Ace

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Umm I know the topic says silly advice needed, but i want serious replies. It's just a silly question: How do u shine pennies?

Rep will be given if u answer my question. I need to shine up some of my pennies.

Hiruzen Sarutobi

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
O____O

1. Check with a grown-up before you begin.
2. Put a penny in a paper cup.
3. Pour some lemon juice into the cup. Make sure the penny is completely covered.
4. After about 5 minutes, take the penny out of the lemon juice, rub it off with a paper towel. What does the penny look like now? It should be much brighter.
5. A new penny is partly made from bright, shiny copper. But after a while, it loses its shine. Why? Because the copper mixes with the oxygen in the air and makes a coating called an oxide. When you put the penny in lemon juice, the acid in the lemon chemically removes the oxide, and you're left with a bright copper penny.

lol

Last edited:

Rei

Legendary
Kin
5,001,259💸
Kumi
527💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
If your coins are valuable, you better not clean them, cause that will reduce their value.
(this is called cartwheel effect and because it is a chemical procedure i cannot explain it in details, sorry :( )

Now, if you insist on cleaning them, the safest thing you can do is this:

1. Wash it under cols running water, holding it by the edges.
2. Soak it in vinegar for a few seconds to minutes, or lemon juice only if it is silver.
3. Wash it under warm but not hot water.
4. Brush it very very gently and lightly.
5. Dry it.

If there are small parts with dirt, you can remove it with a toothpick, but be careful not to scratch it^^

You don't need to rep me, i had the same question some years ago for my jewels. :p
Hope it helps ^.^

MadMax

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Umm I know the topic says silly advice needed, but i want serious replies. It's just a silly question: How do u shine pennies?

Rep will be given if u answer my question. I need to shine up some of my pennies.
well in the show mythbusters, they cleaned a penny with coke