[Fantasy] The Lords of the elements — Chapter II (The Last Days of Peace)

Glad Of War

Elite
Kin
117💸
Kumi
3💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
You must be registered for see images

Previous Chapters

[SIZE=+1]CHAPTER II — The Last Days of Peace[/SIZE]​

Ivan, Ivan, Ivan! the vibrant voice kept on repeating albeit intermittently. "Where am I? Am I dead?" — By this time Ivan had already open his eyes. The sudden luminous light rays which had engulfed his pupils made his sight blurring for a brief moment. Still contemplating where he was, Ivan heard the same vibrant voice once more — "Ivan You're finally awake!" Lugging his pupils sideways, Ivan saw his beloved sister Ara standing beside him with her hands both intertwine. "Is this heaven?" — He muttered faintly. The sight of his sister vibrant face had brought a bit of happiness to him, yet he wondered how she could stand beside him so energetically. Was it possible, they were in the after-life after all? "No silly, we aren't dead yet" — replied the determine Ara with a cheerful grin. Her response made Ivan bewildered. Not only wasn't he dead, Ara seem to be completely cured from her dreadful illness almost as if nothing had happened. "I guess I must have been dreaming all this while" — Ivan again said in a rather conclusively manner with his tone now less faintly than before. As if Ara knew what he was going to say, she immediately refuted replying — "No you're not big brother. This isn't a dream, neither is this heaven. You were found by some of the villagers at the bottom of the mountain with a bag of tulips which healed me." These words brought a soothing relief to Ivan. However as soon as she finish her sentence, an eloquent thought which he had perhaps almost forgotten hit him. Reacting to this thought, he immediately place his right hand just below his abdomen hoping to find something concerning what he had faced earlier. Howbeit not only didn't he discover anything significant, there wasn't even a sign of a single scratch. This made him reminisce about the moment he was impaled on his cogitation, The pain, the loss of breath, the regret, they all seem too real. "Surely it wasn't a dream, it cannot be!" Ivan by now was dumbfounded. He needed answers as quickly as possible to quench this sudden inquisitiveness. Looking at his sister once more he asked without trying to give way his befuddlement on the matter — "When I was found, was there a man with my body?" Ara couldn't understand why Ivan was asking all these spasmodic questions but nonetheless replied while holding his arms — "No there wasn't anyone at least not to my knowledge, you were found isolated." Tightening her grip on Ivan's arm, she followed up with a puzzled look up and then asked a question forthwith — "Is there anything wrong Brother?" By now Ivan could tell Ara already knew something wasn't right. Why wouldn't she? Ara could always tell if something wasn't right through mere glances. It was her own unique gift perhaps granted by the gods themselves. "No not all. I felt I wasn't alone while up on the mountain. Maybe I was being delusional." Ivan muttered with both his eyes now fixated on hers. The reaction on her face after he answered her question was somewhat subtle to read. Even though she tried to hide it, Ivan knew she was trying not to be persistent because of his condition. "You know what Ivan, I'll leave you to rest for now. I'll revisit you later in the day" — She said mildly, while loosening her grip from Ivan's hands. Then she stood up and straighten her linen garment before leaving the inn. Alas, Ivan was once again alone with his thoughts. The man he had seen earlier in the cave was a baffling mystery he needed to solve or could it be there wasn't even a cave to begin with, and all that he saw was only a figment of his imagination? Placing the back of his head gently on the fluffy pillow underneath his body, Ivan stare at the ceiling above him which was covered with truss straws. The mesmerizing nature of the straws subjugated Ivan to his thoughts.

Meanwhile about a thousand miles away from Ivan's village, something peculiar was about to occur. It was on an obscene place called "Ascarvath." Ascarvath was a region known for its calamitous occurrences just below the southern hemisphere. The dead still stuck on the realm of the living, was said to roam around the very lands of Ascarvath looking for souls with pure essence to devour. In every land, there is always a ruler and Ascarvath wasn't an exception. It was ruled by a powerful sorcerer named Novalon who had enigmatically escape Urion's compelling curse through an unknown means. As a result of escaping the world inevitable fate, Novalon became extremely knowledgeable in art of dark elements. He could manipulate all the elements to do his biddings. An ability even the gods probably envied. Yet he wasn't an all powerful being . .

