Suggestion for Writer's Base Daily Conversations!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael92

Legendary
Kin
13,586💸
Kumi
74,671💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
This is a message by Escorpiius: "All Writers, please add your valuable suggestions on your ideal Writers' Discussion platform. This thread is for suggestions purposes right now!"

---------------------------------

Some people, including me, has been missing a regular place where we can talk about anything and everything regarding our own FFs/OFs, our daily lives and our days on NB. A place where we can hang out and discuss anything related to (our) creative writing! The best way to write good stories with proper grammar, structure and punctuations, ideas we may or may not have for new FFs/OFs that we want to make, getting thoughts and hints from others on how to make those idea(s) come alive the best way it(they) possible can, and of course, anything else in general. A place where we can ask each other questions and get answers, get tips on how to improve our writing and/our just talk about what makes writing fun and what we'd like to do and continue to do with our FFs/OFs on the base, maybe even beyond that. This thread was inspired by Vilvake's recent suggestion in the Winners' thread of the FF contest section where he stated that we needed a place like this;

"NB really needs a writer's discussion forum. I came to this thread because... well, because where else would something like this even remotely fit? It's odd there's no clear-cut place to ask for writing advice, get questions answered, or just talk about the craft. Unless I completely missed it, of course.
I knew about that, but it's more restricted than what I was talking about. I would like a place where the whole community could participate in the discussion, not just a few specific members who are designated as helpers. Also, not everything related to discussing writing involves asking for help or advice. The Art Hall and Design Hall both offer a more robust discussion platform."
As well as the "General Football Debate" thread made by Escorpiius in the Sports section, for the Sports section.

I think I'm speaking for most of us when I say it would be a good idea to have a place other than just each month's FF Contests & the Writer's Block social group (the last one being very limited and unknown to most people, plus the fact that it's more or less dead these days anyways and so are social groups in general) to talk and discuss with each other regarding our writing, right? Hoping to get it sticked.

* Thanks for the Input Escorpiius! ^_^

Last edited:

Reborn

Legendary
Kin
732💸
Kumi
3,689💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Re: Writer's Base Daily Conversations!

Some people, including me, has been missing a regular place where we can talk about anything and everything regarding our own FFs/OFs, our daily lives and our days on NB. A place where we can discuss anything related to creative writing! The best way to write good stories with proper grammar, structure and punctuations, ideas we may or may not have for new FFs/OFs that we want to make, thoughts and hints on how to make the idea(s) come alive the best way it possible can, and of course, anything else in general. This thread was inspired by Vilvake's recent suggestion in the Winners' thread of the FF contest section where he stated that we needed a place like this;

As well as the "General Football Debate" thread made by Escorpiius in the Sports section, for the Sports section.

I think I'm speaking for most of us when I say it would be a good idea to have a place other than just each month's FF Contests & the Writer's Block social group to talk and discuss with each other, right? Hoping to get it sticked.
When anybody can speak in the FF of the month contest and join the Writer's Block and do as they wish, this just becomes another space where people can essentially do the same as what they could in the other areas.

Michael92

Legendary
Kin
13,586💸
Kumi
74,671💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

I really hope this works out, it's exactly what I wanted =D
Yep, thanks to your suggestion though ^_^ Let's hope it will last, haha ;)

When anybody can speak in the FF of the month contest and join the Writer's Block and do as they wish, this just becomes another space where people can essentially do the same as what they could in the other areas.
Yeah, but there is always a wait between each month, and there's always bound to be interesting topics/regular discussions aborted, just because the contest ends. Here, we won't have to worry about that, and we could also limit the "none contest related topics" in the FF contests too by having this thread on the side.
And the Social Group is pretty dead these days, to be frank few people uses "discussions" in social groups anymore as they also limits what we can do with our posts.

Reborn

Legendary
Kin
732💸
Kumi
3,689💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

Yeah, but there is always a wait between each month, and there's always bound to be interesting topics/regular discussions aborted, just because the contest ends. Here, we won't have to worry about that, and we could also limit the "none contest related topics" in the FF contests too by having this thread on the side.
And the Social Group is pretty dead these days, to be frank few people uses "discussions" in social groups anymore as they also limits what we can do with our posts.
Than this is merely a revamp of the social group for discussion purposes and there would be a cyclical affect with this in the end.

