Suggested video game
Elder scroll
Call of duty
DBZ Kakarot
Fallout
Redemption

Something good and expensive
Post automatically merged:

He is twelve years old you know this is not the time to get him a book think of his popularity and size

@Avani

Last edited:

Avani

Supreme
Kin
5,404💸
Kumi
480💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
A video game 🎮

A video game that will change his life he is twelve years old

Suggested video game
Elder scroll
Call of duty
DBZ Kakarot
Fallout
Redemption

Something good and expensive

He is twelve years old you know this is not the time to get him a book think of his popularity and size

@Avani

He likes to read. Took The Count of the Monte Cristo from my shelf, two years ago. I bet he didn't read or understood it properly and jumped pages. But he made it a matter of pride and wouldn't give it back because I told him he was too young for it. So I let him keep that.

I will rather give him something that suits him so he doesn't raid my personal collection again.

kc5181

Regular
Kin
2,119💸
Kumi
234💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
He likes to read. Took The Count of the Monte Cristo from my shelf, two years ago. I bet he didn't read or understood it properly and jumped pages. But he made it a matter of pride and wouldn't give it back because I told him he was too young for it. So I let him keep that.

I will rather give him something that suits him so he doesn't raid my personal collection again.
You know kids say they like to read then they hit puberty and then never read another book for the rest of there life

And by never again I meen one book for every 5 years

• Haha
Reactions: Avani

Premfection

Veteran
Kin
1,575💸
Kumi
8,090💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
As a kid (around 12 years old) my favorite stories were: the outsiders, king arthur and knights of the round table, scary stories to tell in the dark...

I'm sure I've read more but cant think of any. Like I was made to read lots of books back then, we even had a time that was dedicated to just silent reading in order to basically force us lol. But I was never that much of a reader and something had to capture my attention quickly for me to enjoy and want to read it all the way till the end.

I'd also suggest a few comics and manga if they're into those. They can read and also enjoy the pictures. Actually, one of the things that got me into manga and taught me how to read it was the legend of zelda manga series - which I loved because I am a huge zelda fan lol.

GrapeApe

Regular
Kin
2,900💸
Kumi
15💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
i mostly just give my little cousins or friends kids money in a birthday card when im invited over. especially if i dont really know what theyre really into. a gift card to a book store could also be good so then he can just pick what he wants

it would be easier to suggest stuff if i you gave more detail into what the kid is into....

but The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho is a great book. its like an allegory with a spiritual message but its simple enough for a kid to understand i think. its about this kid who keeps having these recurring dreams he thinks is trying to tell him something, so he gets it interpreted by a fortune teller who tells him its a prophecy that he will discover treasure in egypt. so he starts journeying there to find this and its like a spiritual path where he goes through a lot that teaches him to realize his true self

idk if i explained that well but its a dope book i really enjoyed that. i got that as a gift from my favorite uncle. so its usually my go too when suggesting books to people. but it would probably be best if you got him books youve read, that you think he might be into, so then you two can talk about it and bond more if he likes it

Reactions: Urda and Avani

Vitis

Kin
674💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
He likes to read.
Might I suggest a book on abnormal child psychology?

I wouldn't say 12 is too young for Count of Monte Cristo, but if he took it and there's any chance that he attempted to read it at all and didn't as you say just shelve it why not another book from Dumas? The Three Musketeers perhaps.

If you want something that has game value, reading and critical thinking you could always try getting him into Dungeons and Dragons, quite a bit of reading involved if playing by the actual rules and it's a game that he might actually derive entertainment from while deciding the actions his character should take in any given scenario and planning out skill interactions to handle potential scenarios promote some degree of critical thinking. The stigma against DnD has seemed to have eased up quite a bit. With Cyberpunk 2077 around the corner there's also Cyberpunk Red, though admittedly some of the content involved there might be a bit sketch for a 12 year old and might not be welcomed, but hey if you get them something they probably shouldn't have you're automatically the cool aunt/uncle so mayhaps weigh the parent's proclivities against how you want your nephew to perceive you, after all if they take it away you still tried and they're the bad guys.

kujaku

Kin
2,928💸
Kumi
352💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
At around that age I read Crime and Punishment by F. Dostoevsky (still one of my favs) and since he seemed to like Count of Monte Cristo I think that one's a safe bet.
Also, The Picture of Dorian Gray by O. Wilde? Anna Karenina by L. Tolstoy, maybe something else by A. Dumas.
Erm, Wuthering Heights by E. Brontë, Shogun by J. Clavell or Quo Vadis by H. Sienkiewicz (another of my favs). These are all good choices for a 12yo imo.

• Wow
Reactions: Chikombo

Vitis

Kin
674💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
At around that age I read Crime and Punishment by F. Dostoevsky (still one of my favs) and since he seemed to like Count of Monte Cristo I think that one's a safe bet.
Also, The Picture of Dorian Gray by O. Wilde? Anna Karenina by L. Tolstoy, maybe something else by A. Dumas.
Erm, Wuthering Heights by E. Brontë, Shogun by J. Clavell or Quo Vadis by H. Sienkiewicz (another of my favs). These are all good choices for a 12yo imo.
Their assumption was that he didn't actually read Count of Monte Cristo
-
More pointedly felt the need to respond in that some of these choices have questionable content for a 12 year old depending on the parent's sensitivities. Dorian Gray is a hedonist and Oscar Wilde caused quite a stir for the inflammatory content that offended the moral sensibilities at the time and it holds true to some degree to this day. The whole novel is essentially Dorian Gray indulging himself to a degree it leads to his death hardly apt for a 12 year old I'd say. Some of the other novels recommended could be exceedingly dry for the average 12 year old if not age inappropriate as well.

minamoto

Supreme
Kin
25,811💸
Kumi
11,914💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
-
More pointedly felt the need to respond in that some of these choices have questionable content for a 12 year old depending on the parent's sensitivities. Dorian Gray is a hedonist and Oscar Wilde caused quite a stir for the inflammatory content that offended the moral sensibilities at the time and it holds true to some degree to this day. The whole novel is essentially Dorian Gray indulging himself to a degree it leads to his death hardly apt for a 12 year old I'd say. Some of the other novels recommended could be exceedingly dry for the average 12 year old if not age inappropriate as well.
have u guyz read teh novel caled "a mizerables" of viktore hogo????..

kujaku

Kin
2,928💸
Kumi
352💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
That's why I said he seemed to like it. At least he was interested so I thought similar books would also interest him, maybe more so.

More pointedly felt the need to respond in that some of these choices have questionable content for a 12 year old
Agree actually, to a certain degree; it really depends on the kid. I replied based on what I liked to read at the time. In a library no one would have given me those books, but since they were all at home in our library I had free reign. I think those books positively helped me into shaping my view on the world, I wouldn't hesitate letting a 12yo reading them if they wanted to.

But well, if you want a safer book, The Alchemist by Coelho as GrapeApe already suggested is the go to. It's a really good book, definitely fit for younger ages.

have u guyz read teh novel caled "a mizerables" of viktore hogo????..
No, that's one book I never had any interest in reading. Still don't. Along with Papillon by Charrière and Robinson Crusoe by Defoe.

Vitis

Kin
674💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
That's why I said he seemed to like it. At least he was interested so I thought similar books would also interest him, maybe more so.
If the assumption is that they didn't in fact read it then it doesn't "seem" as if they liked it, it's quite the opposite really, it seems that they didn't like it as they didn't actually read it. Now perhaps they did the wording leaves it open that they very well might have, but not that it was not a likely possibility. If I were to make a statement of, "Pizza is my least favorite Italian food that I have eaten" does it seem likely that I enjoy pizza? I'd say no, seems like I dislike it after all it's my least favorite, but if I went on to explain it's the only Italian food I've had then it's both the best and worst however to assume that based on the initial statement given is quite the flawed logic.

Rinnebel

Kin
557💸
Kumi
2,451💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I recommend any Diary of a Wimpy Kid book. How to Train Your Pet Dragon was great. A series of Unfortunate Events series was amazing that I liked even as an adult. I would also recommend the Big Friendly Giant. All of them kid friendly, but not too child-like with the exception of Diary of a Wimpy Kid. Which are still some good books.