"Come on men, stick together" — Shouted vigorously by the commander of the Midnight barricade. A special task force of the Kingdom of Fiergard subjected to a reconnaissance mission on the outskirts of Ascarvath. Turbulent stories had emerges from the lips of several travelers swearing to had witness the killing of their comrades, siblings, acquaintances from something unexplainable. The stories circulated like a wild fire rampaging through desert bushes even going as far as the gracious hall of King castle. Apart from Ascarvath, King Dollie ruled the kingdom of Fiergard. A vast cold wilderness on the continent of Nerum just below the equator. He was a fierce yet prudence ruler known for his firm grip through out all the lands. The people of Fiergard in turn respected his efforts and decisions wholeheartedly. Distinguish guests who were graced by his presence, admitted how intimidated they were by just standing next to him. Indeed King Dollie was a giant standing at seven cubic-meters. His dark hair was plump and curly, his eyes dazzling blue with a pointed nose shaped like a spear. The brobdingnagian king had an attire consisting of a — woolen jacket and linen pleatings fitted for a King which he wore on casual occasions. Notwithstanding, when he wasn't dressed in that, he was mostly seen wearing a raiment of a typical Knight consisting of a linen undergarment, woolen stockings, greeves plates which protected the calf and ankle, Poleyns plates which protected the knee cap, Sabatons for the feets, metallic breast plate for the chest, back plate for the back and golden faulds attached to the breast plate which protected the hips, abdomen and the lower back. He also carried a red-cape bearing the insignia of Fiergard (An eagle).

[SIZE=+2]♈[/SIZE]​

"Hail members of the King of cabinet, you shall now be received by King" said the announcer in an exuberant tone. In moments, King Dollie walked graciously into the great hall with his helmet clinging to the side of his body and supported by his left arm. The great hall was a rectangular room between one and a half and three times as long as it was wide, and also higher than it was wide. It was entered through a screens passage at one end, and had windows on one of the long sides, often including a large bay window. There was often a minstrel's gallery above the screens passage. At the other end of the hall was the dais where the top table was situated. The King's family's more private rooms lay beyond the dais end of the hall, and the kitchen, buttery and pantry were on the opposite side of the screens passage. King Dollie sat on the center sit, facing his cabinet members. There were five members registered to the King cabinets from distinctive houses. The King cabinets members are as follows; John Lionel from the House of Lionel, William ferral from the House of Ferral, James Alderson from the House of Alderson, Witmer Stark from the House of Stark and Glenn Potifier from the House of Potifier. The King's guard John Lionel, who was amongst the cabinets commenced the meeting by introducing the pressing matters on the table. He talked about the recent reports of people getting missing along the outskirts of Ascarvath and argued there is possibly an element of truth in their requisition. "Nonsense! Those are nothing but vague subterfuge. Ascarvath has been insolated for centries" — Implied James Aldenson. An old man known for his cunning ways. Although he refuted this claim countless times. Nevertheless, Just as a leopard can never hide its spots, Aldenson couldn't help but sneak into gambling houses and brothels as well. "Aldenson, Don't you know there is always an element of truth in rumors?" — John Lionel replied with an irritated look almost conspicuous on his unwrinkled face. He followed up almost instantaneously by asking a rhetorical question — "Or are you saying we should throw a blind eye on this matter?" James Alderson and John Lionel where nothing alike. They despise each other and notably had frequent bickering more than anyone amongst the King's cabinet. John being the complete opposite of his counterpart felt Alderson should be excommunicated from the cabinet which a majority of the members agreed on. However by virtue of Alderson cunning ways, King Dollie purposed Alderson shouldn't be excommunicated for the reason that his insidious ways might become the Kingdom greatest assert when confronted with dire dilemmas. "John I ask, why shouldn't we throw a blind eye on something that is practically non-existent?" — Asked the insidious James Alderson who threw the question right back at John's face. John Lionel sighed and replied with a bit of witticism "It does no good to beat a dead horse so as also responding to your insolent questions.""That's enough both of you!" King Dollie interrupted with a stern tone. "I'm tired of your petty arguments you two engage in. On the point of this matter, I'll see to it some of my finest Knights check out the outskirt of Ascarvath and relay the information back here. This meeting is Adjourned!" King Dollie stood up from his bronze chair made with finesse and left the hall with his cape leaving the ground granules in its wake.

