Deadlift

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Though I've never practiced glossolalia, I've always found this phenomenon to be quite remarkable, at the point that I've studied rather seriously about it and devoted a chapter of my philosophy of language thesis for the university.

I'd like to know what is your take on this issue, especially if there are some Pentecostals or adherents of tongue-speaking religions among you. Are there good reasons to think that glossolalia is a supernatural phenomenon? Or is it just gibberish?

Arian

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
only tongues i know of:

[video=youtube;UjEpw4O-WNI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjEpw4O-WNI[/video]

btw thats just as legit as any religious bullcrap

Deadlift

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
would you mind translating this to basic english?
What haven't you understood? Lol

It's one of the gifts of the Holy Spirit, only God knows this language and it's used for prayers for the enemy doesn't know tongues
Mmmh interesting take on it, but what are your reasons to think that this phenomenon is authentic?

I've got three questions:

1) why did the Pentecostal movement shift from the biblical understanding of tongues (xenoglossia) to their modern theory of the divine language?

2) Most Pentecostals are Trinitarians, but a good chunk of them (Oneness/United Pentecostals) subscribe to an ancient heresy called modalism. Now, if God is not a Trinity and Trinitarian Pentecostals worship three gods (as Oneness Pentecostals believe) why would God made polytheists know His secret language? And if God is a Trinity, why would He give such a gift to heretics?

3) Why do the adherents of non Christian cults like Voodoo perform glossolalia as well as Pentecostals and charismatics?

Arian

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I substantially agree even though I would think of autosuggestion or hypnosis than mental illness. Considering that millions of people do it, I think it's improbable that they're all fools :/
billions believe adam and eve/noahs arc is true or the quran are the words of god and jesus walked on water or was resurrected...

there is no limit to the foolishness of people ;)

Pumpkin Ninja

Legendary
Kin
577💸
Kumi
2,186💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I substantially agree even though I would think of autosuggestion or hypnosis than mental illness. Considering that millions of people do it, I think it's improbable that they're all fools :/
billions believe adam and eve/noahs arc is true or the quran are the words of god and jesus walked on water or was resurrected...

there is no limit to the foolishness of people ;)
I don't agree with Arian's sentiments on religion but I still have to agree with this, the numbers don't really reflect anything. And I don't believe it is even in the millions to start with.

Yang release

Regular
Kin
10💸
Kumi
21💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
What haven't you understood? Lol

Mmmh interesting take on it, but what are your reasons to think that this phenomenon is authentic?

I've got three questions:

1) why did the Pentecostal movement shift from the biblical understanding of tongues (xenoglossia) to their modern theory of the divine language?

2) Most Pentecostals are Trinitarians, but a good chunk of them (Oneness/United Pentecostals) subscribe to an ancient heresy called modalism. Now, if God is not a Trinity and Trinitarian Pentecostals worship three gods (as Oneness Pentecostals believe) why would God made polytheists know His secret language? And if God is a Trinity, why would He give such a gift to heretics?

3) Why do the adherents of non Christian cults like Voodoo perform glossolalia as well as Pentecostals and charismatics?

Yeshua is not a religion he is a relationship a real relationship full of love and his Holy Spirit which is the spirit of the father which is in the son (Yeshua) comes over you and gifts you in tongues, people have a lot confusion on the father he allowed me to see I was blind

Deadlift

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I don't agree with Arian's sentiments on religion but I still have to agree with this, the numbers don't really reflect anything. And I don't believe it is even in the millions to start with.
It's indeed millions, Pentecostals and charismatics make some good 500 millions people if I'm not mistaken. Pentecostals alone are the third largest Christian denomination after Roman Catholics and Eastern Orthodox.

I wasn't trying to argue that since it's practiced by many it deserves credibility, but the issue is that glossolalia is not a claim or a belief like those Arian listed, it's an experience that involves your mind and body in a state of trance. I don't see it as due to mental illness because I doubt you can be crazy only for one hour every Sunday morning and then live the rest of the time like a sane person. The autosuggestion hypothesis sounds more convincing to me

deadlift wut u study??
Linguistics :sdo:

minamoto

Supreme
Kin
25,811💸
Kumi
11,914💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
It's indeed millions, Pentecostals and charismatics make some good 500 millions people if I'm not mistaken. Pentecostals alone are the third largest Christian denomination after Roman Catholics and Eastern Orthodox.

I wasn't trying to argue that since it's practiced by many it deserves credibility, but the issue is that glossolalia is not a claim or a belief like those Arian listed, it's an experience that involves your mind and body in a state of trance. I don't see it as due to mental illness because I doubt you can be crazy only for one hour every Sunday morning and then live the rest of the time like a sane person. The autosuggestion hypothesis sounds more convincing to me

nice .... ferdinand de saussure solos !!

Pumpkin Ninja

Legendary
Kin
577💸
Kumi
2,186💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

What is the cause of it in their eyes? Allowing yourself to be possessed by the holy spirit or something similar? If so, then it requires your faith or an awareness of it to be able to experience it. These experiences should be approached with great skepticism. There are many religions and cults that people subscribe to where they believe to have types of experiences, and I believe it can be explained rationally. Is the language being spoken consistent?

If the cause is not this, and a selection from God we do not know or some other phenomenon, then the experiences would be a lot more wide spread and common. However, I myself have never heard of this before, Lyke doesn't seem to have a clue, either. We wouldn't be having this discussion if it were the opposite, imo.

minamoto

Supreme
Kin
25,811💸
Kumi
11,914💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
What is the cause of it in their eyes? Allowing yourself to be possessed by the holy spirit or something similar? If so, then it requires your faith or an awareness of it to be able to experience it. These experiences should be approached with great skepticism. There are many religions and cults that people subscribe to where they believe to have types of experiences, and I believe it can be explained rationally. Is the language being spoken consistent?

If the cause is not this, and a selection from God we do not know or some other phenomenon, then the experiences would be a lot more wide spread and common. However, I myself have never heard of this before, Lyke doesn't seem to have a clue, either. We wouldn't be having this discussion if it were the opposite, imo.
WTF...what are you doing here???...GO BACK TO NARUTO DISCUSSION SECTION!!!

Deadlift

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

Consistent with what? Anyway I agree that the fact that many religions and cults which oppose each other accept this practice undermines the belief that such a phenomenon is supernatural.

I think it depends a lot on the place you live in. Both Lyke and I are Europeans if I'm not mistaken, so you don't see many Pentecostals around here. There are charismatic groups in Catholic countries though, but they tend to keep their practices quite hidden. Tongue speakers are numerous in the United States and in South America as far as I know

Pumpkin Ninja

Legendary
Kin
577💸
Kumi
2,186💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Consistent with what? Anyway I agree that the fact that many religions and cults which oppose each other accept this practice undermines the belief that such a phenomenon is supernatural.

I think it depends a lot on the place you live in. Both Lyke and I are Europeans if I'm not mistaken, so you don't see many Pentecostals around here. There are charismatic groups in Catholic countries though, but they tend to keep their practices quite hidden. Tongue speakers are numerous in the United States and in South America as far as I know
Yeah, I live in Canada so that may be it.

I mean, do the people who experience tongue, all sound like they're speaking the same language?

Deadlift

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Yeah, I live in Canada so that may be it.

I mean, do the people who experience tongue, all sound like they're speaking the same language?
Mhh I'd say they don't. Some say that your native language influences the way you speak in tongues, so for example Slavic people will be more likely to produce harsh sounds, thing that generally doesn't happen with native English speakers