Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
The Straw Hat
Ok when "Dark King" Silver Rayleigh said to Luffy "You are worthy of the strawhat". I thought wat does he mean about the straw hat but then. Then we saw Gol D. Roger with the straw hat (Chapter 603 page 6) and Shanks was a crew member so he probably had Roger's hat he told Luffy " Take care of this hat for me. It's my treasure" he meant as protect it it is the only thing I have left of my captain.
So The straw hat is a sign whoever wields it is bound to be a legendary pirate
Gol D. Roger
With the straw hat he was able to control the worlds deadliest sea

"Red Hair" Shanks
With it he was able to become a one of the four yonkou one of Pirate Legends

"Straw Hat" Luffy
With it he was able to become a legendary pirate of his own the world wants his head. *Going out in a limb here but will probably take WhiteBeards spot as the yonkou* he was able to defeat 3 of the Shichi Bukai ( "The Tyrant" Bartholomew Kuma, Crocodile, Gecko Moria) and make one fall in love with him basically he controls her. Destroy 3 of the world government's main spots. ( Enies Lobby, MarineFord, and Impel Down)

Discuss, please leave a comment:D

Reactions: platinum69

Lili-Chwan

Legendary
Kin
3,929💸
Kumi
2,318💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
It is not so much of a sign, as it is a bet on the future. If you look back on Enies Lobby, Franky burnt the Blueprints, saying that he would bet the future of the World on Luffy. It is unknown if Gol D. Roger received the Straw Hat on his own, or was given by yet another extraordinary people, but the fact is that he built such amazing fame and prestige on his own, being truthful to his ways all his life. He was the Pirate King, and I think we're at a point where we know all the deep and overwhelming meaning those two words mean.

The Straw Hat was then made a symbol, as it was attached to Gol D. Roger. All his Crew were fond of him, and respected him, and seeing that the Straw Hat belonged to him, they would associate. It is not different from looking at a family's ring, or necklace or other object, that are passed down generation from generation. They're meaningful objects to oneself, but that in truth, are simply memories of the beloved people that wore them.

Shanks was a very determined, honest and overall amazing pirate, right from the beginning. It can be deduct, that Gol D. Roger, upon seeing him, knew that he would one day become huge. And on his love for Shanks, and on a gamble in the future, he passed down his hat to him. With his captain on his heart, he lived by the premises of Roger, and went on, to make himself heard to the World.

He was then stopped by Luffy. Which from such a tender age shown such willpower and such an amazing dream, that it touched Shanks. Luffy's willpower and determination were so much alike Roger, that instead of aspiring to become the Pirate King, Shanks already knew who'd be the true one. That is why, for around 10 years, no one really became the Pirate King. (Now I'm going on a limb, for there could be other reason. I don't know enough of the New World or the end of Grand Line). The fact is, there are 4 incredibly powerful pirates in the world (now 3), but none of them is considered to be the Pirate King.

So Shanks knew he wouldn't be. The one who would be the Pirate King, and live out the dream of Gol D. Roger, would be Luffy. And so, the Hat was passed down.

It is not so much as whoever has the hat is bound to become an extraordinary pirate, it's that whoever received the Hat, has shown the will to be one.

Reactions: BlacKing

BlacKing

Legendary
Kin
284💸
Kumi
1,737💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
It is not so much of a sign, as it is a bet on the future. If you look back on Enies Lobby, Franky burnt the Blueprints, saying that he would bet the future of the World on Luffy. It is unknown if Gol D. Roger received the Straw Hat on his own, or was given by yet another extraordinary people, but the fact is that he built such amazing fame and prestige on his own, being truthful to his ways all his life. He was the Pirate King, and I think we're at a point where we know all the deep and overwhelming meaning those two words mean.

The Straw Hat was then made a symbol, as it was attached to Gol D. Roger. All his Crew were fond of him, and respected him, and seeing that the Straw Hat belonged to him, they would associate. It is not different from looking at a family's ring, or necklace or other object, that are passed down generation from generation. They're meaningful objects to oneself, but that in truth, are simply memories of the beloved people that wore them.

Shanks was a very determined, honest and overall amazing pirate, right from the beginning. It can be deduct, that Gol D. Roger, upon seeing him, knew that he would one day become huge. And on his love for Shanks, and on a gamble in the future, he passed down his hat to him. With his captain on his heart, he lived by the premises of Roger, and went on, to make himself heard to the World.

He was then stopped by Luffy. Which from such a tender age shown such willpower and such an amazing dream, that it touched Shanks. Luffy's willpower and determination were so much alike Roger, that instead of aspiring to become the Pirate King, Shanks already knew who'd be the true one. That is why, for around 10 years, no one really became the Pirate King. (Now I'm going on a limb, for there could be other reason. I don't know enough of the New World or the end of Grand Line). The fact is, there are 4 incredibly powerful pirates in the world (now 3), but none of them is considered to be the Pirate King.

So Shanks knew he wouldn't be. The one who would be the Pirate King, and live out the dream of Gol D. Roger, would be Luffy. And so, the Hat was passed down.

It is not so much as whoever has the hat is bound to become an extraordinary pirate, it's that whoever received the Hat, has shown the will to be one.
couldnt have said it better.

Also to Neon, when did Luffy beat Kuma exactly? i dont recall that

Jokey

Supreme
Kin
113💸
Kumi
3💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
True. He didn't Beat him. He Escaped. Franky made him his slave because Franky defeated him or Kuma chose to be his slave or had respect for Luffy thats why he Protected Sunny

Caliburn

Supreme
Kin
2,805💸
Kumi
525💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
You're thinking in the completely wrong direction. Gol D Roger, Shanks and Luffy didn't became great pirates due to the hat, the hat became famous due to the pirates who wore them. You're saying that everyone who wears that hat becomes famous, no that hat became famous due to pirates like Shanks and Luffy. This is also implied by Rayleigh when he said that the hat suits Luffy as Luffy has a lot of potential to become a great pirate and because that hat has been worn by great pirates before, so it's a perfect match. That's the complete opposite of what you're saying.