The next morning, twelve midnights of the King's barricade left for Ascarvath with their armors, weapons and horses. These weren't ordinary Knights! They were called the Stechen Wasp literally meaning "Stinging Wasp." Mostly however, they were usually sent on reconnaissance missions to retrieve important informations from their enemies. Pete Newman the commander of the Knights was a noble fellow. He wasn't just considered a commander but also a fatherly figure amongst the other midnights. He stood up for what is right and rebuked injustice. In the wake of getting on the outskirts of Ascarvath (A cold deserted wasteland filled with trees without leaves), the Midnights decided to rest seeing as darkness began to emanate the forest. They build up a camp, fed the horses, made fire and rested. Little did they know not all look as it seems. The moon was at its peak when the midnights began hearing perplexing sounds and growls from the innermost part of the forest. A sound that wasn't normal. At first, they thought it was nothing but wolves scavenging the lands in search for sustenance. This thought however was quickly overlooked as a loud cry was heard amongst the midnights camp. A cry that perhaps could be heard from the very abode of the King's castle. Immediately, the midnights got up with their swords, shields, arrows and notice one of their own was missing. A sense of panic envelope the camp almost as soon the cry was no more. They collectively decided to scatter themselves around the forest in an attempt to find their missing comrade and — solve this subtlety before it becomes something insolvable. As the Moon with its infinite embrace continue to lite up the forest. The midnights searched the forest with their swords and fire sticks. They were vigorous in their search, wrecking anything in their paths. Even the weeds and feeble branches weren't exempted of this cruelty. In the latter minutes, another cry was heard. The midnights could do nothing but guess the new victim this time. Their minds became plagued with contemplation and uncertainty. "Were the travelers right after all?" Pete Newman decided to shoot an arrow covered with fire into the vast expanding sky. This act was a type of signal for regrouping. As the midnights hone towards the point of where the arrow was shot, another cry was heard once more. Then again and again and again! Until no cry was heard no more much to Pete's horror. "What's going on" — he muttered as the cold wind penetrated into the very interstice of his spine. He realized he was probably all alone as the silence hip more misery on him. Gripping unto his sword, Pete pointed it at the inert trees surrounding him. The man felt like he was in a prison without doors or windows. Suddenly, he heard the growls once more emanating from the crannies of the trees. He noticed several silhouette of some sort whisking through the trees in a zig-zag manner. Then he felt something behind him breathing down his neck. This prompted him to turn around, albeit he hesitated as he was weary of what he would find. Turning around inevitably, Pete Newman saw a man. But it wasn't really a normal man. It seemed dead, pupiless and — hideous. Pete couldn't utter a single word as he watched the beast growling at his face. Instinctively, he grip his sword and tried swinging it at the beast only to feel his head hacked off from his body, bouncing unto the cold floor!

[SIZE=+1]Author's Note.[/SIZE]​

I wasn't hell bent on writing an Author's note earlier but I guess I needed to clear some issues. This is the second chapter of the Lord of the elements and from its content you might had already guessed this story is quite similar to some of the prominent fantasy stories out there. I was suppose to draw a map, depicting the continents, kingdoms and cities so as not to make it difficult to understand but haven't have the time to do so yet. There are quite a large number of characters which will be introduced later on. Ivan however is the protagonist of this story and his role is to bring together all the nations, kindred, kingdoms together and defeat Novalon from taking over Evion. Basically, he's the choosen one, the savior of the world. Before he can do this however, he's going to pass through numerous trails and even grow up. Anyway, I can only advice you the readers to try and enjoy the mysteries, twists, cliffhanger and everything enigmatic that makes up this story, Thank you!

