Supreme
Kin
6,121💸
Kumi
1,800💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
When growing up my source for mindless trashy dumb content see in things like Maury Jerry Springer and shows of that ilk. Even shows like simpsons and south park be your source of retarded antics in animation format.

People have always had a drive for drama and sensational stupidity and move to tv pushing reality shows pushing that type of content.

And the standard for stars before the internet and social media route to become known and a star go to hollywood try to get on tv and movies and you would be a star by talent of acting or singing. Now with social media the route try become stars is do some sort of antic and if your smart enough try to monetize on it.

I think content digest more and more is moving towards indie creators but even popular shows last five to ten years had some sort of sensalist aspect to it that probably lead to its popularity.

What's your thoughts on this trend and do you think will happen in the future?

I really don't think a good story or series needs to rely on sensationalism if it's a good story I think people watch regardless or do you think it's necessary for popularity now adays?
Post automatically merged:

Also add drama is integral part in what makes any story good but dont need go down sensational route throw crazy things in make a story interesting.

Last edited:

GrapeApe

Regular
Kin
2,900💸
Kumi
15💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
its all entertainment in the end. what ive learned is stuff doesnt really even have to be deep or super conceptual with a theme for it to be entertaining. and whats entertaining is very subjective to each person

also most entertainment in any medium thats successful appeals to peoples emotion on some level. whether its timeless stuff or something flash in the pan, thats where the connection happens. not only are there tons of emotions for them to connect too but emotions also vary from day to day, even hour to hour. so i dont think people are always in the mood for certain stuff. like just because theres stuff, whether its music, art or film that you dont really have to think about, doesnt mean that people are only engaging with that because moods vary, even hourly. sometimes people are tired and just want to look at pretty people and not have to focus on anything

so with that, plus the oceans of content across streaming services for varying mediums. i dont think you can really box people in based on them watching the Kardashians every once in a while, even though its easy to hold a condescending attitude towards them, im sure they watch others stuff as well. and mindless stuff will always be apart of every artform next to super introspective and thoughtful art. its something thats always been there, its not new

Sagebee

Supreme
Kin
6,121💸
Kumi
1,800💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
its all entertainment in the end. what ive learned is stuff doesnt really even have to be deep or super conceptual with a theme for it to be entertaining. and whats entertaining is very subjective to each person

also most entertainment in any medium thats successful appeals to peoples emotion on some level. whether its timeless stuff or something flash in the pan, thats where the connection happens. not only are there tons of emotions for them to connect too but emotions also vary from day to day, even hour to hour. so i dont think people are always in the mood for certain stuff. like just because theres stuff, whether its music, art or film that you dont really have to think about, doesnt mean that people are only engaging with that because moods vary, even hourly. sometimes people are tired and just want to look at pretty people and not have to focus on anything

so with that, plus the oceans of content across streaming services for varying mediums. i dont think you can really box people in based on them watching the Kardashians every once in a while, even though its easy to hold a condescending attitude towards them, im sure they watch others stuff as well. and mindless stuff will always be apart of every artform next to super introspective and thoughtful art. its something thats always been there, its not new
That's true but will say people go that route because it's easier and that floods the market. Also people dont tend to look to being individuals and creative to find success they look for what works and try to copy that even for big time production companies producing constant remakes it's easier to follow a model you see that works and that's easy than trying to be completely unique and hope it catches success.

Reactions: GrapeApe

GrapeApe

Regular
Kin
2,900💸
Kumi
15💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
That's true but will say people go that route because it's easier and that floods the market. Also people dont tend to look to being individuals and creative to find success they look for what works and try to copy that even for big time production companies producing constant remakes it's easier to follow a model you see that works and that's easy than trying to be completely unique and hope it catches success.
i do hate the whole remake thing thats happening in hollywood this last decade, i was just talking about that when i saw a trailer for a new Terminator movie last time i went to the movies. like you know people are sending these production studios and offices original ideas all the time they arent even looking at

i think though people following, "whats successful" has always been a thing. the funny thing about that is just because its that way for one person, doesnt mean it will be for everyone who tries. i think theres two categories people fall into in the entertainment industry or any creative line of work really

theres people who love music, art film, or whatever it is and want to impact that artform in a significant way, but also want to be able to do what they love for a living and always be able to do it soley......then theres people who just want to be rich and famous and try to get that however it seems they can. they may like whatever it is their using but its not at the same level and mainly just for money or fame

Reactions: Sagebee

Sagebee

Supreme
Kin
6,121💸
Kumi
1,800💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
i do hate the whole remake thing thats happening in hollywood this last decade, i was just talking about that when i saw a trailer for a new Terminator movie last time i went to the movies. like you know people are sending these production studios and offices original ideas all the time they arent even looking at

i think though people following, "whats successful" has always been a thing. the funny thing about that is just because its that way for one person, doesnt mean it will be for everyone who tries. i think theres two categories people fall into in the entertainment industry or any creative line of work really

theres people who love music, art film, or whatever it is and want to impact that artform in a significant way, but also want to be able to do what they love for a living and always be able to do it soley......then theres people who just want to be rich and famous and try to get that however it seems they can. they may like whatever it is their using but its not at the same level and mainly just for money or fame
That's true only thing sucks since it's the entertainment industry and not the creativity industry is vast majority of content is uninspired just follows a formulaic model of what people gravitate to but like you said theres certain creative works that cut through only to be copied and milked.

