salamander uchiha

Legendary
Kin
9,043💸
Kumi
6,082💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
In the UK there are three ages where your considered responsible, is it flawed?

1. At the age of 10 you are considered criminally responsible.
2. At the age 0f 16 you are considered able to give consent for sexual activity.
3. At the age of 18 you are considered old enough to vote.

Why not one age for all 3, and is the system broken?

How is it in your countries?

Last edited:

chopstickchakra

Legendary
Kin
4,684💸
Kumi
129💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
In the UK there are three ages where your considered responsible, is it flawed?

1. At the age of 10 you are considered criminally responsible.
2. At the age 0f 16 you are considered able to give consent for sexual activity.
3. At the age of 18 you are considered old enough to vote.

Why not one age for all 3, and is the system broken?

How is it in your countries?
Why not one age for all 3, because a 10 year old shouldn't be able to consent to *** and a kid under 18 shouldn't be voting and a kid under 18 should be able to be charged with a crime if it's serious enough.

salamander uchiha

Legendary
Kin
9,043💸
Kumi
6,082💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Why not one age for all 3, because a 10 year old shouldn't be able to consent to *** and a kid under 18 shouldn't be voting and a kid under 18 should be able to be charged with a crime if it's serious enough.
I understand that, but it's still wrong.

When we consider somebody criminally culpable, we're saying they have the faculty to distiguish between right or wrong and know the consequences. The same is true for somebody consenting to have *** and voting.

I'm thinking we need to have a uniform age for all 3 or to at least raise the age of criminal responsibility to 16/17(post GCSE).

Ps. The seriousness of a crime doesn't make somebody criminally culpable.

chopstickchakra

Legendary
Kin
4,684💸
Kumi
129💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I understand that, but it's still wrong.

When we consider somebody criminally culpable, we're saying they have the faculty to distiguish between right or wrong and know the consequences. The same is true for somebody consenting to have *** and voting.

I'm thinking we need to have a uniform age for all 3 or to at least raise the age of criminal responsibility to 16/17(post GCSE).

Ps. The seriousness of a crime doesn't make somebody criminally culpable.
Kids as young as 13 are capable of premeditated murder not accidents, intended and thought out and they should get a pass on being criminally charged?

salamander uchiha

Legendary
Kin
9,043💸
Kumi
6,082💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Kids as young as 13 are capable of premeditated murder not accidents, intended and thought out and they should get a pass on being criminally charged?
Well yes, if your using the measure of their ability to understand and distinguish between right and wrong. You're setting it at a different age for consent, and voting even though it falls under the same remit(the ability to distinguish).

chopstickchakra

Legendary
Kin
4,684💸
Kumi
129💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Well yes, if your using the measure of their ability to understand and distinguish between right and wrong. You're setting it at a different age for consent, and voting even though it falls under the same remit(the ability to distinguish).
Yes because the severity of each is different. Sexual consent affects you on a peronal level but voting in politics can affect the world so yes you should have to be older to vote than to consent to sexual acts.

You keep asking why we don't use a single age, but haven't explained really why it's ineffective. Conversely I've explained why a uniform age wouldn't work - a single age would either be letting children escape criminal culpability due to a young age despite the ability to plan and execute a crime while understanding what they are doing or you lower the age to hold them responsible then give children permission to **** and vote.

N o i r

Kin
93💸
Kumi
3💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I don't care for the last two, I personally wouldn't go for a 16 year old even if it's legal in the UK, that's just gross since I view them as children. For the first point, from a brain development and psychological development standpoint, at 10 years old does not entirely understand the true consequences of their actions.
A child does understand from a social point of view the difference between right and wrong, but can't process why like someone who's a bit older.
It's not reasonable to hold a child culpable to the extent of putting them in some type of juvenile retention center. Best thing would be to rehabilitate them so they can grow up to become healthy and productive members of society.