- Devon

Last edited:

Michael92

Legendary
Kin
13,586💸
Kumi
74,831💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I'll comment once I've read it, but this time it won't happen before we draw closer to new year. And by that time, this chapter ought to be flawless (no pun to your previous username intended xP) ;).

Omega

Legendary
Kin
49💸
Kumi
16💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I've just glanced at your story. I like fantasy based stories and I am even in the process of making one myself. I'll have to read your chapters later as it looks like it is a pretty interesting ff.

Glad Of War

Elite
Kin
117💸
Kumi
3💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I've just glanced at your story. I like fantasy based stories and I am even in the process of making one myself. I'll have to read your chapters later as it looks like it is a pretty interesting ff.
Nice to see someone having affection for fantasy stories just like me. I'll love to see yours as well when you eventually finished it.

Please take your time, Personally I feel this is best I've written so far! If I may ask, what's your favorite fantasy stories?

Omega

Legendary
Kin
49💸
Kumi
16💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Nice to see someone having affection for fantasy stories just like me. I'll love to see yours as well when you eventually finished it.

Please take your time, Personally I feel this is best I've written so far! If I may ask, what's your favorite fantasy stories?
Its cliché but it really started with final fantasy. So most of my affection stems from games like Final fantasy or Zelda. LMAO, when I was little the first game that really impacted me was FF9 bcuz I saw my sister play it. My parents didn't really allow fantasy games (they thought it was the devil but they are more lenient now) so FF9 was basically the first thing I saw. If you meant type by like genre then I can't really say. I just know I wasn't into the whole twilight vampire craze (nothing against vampires but I didn't care for twilight). Stories in line with you know Lord of the rings, kingdoms, war, mythical beasts, gods etc. Any of those things are fine with me and I'm usually open to explore new ideas.

As a young kid in elementary I actually used to read a lot of novels. They said I had a college reading level..(I took the test in the 2nd grade) One series that really caught my interest was Artemis Fowl so I used to read those a lot.

Sometime during my elementary years (even though probably not pure fantasy) I picked up a mythology book and read it. It really interested me.

In the fourth grade there was a book fair. While everyone picked up the latest copy of captain underpants I got The Knights of the Round Table. (I think that's what it was called...either that or King Arthur for 50cents. Idk the title but it was about them. xD I still have it so I'll have to check when I go back home for the semester)

P.S I also like the Tales game series.

Last edited:

Glad Of War

Elite
Kin
117💸
Kumi
3💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Its cliché but it really started with final fantasy. So most of my affection stems from games like Final fantasy or Zelda. LMAO, when I was little the first game that really impacted me was FF9 bcuz I saw my sister play it. My parents didn't really allow fantasy games (they thought it was the devil but they are more lenient now) so FF9 was basically the first thing I saw. If you meant type by like genre then I can't really say. I just know I wasn't into the whole twilight vampire craze (nothing against vampires but I didn't care for twilight). Stories in line with you know Lord of the rings, kingdoms, war, mythical beasts, gods etc. Any of those things are fine with me and I'm usually open to explore new ideas.

As a young kid in elementary I actually used to read a lot of novels. They said I had a college reading level..(I took the test in the 2nd grade) One series that really caught my interest was Artemis Fowl so I used to read those a lot.

Sometime during my elementary years (even though probably not pure fantasy) I picked up a mythology book and read it. It really interested me.

In the fourth grade there was a book fair. While everyone picked up the latest copy of captain underpants I got The Knights of the Round Table. (I think that's what it was called...either that or King Arthur for 50cents. Idk the title but it was about them. xD I still have it so I'll have to check when I go back home for the semester)

P.S I also like the Tales game series.
I see. I've seen Final fantasy, but haven't just been privilege of playing it. Same goes with Zelda. In terms of genre and novels however, I have come to love numerous fantasy novels and even movies. I'm usually more attracted to mythology fantasy genres than other genres. I really do love vampire stories/movies, although I think it depends on the uniqueness of story-line. For example, I'm really not into Twilight Saga and all, but vampire movies such as Underworld certainly gets my praise. I do love Lord of the rings trilogy as it's one of the very first fantasy movies that made me wanting more. Then there is Chronicles of Narnia, Rise of the Titans and Games of thrones.

