Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Prologue

We've known about them since the moon landings.

Cities will crumble.

Nations will fall.

The world will lie in ruin.

They are coming.

Chapter 1

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" I protested. "We could go to jail if we're caught.

"Of course it's a good idea," my friend Will rationalized. "The family that lives here left for the weekend. They're getting back tonight, so we have to do this now. And quick."

"Whatever. But don't blame me if something goes wrong."

"Nothing will go wrong. Stop acting like a baby and come break this window."

Slowly I crept forward, very aware of the bright, revealing sunlight. I tentatively held a baseball bat in my right hand, the wooden handle slipping under my sweaty grip.

"In this weather we would be visible for miles," I said slowly, each word carefully formed in my mouth.

"Hey," said Will. "I am not forcing you to do this. If you want out, leave. Just don't come to me when I'm rich and your broke."

"My family needs the money," I said. "My mother works five jobs. I owe it to her to do this."

Silence ensued as I reached the lower window of the remote two-story house. Glancing behind me, all I could see was farmland. The sprawling hills were littered row after row with wheat and corn soon ready to be harvested. Obvious next to the tan and grays of the crops, the occasional green pasture was home to grazing cows and horses, their only intent being to periodically nibble on the grass.

The view made me feel confident, yet discouraged at the same time. I hate to admit it, but sometimes I wish I could be a farm animal, living my days without the stresses of the real world. Life would be straightforward; even carefree. I wouldn't have to depend on anybody and nobody would rely on me. But that is a life nearly impossible to live, and If I'm going achieve that, I need to take it one step at a time.

With a barrage of confidence I raised my bat up to the window and swung. With an earsplitting "crack!" the bat completed its arc and reached its destination. Glass sprayed five feet into the house and settled on the shag carpet.

"Damn!" Will exclaimed. "I didn't think you'd actually d-"

Suddenly, a piercing alarm split the air. I reached to cover my ears as the high-pitched blare began to tunnel into my brain.

"Shit!" Will yelled over the sound and confusion. "What do we do now!?"

"Run!" I said, as I began to turn.

"No way man. We have come too far. Let's grab some stuff and then go!"

"We don't have the time. The police are already on the way!"

"Then we'd better be quick!"

As I stood motionless with contemplation, Will began to climb through the window. A million thoughts raced through my head. Do I quickly grab some stuff and then run, risking getting caught by the police? Do I run now, my chances of getting away almost guaranteed? Or do I sit and wait for the police, because what I'm doing is wrong, and I should turn myself in?

End of Chapter One

Author's Note

I wrote this a few years ago, around 7th or 8th grade. Even though I briefly read through it, I apologize in advance if there are any grammar or punctuation errors. If I get enough readers and support, I would gladly continue the series.

Last edited: