Year of Serialization: 9 Jul 2009 – 17 Sep 2009

Author(s): Natsuko Takahashi

Artist(s): BONES/Kinema Citrus

Genre(s): Drama

Current Status: 11 episodes(completed)

Moment of Reviewing: episode 11

Other Formats: Light Novel

Summary

The premise of the project is the 70% possibility that a magnitude 7.0 earthquake will occur in Tokyo in the next 30 years. The anime depicts what would happen if an 8.0 earthquake took place.

The story centers on Mirai, a middle school freshman girl who goes to Tokyo’s artificial Odaiba Island for a robot exhibition with her brother Yuuki at the start of summer vacation. A powerful tremor emanates from an ocean trench, the famed Tokyo Tower and Rainbow Bridge crumble and fall, and the landscape of Tokyo changes in an instant. With the help of a motorcycle delivery woman named Mari who they meet on Odaiba, Mirai and Yuuki strive to head back to their Setagaya home in western Tokyo

Critical Review
みなさん、こんにちは! Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 was a fantastic anime. When watching it you can really tell how much research and planning went into the storyboard. What was most appealing about this anime was the fact it was based on real statistics; and had a ‘if this happened, what would happen next’ feeling to it. They also made it as realistic as possible, for an anime, which was a refreshing change from the usual anime’esque! For those of you who haven’t seen this one yet, it’s a hypothetical about Tokyo as ground zero for an 8.0 earthquake and the aftermath that follows. A very moving story and the realism made it very easy to project yourself into the anime world. Character development was great as is expected in an adventure where theres plenty of time ‘along the way’ for lengthy conversations. Yuuki Onozawa (main) was my favorite character in the anime. He’s just a young boy and even after this crazy natural disaster happens he still maintains the best outlook and attitude. Overall, TM 8.0 imparted mixed feelings, happy and sad but a good sad like the ending of Ano Hana sad. This anime is coming highly recommended.

You must be registered for see images

Rating: 8.5/10

[video=youtube;8zaGA3tq6Ro]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zaGA3tq6Ro[/video]

Reactions: Jinrou

Jinrou

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
-6💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Haha happy ending? I believe that ending is more of what they call 'bitter sweet' I actually shed tears at the end.
Good review and at least I know now I am probably never going to see AnoHana! xD
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0. 9/10 for me.

Reactions: Cresee