I enjoyed reading fantasy stories as a young chap as well. Most I can remember are Things fall apart, Beauty and the Beast and Cinderella I remember trying to re-enact some of the plots in my imagination. Greek mythologies has to be among my favorite. The mythical beasts, gods, gets me craving for me. An example of this is, God of war. I'm also into old english fantasy such as, Merlin and King Arthur e.t.c.

In conclusion, my all time favorite has to Lords of the Ring.

Last edited:

GinkgoLeaf Girl

Regular
Kin
114💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
This is getting exciting! I'm glad that Ivan and Ara are both okay, but I wonder what happened to him earlier :hmm: Also, what is going on? What was that creature/person/monster that Pete and his knights had the misfortune of meeting?

Thanks for writing and I look forward to reading more :)

Reactions: Glad Of War

Glad Of War

Elite
Kin
117💸
Kumi
3💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
This is getting exciting! I'm glad that Ivan and Ara are both okay, but I wonder what happened to him earlier :hmm: Also, what is going on? What was that creature/person/monster that Pete and his knights had the misfortune of meeting?

Thanks for writing and I look forward to reading more :)
Thanks leaf once again. Like I said Ivan and Ara, are going to get separated for some reason. Their separation basically would indirectly make Ivan understand his role in stopping the war. Whooooosh, just realize am spoiling again but I'm guessing you get the point. Concerning those creatures, you'll get to know where they originated from. They would seem dense, but they actually intelligent to an extent and they have distinctive abilities which will also be revealed later. :)

Once again, thanks for reading this. I quite bewildered on how you got through with them so casually. It seems you have a thing for novels and fantasy don't you? For me writing them isn't the hard part, but reading them :lol Probably is the reason I tend to make unnecessary grammatical errors. Anyway thanks again for reading this. I'll release the next chapter in the upcoming days hopefully. :whip:

GinkgoLeaf Girl

Regular
Kin
114💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Thanks leaf once again. Like I said Ivan and Ara, are going to get separated for some reason. Their separation basically would indirectly make Ivan understand his role in stopping the war. Whooooosh, just realize am spoiling again but I'm guessing you get the point. Concerning those creatures, you'll get to know where they originated from. They would seem dense, but they actually intelligent to an extent and they have distinctive abilities which will also be revealed later. :)

Once again, thanks for reading this. I quite bewildered on how you got through with them so casually. It seems you have a thing for novels and fantasy don't you? For me writing them isn't the hard part, but reading them :lol Probably is the reason I tend to make unnecessary grammatical errors. Anyway thanks again for reading this. I'll release the next chapter in the upcoming days hopefully. :whip:
Thank you =D And all of that sounds pretty interesting, Monster :)

Lol, was I not suppose to read it so casually? I just enjoy leisure reading in general *_* Oh and I did not say anything about the grammatical errors because I knew you were already aware of them :p Don't worry, Monster; I wasn't really bothered by them or anything and plus, I think some of them were just typos *_* You have a neat way of story telling :)

Thanks for writing and I look forward to chapter 3 soon =D

Michael92

Legendary
Kin
13,586💸
Kumi
74,831💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Alright finally gave it a quick read, and I must say, when I saw that small letter mistake in the very first sentence, I immediately thought the grammar was going to be on the level of your previous written pieces on here, and yet again was I prepared to write a long ass wall to tell you this and that, but to my surprise, that was more or less the only mistake I did spot through the entirety of the chapter!! O__o This my friend, is exactly what I've been talking about. The level of the grammar in this chapter is on par with your other posts and VMs, and it pleases me that I could give it a full read without having to stop to try to figure out which word you were trying to write. I did spot a mistake like where you wrote midnight instead of knight, but at least I understood what you meant this time. Like I've mentioned before, your English is better than mine if you really put your mind to it. Perhaps not as smooth, but more advanced with a broader vocabulary than I can ever boast, that is for sure. Like Ivan's sister said;