Michael92

Legendary
Kin
13,586💸
Kumi
74,671💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

Than this is merely a revamp of the social group for discussion purposes and there would be a cyclical affect with this in the end.
Duh, it's called "Daily Conversations" for a reason, so that is probably bound to happen regardless in the end xD And besides, aren't each FF contest that too? Stop being so pessimistic =p

Vilvake

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

I had never even heard of Writer's Block until now, to be honest. It's not very visible or conveniently located for members new to Writer's Base

Michael92

Legendary
Kin
13,586💸
Kumi
74,671💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

I had never even heard of Writer's Block until now, to be honest. It's not very visible or conveniently located for members new to Writer's Base
Yeah, and there is that too! Being as it's a social group, people will have to find it and join it to participate, this is a much more visible and easier way for them to do so.

Reborn

Legendary
Kin
732💸
Kumi
3,689💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

Duh, it's called "Daily Conversations" for a reason, so that is probably bound to happen regardless in the end xD And besides, aren't each FF contest that too? Stop being so pessimistic =p
That is my point, to have a thread that is meant to do what is already occurring in a monthly thread, what is the purpose?

Michael92

Legendary
Kin
13,586💸
Kumi
74,671💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

That is my point, to have a thread that is meant to do what is already occurring in a monthly thread, what is the purpose?
The purpose is to talk about things, being social. Let's say you have an idea for a FF and want to talk about it or discuss it with your fellow writers? Not too many places you can do that fast and efficient, or let's say you want to talk about different subjects like becoming an author, etc? The reason it occurs every month in the FF contests, is because there isn't any other place like it to do exactly that, until now.

Germanicus

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards

I for one like the idea. Who cares if it's similar to writers block? Not everyone goes there, and many that do don't check it often. It does no harm and can do at least a bit of good, so why not?

Escorpiius

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

I'm all for making the Writers' base better and I admit that you guys lack platform compared to GFX Base/Art Base and that's a bit why Fanfiction was only recently updated to Writers' Base. Thereby, we are yet to make it, more perfectible.

Here are some points I wanna state:

1. Perhaps you should choose a more fanfiction-related title for this thread. By having Writers' Base, I may move this thread into to include our Poetry friends to discuss too. Whether you wish that or not, that depends on you.

2. I want rules written for a thread like this. That is; following Global Rules, keep it clean and keep it fanfiction-related. This is not to be transformed into a chat platform like every Fanfic Voting threads.

Decide yourselves on these, and I shall see what I can do. For now, I'd edit this thread into a suggestion mode and I'll sticky it. Suggest carefully and precisely the type of platform that you need here. We shall make something more 'Official' once you made up your minds.

Chakra Wizard

Elite
Kin
14💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

I'm all for making the Writers' base better and I admit that you guys lack platform compared to GFX Base/Art Base and that's a bit why Fanfiction was only recently updated to Writers' Base. Thereby, we are yet to make it, more perfectible.

1. Perhaps you should choose a more fanfiction-related title for this thread. By having Writers' Base, I may move this thread into to include our Poetry friends to discuss too. Whether you wish that or not, that depends on you.

2. I want rules written for a thread like this. That is; following Global Rules, keep it clean and keep it fanfiction-related. This is not to be transformed into a chat platform like every Fanfic Voting threads.

Decide yourselves on these, and I shall see what I can do. For now, I'd edit this thread into a suggestion mode and I'll sticky it. Suggest carefully and precisely the type of platform that you need here. We shall make something more 'Official' once you made up your minds.
And since when did THAT become a crime!? XD

Yeah, I absolutely love the idea, guys, and you can definitely be sure I'll take part in it:)

Michael92

Legendary
Kin
13,586💸
Kumi
74,671💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

I for one like the idea. Who cares if it's similar to writers block? Not everyone goes there, and many that do don't check it often. It does no harm and can do at least a bit of good, so why not?
Exactly. The more opinions "for" this idea, the better! So far, only Reborn is against it, but I'm sure he will flip the coin once he sees the potential of it.

And since when did THAT become a crime!? XD

Yeah, I absolutely love the idea, guys, and you can definitely be sure I'll take part in it:)
Haha, true, but with "the rules in mind" most of what we talk about there is considered spam, and that's what Escorpiius is trying to prevent with this idea, and that's why it has to be done thoroughly and serious if done at all. I might have jumped the gun a little when I stated "talk about anything and everything" in the first post, as it should be "limited" to creative writing after all, and not just some "Hey how's it going people" or "Nice day, isn't it" post raising thread/platform.

Good to know ^_^

So it wasn't just because our suggestion to separate the Poems and the FFs came through then, you have bigger plans? I'm guessing now that you're on board (with both this idea and with the Staff), we have room for more improvements here, being as we have a Mod that's also a writer on with us, which is a great addition. That's good news indeed.

1: Well, fair point. I was originally thinking of choosing something like "General Fanfiction Discussion" as the name for the thread, but thought it sounded too dull and too "limited" to its purpose. "Writer's Block" is already taken as a social group's name, so I didn't want to copy that for several reasons, and I couldn't really think of any other name besides the one I chose (plus it was late and I just woke up from the bed to make this thread). With having the name of the forum included instead, it would mean that this thread reached out to a bigger part of the writers, as some people suggested that this sub-forum should have had another name than "Fanfiction" when we made that suggestion thread to separate the poems and the FFs, because there's some OFs (Original Fiction) on here too and some people wouldn't consider the term "FFs" suitable for their work.

If something was to be made in the "Overview" section where we choose either the Poems or the FF forum, would not be a bad idea as every writer should be able to talk about what they'd like within creative writing. It would also extend the term of what we can talk about, like becoming authors, about already established and famed authors, old and new books, etc. But if so, it should be visible from the "Forums" section, as most people (including me) just scroll down to the bottom of the forum and clicks either Poems or FF from the Forum tab, instead of clicking on the "Creative Writing" forum first.

2: I see and I understand completely, and you're absolutely right too. We need a more serious and formal platform where everything should be dedicated to creative writing. Like in your "GFD" thread, all and everything we talk about is related to football and world-wide results of the game.

When you say platform, are you talking about a "formal sub forum" where people make threads about topics they like to talk about, like authors, how to improve their writing, their own and others FFs, ideas they may have (something along what the Art base have), or are you suggesting a thread like this (and like your "GFD" thread) where everything is mashed up into a single thread?

I'm not sure what rules such a thread should have (except for the global rules - Multi-posting, posting for the sake of posting, spamming, bullying, etc not being allowed), but it should at least have some basic rules like;

- Writing related posts only, do not post things like "Hey, how's it going," "I've got a new job at the local supermarket today folks!" etc.

- Keep it serious and clean, don't post inconsistent posts and don't go off topic unless you have something related to writing to say or something you want to ask about writing in general. Everyone should be allowed to talk about what they'd like within creative writing - shouldn't be any limit here.

Key point that you can talk about;
* FF/OF on the base.
* FF Contest results.
* Your own FF and ideas you have for new ones, and how you may improve.
* Other peoples FF and tips/hints on how they can improve.
* Ask questions & and get answers on writing related things.
*Discussions about writing in general, like famed authors and books, what writing means to you, how to become an author.
* The past, present and the future of NB's Creative Writing - Past FFs, former great writers, what was great about the past (Writers x Readers), what is great now, and what can get better.
* Etc.

That's more or less what I got/could squeeze out right now. Feel free to add your own input on this, as well as everyone else too.

Last edited:

Lili-Chwan

Legendary
Kin
3,929💸
Kumi
2,318💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
So yeah, I have a sort of philosophical question for you guys. I'm all for empowering female and have them treated equally in fanfiction/novels/movies as man. And a question that I really hate is the matter of violation/rape. Basically, after a fight, a woman is raped, a man is imprisoned or killed. It's always like that. I wanted to empower a victim of a rape in my next ff, but it might be just too cliché, or even work against what I wanted to do in the first place. I can have someone avoid a rape by saving herself, or I can have someone avenge a rape. Maybe have someone do to man what man typically do to women in these fight/war/medieval genres. Or maybe rape is too strong of a subject to post in the base. What do you guys think?

Michael92

Legendary
Kin
13,586💸
Kumi
74,671💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Well, this might be good.
Seems like most people are for this idea ^_^

So yeah, I have a sort of philosophical question for you guys. I'm all for empowering female and have them treated equally in fanfiction/novels/movies as man. And a question that I really hate is the matter of violation/rape. Basically, after a fight, a woman is raped, a man is imprisoned or killed. It's always like that. I wanted to empower a victim of a rape in my next ff, but it might be just too cliché, or even work against what I wanted to do in the first place. I can have someone avoid a rape by saving herself, or I can have someone avenge a rape. Maybe have someone do to man what man typically do to women in these fight/war/medieval genres. Or maybe rape is too strong of a subject to post in the base. What do you guys think?
Well it's an interesting subject, and like you said it is indeed a subject to tread carefully with at the base. I've seen FFs evolving around foul language (lots of swearing including vile *** related words), and even being close to the term of rape (well the "final" chapter of one of them actually displayed a rape scene), and both of them were written by the (un)famous John Constantine and both were banned/discussed heavily.

I don't really know what to say to aid you in your question, but I'm sure someone more qualified (Escorpiius, ThatOneChick, Germanicus, etc) can help you out when and if they check out this thread again.

Last edited:

Soraton

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
This is an awesome idea and I'm surprised it hasn't been implemented already. A Writer's Discussion sub-section would be pretty useful for a newbie writer such as myself. Any possible due date on when it could come out?

Status
Not open for further replies.