That hat is nothing special, it's just a plain old strawhat. The reason why it's so important to the story is due to the massive emotional value it has to Luffy, there is were it started. Originally we didn't even know that Shanks was such a great pirate. That hat was important because it was so important to Luffy, the main character, that's it. When it was said that Shanks was a Yonkou, that hat got a deeper dimension and when it was said that Roger had it too, it got an even deeper one. That strawhat became both an important symbol for Luffy as for the outside world (because it was his trademark, the Strawhat pirates) and for the entire manga of One Piece for us. Still it's just a hat.

In fact when Gol D Roger became the Pirate King he didn't even had that strawhat anymore.

Also he didn't beat Kuma and he didn't destroy the 3 facilities. Yes he destroyed Ennies Lobby, he partially destroyed Impel Down, but with that it was more due to Magellan himself and people like Ivankov, Jinbei, Crocodile and all the others. He didn't destroy Marinford =/ that were WB, BB and their crews. Luffy fought in the war, but he barely destroyed anything.

True. He didn't Beat him. He Escaped. Franky made him his slave because Franky defeated him or Kuma chose to be his slave or had respect for Luffy thats why he Protected Sunny
What the hell are you saying? It makes no sense o_O Kuma just made a deal with dr Vegapunk: he would loose all his memories, though the task of protecting the Thousand Sunny till someone of the Strawhats appears -no matter which one- to get it back would be programmed in him. Franky was just the first one at the ship. When Kuma saw Franky, his programmed task was done.

Last edited:

BlacKing

Legendary
Kin
284💸
Kumi
1,737💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Ididn't mean as in kuma kuma but as in the pacista or something the ones who are exactly like kuma
He still didnt defeat them. One got taken out by the Doc Reindeer gone mad (lol) and the others were taken out by the Drag Queen guy. (sorry can't remember names right now. I'm like half sleep. Its been a LONG day. lol)

Lili-Chwan

Legendary
Kin
3,929💸
Kumi
2,318💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
He still didnt defeat them. One got taken out by the Doc Reindeer gone mad (lol) and the others were taken out by the Drag Queen guy. (sorry can't remember names right now. I'm like half sleep. Its been a LONG day. lol)
Straw Hats, including Luffy, destroyed 1 Pacifista, before the Time Skip.
Luffy Single-handedly destroyed 1 Pacifista, after the Time Skip.
Kuma was never defeated by Straw Hat, nor by anyone, as far as I'm concerned.

@Caliburn, exactly. Great Pirates made the Hat, not the Hat made Great Pirates.

Mr.Zero

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
ok messed up its not saying wat i meant to say I meant anyone who is famous has the hat not if u have the hat ur famous

and the three facilities not destroyed but did the impossible went to enies lobby and came back. Went to Impel down and freed everyone. marineford fought in the war over there sorry i messed up the whole thread :confused:

Last edited:

BlacKing

Legendary
Kin
284💸
Kumi
1,737💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Straw Hats, including Luffy, destroyed 1 Pacifista, before the Time Skip.
Luffy Single-handedly destroyed 1 Pacifista, after the Time Skip.
Kuma was never defeated by Straw Hat, nor by anyone, as far as I'm concerned.

@Caliburn, exactly. Great Pirates made the Hat, not the Hat made Great Pirates.
Ahh ok Cool. Thx Liliana and Sorry Neon. I coulda sworn that it was Chopper taking out one. But now that i'm not sleeping right now i remember the second one came and thats the one Chopper was attacking. Then came the Original Kuma and flew everyone away.

Mr.Zero

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
thank u becuz i messed up the whole thread becuz i wasn't clear with what i really meant and u guys just made me feel like:drunk:

platinum69

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
You're thinking in the completely wrong direction. Gol D Roger, Shanks and Luffy didn't became great pirates due to the hat, the hat became famous due to the pirates who wore them. You're saying that everyone who wears that hat becomes famous, no that hat became famous due to pirates like Shanks and Luffy. This is also implied by Rayleigh when he said that the hat suits Luffy as Luffy has a lot of potential to become a great pirate and because that hat has been worn by great pirates before, so it's a perfect match. That's the complete opposite of what you're saying.

That hat is nothing special, it's just a plain old strawhat. The reason why it's so important to the story is due to the massive emotional value it has to Luffy, there is were it started. Originally we didn't even know that Shanks was such a great pirate. That hat was important because it was so important to Luffy, the main character, that's it. When it was said that Shanks was a Yonkou, that hat got a deeper dimension and when it was said that Roger had it too, it got an even deeper one. That strawhat became both an important symbol for Luffy as for the outside world (because it was his trademark, the Strawhat pirates) and for the entire manga of One Piece for us. Still it's just a hat.

In fact when Gol D Roger became the Pirate King he didn't even had that strawhat anymore.

Also he didn't beat Kuma and he didn't destroy the 3 facilities. Yes he destroyed Ennies Lobby, he partially destroyed Impel Down, but with that it was more due to Magellan himself and people like Ivankov, Jinbei, Crocodile and all the others. He didn't destroy Marinford =/ that were WB, BB and their crews. Luffy fought in the war, but he barely destroyed anything.
copy and paste this... the Logic you have used is awesome...

I doubt Shanks would stand in Luffys way to be PK...

Mr.Zero

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
well I am pretty sure Luffy wouldn't be accepted by all as the pirate king if he doesn't defeat or like get the acknowledgment of all the yonkous as the strongest but he would have to prove it to the rest of how strong he truly is