"I'll revisit you later in the day." That seems to be exactly what you did with this chapter, which made it stand out a heck of a lot more than anything else you've written. This time I can actually pay attention to and enjoy the story and not be frustrated about figuring out exactly what I'm reading. Excellent work my friend, your grammar just went from kindergarten to Oxford, and that's not even exaggerating it one bit. Your description of appearance for instance, is way above anything I've ever mustered- I could actually picture some of the characters. Bravo!

Since I'm not too active on the Base any longer, I'll keep it short this time, by saying that I knew I was right about you not killing of the main character, Ivan, in the first chapter xD So he was the main character after all. Also, like I think I mentioned last time, I get this mix of The Legend of Zelda, Lord of the Rings and perhaps a little Game of Thrones and Attack on Titan in all this.

With that said, I'll give the 3rd (and final?) one a read later when I can. I now expect you to return the favor, or heads will roll on the floor xd =P Until then (it's up to you whether you want to reply or not) ;)

Last edited:

Glad Of War

Elite
Kin
117💸
Kumi
3💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Alright finally gave it a quick read, and I must say, when I saw that small letter mistake in the very first sentence, I immediately thought the grammar was going to be on the level of your previous written pieces on here, and yet again was I prepared to write a long ass wall to tell you this and that, but to my surprise, that was more or less the only mistake I did spot through the entirety of the chapter!! O__o This my friend, is exactly what I've been talking about. The level of the grammar in this chapter is on par with your other posts and VMs, and it pleases me that I could give it a full read without having to stop to try to figure out which word you were trying to write. I did spot a mistake like where you wrote midnight instead of knight, but at least I understood what you meant this time. Like I've mentioned before, your English is better than mine if you really put your mind to it. Perhaps not as smooth, but more advanced with a broader vocabulary than I can ever boast, that is for sure. Like Ivan's sister said;

"I'll revisit you later in the day." That seems to be exactly what you did with this chapter, which made it stand out a heck of a lot more than anything else you've written. This time I can actually pay attention to and enjoy the story and not be frustrated about figuring out exactly what I'm reading. Excellent work my friend, your grammar just went from kindergarten to Oxford, and that's not even exaggerating it one bit. Your description of appearance for instance, is way above anything I've ever mustered- I could actually picture some of the characters. Bravo!

Since I'm not too active on the Base any longer, I'll keep it short this time, by saying that I knew I was right about you not killing of the main character, Ivan, in the first chapter xD So he was the main character after all. Also, like I think I mentioned last time, I get this mix of The Legend of Zelda, Lord of the Rings and perhaps a little Game of Thrones and Attack on Titan in all this.

With that said, I'll give the 3rd (and final?) one a read later when I can. I now expect you to return the favor, or heads will roll on the floor xd =P Until then (it's up to you whether you want to reply or not) ;)
Well, I've finally had the time to reply to this. Sorry for my shortcomings, if there is any. This is probably the nicest review I've received from you, and to think laziness hindered me from logging on NB to see this. Then again I did say, I would want to reply to yours first before seeing this. Oh well, I guess this was worth it. Waking up randomly to log on a site I felt isn't really worth it anymore. Game of thrones is in three weeks, probably the new season will give me the zeal to continue.. PROBABLY!

Michael92

Legendary
Kin
13,586💸
Kumi
74,831💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Well, I've finally had the time to reply to this. Sorry for my shortcomings, if there is any. This is probably the nicest review I've received from you, and to think laziness hindered me from logging on NB to see this. Then again I did say, I would want to reply to yours first before seeing this. Oh well, I guess this was worth it. Waking up randomly to log on a site I felt isn't really worth it anymore. Game of thrones is in three weeks, probably the new season will give me the zeal to continue.. PROBABLY!
Glad you liked it =P Meant every word of what I said. If anything, this at least give me some type of closure on the Base, haha ;) xP