[Discussion] Something I noticed in an old chapter....

Ero sennin jiraiya

Regular
Kin
0๐Ÿ’ธ
Kumi
2,500๐Ÿ’ด
Trait Points
0โš”๏ธ
So I was reading one of my naruto volumes earlier today, specifically the Kakashi chronicles chapters, and I noticed this in chapter 240, where Minato is telling Obito about Kakashi's father, Sakumo Hatake

This is from the Viz translation, mind you "Kakashi's father is Sakumo, the genius ninja feared as the white fang of Konoha. In this time, the "three great shinobi"(sannin) of Konoha legend paled beside him."

Basically Minato is saying here that Sakumo was so strong he was considered even above the three sannin, Jiraiya, Orochimaru, and Tsunade. It is important to note he also said "In this time" meaning he's talking about the past, but regardless, while he was alive Sakumo was stronger than the sannin.

However, if you read the translation here on NB it says he "had respect on the same level as the legendary sannin"

Since I'm assuming the translation here on NB is a fan translation, I'd say that the Viz translations are more accurate most of the time since they are professionally done (I'm not knocking fan translations in any way, they are usually very well done and I greatly appreciate that people take time out of their lives to do them for us)

Anyway, this just got me thinking Sakumo must have been pretty beast for Minato to say that he is stronger than the sannin. Not hard to believe looking at Kakashi, who, while technically a Jounin, is probably stronger than just about any jounin out there.

Just something I found interesting. I'm not saying that it's conclusive evidence that white fang > sannin just showing that he was very powerful and at least in the same league as them, all of who are kage level.

What do you guys think? Is it possible that the Viz translation is less accurate in this instance and overhyped Sakumo, or that the Viz translations should always be trusted over fan translations?

I don't read Japanese, so it's impossible for me to get the raws and read it myself and decide. All I can do is guess haha

FireBird Marco

Veteran
Kin
0๐Ÿ’ธ
Kumi
0๐Ÿ’ด
Trait Points
0โš”๏ธ
Seeing as Kakashi is a fodder without the uchia booty sharingan, I'd assume his father wasn't any better. Neji, Kiba, Temari, Kankuro and many more would just pwn kakashi without that little tiny hax sharingan he's got there.
And don't come and tell me Any uchia without sharingan is a fodder. Uchias are born with it.

Reactions: Ciao

Cfighter

Veteran
Kin
0๐Ÿ’ธ
Kumi
0๐Ÿ’ด
Trait Points
0โš”๏ธ
Seeing as Kakashi is a fodder without the uchia booty sharingan, I'd assume his father wasn't any better. Neji, Kiba, Temari, Kankuro and many more would just pwn kakashi without that little tiny hax sharingan he's got there.
And don't come and tell me Any uchia without sharingan is a fodder. Uchias are born with it.
ughhh.... kakashi fodder? gtfo

Whitefang0908

Regular
Kin
0๐Ÿ’ธ
Kumi
0๐Ÿ’ด
Trait Points
0โš”๏ธ
He is not a fodder. Kakashi now is about Kage level with his sharingan. Take that away from him and he will be high level jounin. Kakashi is very skillful and talented even without his sharingan. He became jounin when he was just twelve. The sharingan just gave him to copy jutsus and ms. The ones you said that can pen kakashi, it will go the other way.

Ero sennin jiraiya

Regular
Kin
0๐Ÿ’ธ
Kumi
2,500๐Ÿ’ด
Trait Points
0โš”๏ธ
That was before Jiraiya mastered Sage mode, before Orochimaru mastered Edo Tensei, Triple Rashomon and so many more jutsu. But yes, they did pale in comparison back then (manga fact)
Yeah that's why I mentioned at the start Minato said "at that time" but it still takes nothing away from how strong he was. If he hadn't committed suicide it's possible he would have gotten stronger just as the sannin did, and at least remained on the same level as them.

Kakashi is far from a fodder. He was promoted to a jounin when he was just a kid before he ever got a sharingan. He's a genius just as his father was. Even without the sharingan he would be a high jounin. If he didn't have the sharingan he probably would have spent his time working on other jutsu that would make him stronger anyway, though I'm not saying that he could have been as strong as he is with the mangekyo.

Kakashi has a sharingan whether you like how he got it or not. The fact that it was given to him doesn't take anything away from how strong he is or how gifted he is as a ninja. You're just being ignorant.

S A G E

Elite
Kin
0๐Ÿ’ธ
Kumi
0๐Ÿ’ด
Trait Points
0โš”๏ธ
he is not a fodder, even before we learned about his kamui, he is already one of the strongest shinobi in konoha. I think he is still stronger than neji, kiba, temari, and kankuru if they fight.

kakashi ms

Regular
Kin
0๐Ÿ’ธ
Kumi
0๐Ÿ’ด
Trait Points
0โš”๏ธ
kakashi without sharingan can beat tusonade,mei,second mizu

Odemgee

Kin
0๐Ÿ’ธ
Kumi
0๐Ÿ’ด
Trait Points
0โš”๏ธ
In that case are you saying Madara would be fodder if Izuna wouldn't have give him have given him his eyes or Sasuke without Itachi's right now. Fact is Kakashi was the top in his class that include Guy before he got the sharingan so to say he would be weak without it just doesn't make any sense.

Ero sennin jiraiya

Regular
Kin
0๐Ÿ’ธ
Kumi
2,500๐Ÿ’ด
Trait Points
0โš”๏ธ
jiray learned the sage mode when he was nearly 14
when minato spoke about saskumo jiraya was nearly 30
We don't know exactly when Jiraiya learned Sage Mode. We do know that he started training at mt myoboku when he was pretty young, but we're not sure exactly when he learned how to control nature energy. I'd agree with you it's perfectly possible that he already had sage mode when Minato said that, but there isn't any way to know for sure because we only have seen him use it once, and he was in his 50's.

kakashi is already high kage level
no kage stronger than him except for hashirama
I also agree that Kakashi is Kage level at this point, but he isn't high kage level and I highly doubt he can beat all of the kage except Hashirama. He is low-mid Kage level at best. That's not putting Kakashi down as he is probably the strongest ninja in the leaf besides Naruto and Tsunade.

However, most of the other kage would beat him. I don't see him being able to counter Raikage's speed, or breaking his lightning armor. His only chance would be kamui. Arguments could be made for all of the other kage as well but it's going to be time consuming and I honestly don't feel like doing it right now. He definitely can't beat all of the current and past kage though. Muu would own him, he'd probably have a lot of trouble with third raikage, 2nd mizukage, ect. You're overrating Kakashi quite a bit.

Sherlock.

Elite
Kin
0๐Ÿ’ธ
Kumi
0๐Ÿ’ด
Trait Points
0โš”๏ธ
Awards
I ve seen a lot people say that the *********** translations are closest to the original and viz is just made for american audiencs.... Anyways the whit fang was a hot shot cause a single guy who has equal reputation just like 3 sannin would really be a badass shinobi....

Ero sennin jiraiya

Regular
Kin
0๐Ÿ’ธ
Kumi
2,500๐Ÿ’ด
Trait Points
0โš”๏ธ
I ve seen a lot people say that the *********** translations are closest to the original and viz is just made for american audiencs.... Anyways the whit fang was a hot shot cause a single guy who has equal reputation just like 3 sannin would really be a badass shinobi....
I don't think that is necessarily true. I'm sure there's instances where the fan translations were more accurate as well as instances where the Viz translations are, but in general the Viz translations are seen as the most accurate translations available.