

And there was a childrens book that said Autistic people are honest to elderly people.

What?

The typical stereotype is that people with autism can't handle social situations.

Is that really true? And if so, what does that actually mean? Is it like the movies where they don't understand when to leave and when to stay, are they just awkward?

Can they function within certain limits, like "regular" humans? But when it get's to crowded or something it gets harder.

I'm not good at social situations, does that mean I have autism?

I'm not trying to be mean to autistic people, I'm just trying to understand what it actually means to have autism, what's the difference between having autism and not having autism?

salamander uchiha

Legendary
Kin
9,043💸
Kumi
6,082💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Autism varies on a spectrum from mild to severe. It all depends on where a person ranks on that scale. The more stronger it is the more reserved they are, and they focus more on basics. It varies from person to person, but they're also literalists so are usually blunt. A sign common amongst autistic people is they try to avoid eye contact and at times find it difficult to articulate their thoughts well.

They have all sorts of interests and aren't limited to one field or a few fields.

They have basic human functions, but process information a little differently. They often don't gets jokes or subtlety. They generally don't like crowds of people, especially if they don't know them.

If you've met autisitc people you will know the difference.

Not liking social enviroments, small talk, silly things doesn't make you autisitc. I'm introverted, dislike gatherings, prefer solitude and left to my own thoughts etc, but I'm not autisitic. They're also a sign of introversion amongst other things.

Not related, but I also read a study once that was studying the brains donated by autistic people. They found concentrations of aluminium found in the brains of dementia sufferers, which was disturbing. Somehow aluminium was getting past the blood brain barrier and entering the brain. I think they were studying the causal relationship between the two. The research is still ongoing.

Chikombo

Elite
Kin
9,371💸
Kumi
1,003💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Autism varies on a spectrum from mild to severe. It all depends on where a person ranks on that scale. The more stronger it is the more reserved they are, and they focus more on basics. It varies from person to person, but they're also literalists so are usually blunt. A sign common amongst autistic people is they try to avoid eye contact and at times find it difficult to articulate their thoughts well.

They have all sorts of interests and aren't limited to one field or a few fields.

They have basic human functions, but process information a little differently. They often don't gets jokes or subtlety. They generally don't like crowds of people, especially if they don't know them.

If you've met autisitc people you will know the difference.

Not liking social enviroments, small talk, silly things doesn't make you autisitc. I'm introverted, dislike gatherings, prefer solitude and left to my own thoughts etc, but I'm not autisitic. They're also a sign of introversion amongst other things.

Not related, but I also read a study once that was studying the brains donated by autistic people. They found concentrations of aluminium found in the brains of dementia sufferers, which was disturbing. Somehow aluminium was getting past the blood brain barrier and entering the brain. I think they were studying the causal relationship between the two. The research is still ongoing.
I saw a study saying if your parents are overweight there is a bigger chance you get autism as well.

I think there is much about it that people still don't know.

I have met some but I don't know if I can tell any differences between them and everyone else.

salamander uchiha

Legendary
Kin
9,043💸
Kumi
6,082💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I saw a study saying if your parents are overweight there is a bigger chance you get autism as well.

I think there is much about it that people still don't know.

I have met some but I don't know if I can tell any differences between them and everyone else.
The first is an assumption, the study I'm referring to actually cut open and studied brains of those with autism and the professor was gobsmacked.

It ranges from mild(slight) to severe(apparent), you can usually tell by their behaviour. They will have some of the things I mentioned earlier, if you're not sure you could always ask. Although asking somebody might make them take offence so it's a tough one.