Also ties into another issue of stories of why most endings and sequels etc.. tend to suck

GrapeApe

Regular
Kin
2,900💸
Kumi
15💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
That's true only thing sucks since it's the entertainment industry and not the creativity industry is vast majority of content is uninspired just follows a formulaic model of what people gravitate to but like you said theres certain creative works that cut through only to be copied and milked.

Also ties into another issue of stories of why most endings and sequels etc.. tend to suck
though the entertainment industry is a tough machine, i cant really blame it soley honestly. really anyone in anything creative will realize its a service industry, even if you want to do it for yourself, in the end youre providing a service for a consumer to be able to support yourself doing it, a lot of it based on the consumer

the consumer actually has the power rather than the other way. if people stopped being interested in this basic stuff, these businesses would stop making it so they can keep making money. critics can be a good medium between consumer and artist, to help consumers get to the really creative stuff. but they can only do so much, for that too change people would have to change

but i think at the heart of it thats the issue, a lot of people like predictability or things theyre familiar with and thats not too foreign to them. even on a day to day basis, so many people are scared to step out of their comfort zones because of the fear of change. that same fear keeps consumers paying to see the next Marvel movie and Production compainies, labels, etc. from taking risk on something that they believe in. the funny thing though ive found is all of the reward in life comes from risk

Reactions: Sagebee

Sagebee

Supreme
Kin
6,121💸
Kumi
1,800💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
though the entertainment industry is a tough machine, i cant really blame it soley honestly. really anyone in anything creative will realize its a service industry, even if you want to do it for yourself, in the end youre providing a service for a consumer to be able to support yourself doing it, a lot of it based on the consumer

the consumer actually has the power rather than the other way. if people stopped being interested in this basic stuff, these businesses would stop making it so they can keep making money. critics can be a good medium between consumer and artist, to help consumers get to the really creative stuff. but they can only do so much, for that too change people would have to change

but i think at the heart of it thats the issue, a lot of people like predictability or things theyre familiar with and thats not too foreign to them. even on a day to day basis, so many people are scared to step out of their comfort zones because of the fear of change. that same fear keeps consumers paying to see the next Marvel movie and Production compainies, labels, etc. from taking risk on something that they believe in. the funny thing though ive found is all of the reward in life comes from risk
Lol true again its consumers fault for buying what's predictable or just relies on pure sensationalism to sell man why do we have such low standards

• Haha
Reactions: GrapeApe

GrapeApe

Regular
Kin
2,900💸
Kumi
15💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Lol true again its consumers fault for buying what's predictable or just relies on pure sensationalism to sell man why do we have such low standards
i dont and a lot of people in my circle arent. i cant really speak for everyone else though

but i think it comes from fear, a lot of actions subconsciously are fear based in our society ive learned, even in how things are marketed to people, its deep. i think its a fear of losing money or wasting time, that stops people from experimenting or stepping outside of their comfort zone to try something new. even if they arent always conscious of it all the time or willing to admit it

HowDidIGetPrem

Elite
Kin
5,803💸
Kumi
1,192💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I don't believe this is an effect of reality tv or edgy comedies, but the fact that there's already so much content out there. My thoughts hinge on one written by Grape; People don't want to feel like they've wasted their time or whatever. Sensationalism nets popularity, and popularity provides an answer to the question of "should I watch this." If it's popular, there are higher odds that you'll enjoy it.

That aside, I don't like how you paint "sensationalism" as this big bad. Let's use South Park as an example. Its sensationalism(e.g. what leads to you seeing it appear in the news) is largely its blunt takes on issues that often go unspoken of in other mediums. Whether their take is a flop such as ManBearPig, which showcased their previous denial of climate change, or a success such as their take on corporations valuing China's money above human rights, they add fuel to notable issues that often go unmentioned. Not to say all sensationalism is good though because is definitely the terrible sort. Those that hinge on little more than the taboo such as excessive cursing, gore, or some left field shit like are proof to the fact.

I also don't see the issue in fame being more accessible? If they have a steady enough following to be famous, they've already earned their spot regardless of how little you think of them. Stars not passing your criteria doesn't invalidate them as stars.

Sagebee

Supreme
Kin
6,121💸
Kumi
1,800💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I don't believe this is an effect of reality tv or edgy comedies, but the fact that there's already so much content out there. My thoughts hinge on one written by Grape; People don't want to feel like they've wasted their time or whatever. Sensationalism nets popularity, and popularity provides an answer to the question of "should I watch this." If it's popular, there are higher odds that you'll enjoy it.

That aside, I don't like how you paint "sensationalism" as this big bad. Let's use South Park as an example. Its sensationalism(e.g. what leads to you seeing it appear in the news) is largely its blunt takes on issues that often go unspoken of in other mediums. Whether their take is a flop such as ManBearPig, which showcased their previous denial of climate change, or a success such as their take on corporations valuing China's money above human rights, they add fuel to notable issues that often go unmentioned. Not to say all sensationalism is good though because is definitely the terrible sort. Those that hinge on little more than the taboo such as excessive cursing, gore, or some left field shit like are proof to the fact.

I also don't see the issue in fame being more accessible? If they have a steady enough following to be famous, they've already earned their spot regardless of how little you think of them. Stars not passing your criteria doesn't invalidate them as stars.
My point about people using sensationalism in social media generation isnt an issue of fame being more accessory that since it's more accessible people choose sensationalism in hope to get fame.

Also about south park having social value they point out social truths but objective still is entertainment through sensationalism so they're still feeding the same machine.

And I think it's a pretty big issue where we see how much value in it that someone is elected president due to it and watching constant circus show thsy we love hate watch. So I do think peoples over love of sensationalism is a bad thing.