The Last novel translation (chapter 1 part 3)

1Told

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
translation thx to Eriko on NF

Prologue =>
Chapter 1 part 1 =>
Chapter 1 part 2 =>

Naruto returned home carrying tons of presents.

Without even turning on the lights, he tossed the presents onto the bed and flopped down next to them.

“Sigh… I’m beat –ttebayo.”

He gazed aimlessly through the dimness at the mountain of presents.
They weren’t just on the bed.
As he looked around, there wasn’t even a place in the small room to set foot around the mass of presents.

Suddenly, Naruto’s nose began to stir.

“A-a-achoo!”

He looked out the window to see that a light snow had begun to flutter about.

“S-snow… that’s why it’s getting cold.”

Naruto turned on his bedside lamp, and took a scarf out of a drawer.
It was a carefully knit scarf with a subdued border pattern.

Naruto pressed the scarf to his face, checking the feel of the wool, and wrapped it around his neck.

“…Ah, it’s warm,” he happily murmured as he smiled.

Snow continued falling at the Hyuuga residence as well.

Snow covered the entire surface outside, piling up on the tree and lanterns in the garden.

The snow had stopped in early evening, the clouds had cleared, and a crescent moon was floating in the night sky. Next to a foggy window in a room warmed by a heater, Hinata continued to knit a scarf.

“It’s done!”

Hinata held the long scarf that she had completed over her head, and was greatly please.
Having put all of her feelings into relentlessly knitting, the scarf had ended up becoming quite long.

“Maybe it’s a little too long…”

"No, this is the result of knitting with all my heart!
I’m sure my feelings will reach Naruto-kun…!"

Hinata changed her clothes and left the room.

"I wonder if I’ll really get through to him… it’s late today… tomorrow would be better… no, I’ll give it to him tonight… tomorrow’s better… no, tonight… tomorrow’s better…"

“Going to go confess already?”

As she was going back and forth down the corridor, a voice called to her from the garden.

“Hanabi… how long have you been there…?”

“How long have you been there, Onee-chan?”

“…If you’re there, at least come greet me.”

In an awkward manner, Hinata turned her eyes to Hanabi.

“The appearance of a girl worrying about love is amusing.”

“Don’t say things too mature for children.”

“I’m not a child. Even the insight of my byakugan is no match for adults.”

Hanabi ran over to Hinata, confidently throwing out her chest.

“Anyway, look! Isn’t it cute?”

Hanabi was staring at her older sister and skillfully twirling a kunai.
From the kunai, there hung a small, pink shinobi doll.
She had put a cute strap on a kunai, which was a weapon.

In the past, Hanabi had been an ultra-serious girl who boasted “my hobby is training” as her nindou.
However, since the death of her cousin Neji, who had been esteemed in the previous war, something inside of her had changed.

The former Hanabi never would have thought of hanging a doll on a kunai.
To Hinata, having her younger sister behave with the innocence of a young girl was surely welcome, but a pink doll was overdoing it a bit.
To start with, it would be hard to use.

“Turning ninja tools into toys again… You’ll be scolded when Father returns.”

“Speaking of Father, he hasn’t contacted us, has he?”
Hanabi muttered.

There were times when their father, Hiashi, would be absent on missions for long periods, but even in those cases, there was some form of communication.
The mission might have needed to be kept classified this time.

Just then, Hinata’s stomach growled.

“…….Ah”

“Did you spend all your time knitting and not eat dinner? You’ll get laughed at if your stomach growls when you confess.”

“I’m not going to confess!”

Aside from whether or not Hinata was going to confess, Hanabi had hit the nail on the head.
During her last stride over the past few days, Hinata hadn’t put anything in her stomach aside from some dried candies.

“Sheesh, you’ve got some nerve! ….I’m going out for a bit.”

“To confess?”

“I’m not!”

To avoid her embarrassment, she left the house half-running.

“You say the moon is falling?” the Raikage barked, sitting at a huge round table in a conference room.

The leaders of the shinobi villages of the five countries were gathered in one building as the Gokage council in an emergency meeting called by the Hokage, Hatake Kakashi.
Aside from Kakashi and the Raikage, surrounding the table were Iwagakure’s Tsuchikage, known as the old raccoon dog; the lone woman, Kirigakure’s Mizukage; and Sunagakure’s Kazekage, the young leader Gaara—all of them capable shinobi.

“From the results of our measurements, it’s evident that the moon is drawing closer to Earth,”
Kakashi calmly answered.

Kakashi had brought with him an astronomer from Konoha.
She wore the trademark apron and glasses of a girl scientist.

“Even without measuring, you can tell by looking… I’ve never seen the moon so big,” the Tsuchikage, who was a small old man, sneered at Kakashi and the astronomer.

“What about all of the recent meteorites?”
Gaara asked.

Prompted by Kakashi, the astronomer began to explain.

“When two celestial bodies gradually move closer, the gravity from the two of them begins to affect each other.”

“I’m not so great with the scientific talk…”
The Mizukage looked away as she stated her confusion.

As per the astronomer’s prediction, as the moon approached Earth, it would become distorted and torn apart due to Earth’s gravity, and gradually crumble from the surface.

As the broken fragments drew closer to Earth, they would encircle it like the rings of Saturn, and many of the fragments from this ring would be drawn in and fall to Earth—the astronomer explained that this was the origin of the increase in meteorites.

“Then, what will eventually happen?”
Gaara stared at the astronomer, rushing her to the conclusion.

“If this continues, the moon will completely break apart… the ruins will rain down from above.
In this case, the end of humanity… no, practically no living thing on Earth will probably be able to survive.”

“So, what do we do? What’s the counter plan?”
The Tsuchikage pointed a finger at Kakashi, questioning him.

“We will destroy the falling moon fragments before they arrive.”

“That’s too much of a makeshift solution! Obviously, we should stop the moon from approaching!”
The irritated Raikage yelled.

“I want to ask one thing… is this a natural phenomenon? Or a man-made attack?”
The Mizukage asked the question that was on the minds of everyone present.
Their gazes all fell on Kakashi.

Kakashi had thought that both were possibilities, but he didn’t actually know at all.

“That’s rather questionable…”
Kakashi confused everyone in his usual manner.