Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Before you scream at me and shout insults, this thread isn't about who has more success or who's a better singer. Well, I could make such a thread, but Sia is too special for me to put her beside any artist for comparison - vocally

Sia's renowned for her cautiousness with her identity to fans, and has successfully avoided fame since she became an artist.

"She won't show her face in interviews, she doesn't appear on the cover of her album, she posed for the cover of Billboard with a bag over her head, and in her publicity photos, she's wearing a bag as well."

Now, The Weeknd. I won't provide much background because I don't know much about him, except he was the anonymous artist behind songs that you could say were very well received under Drake's support. Three albums which later on were combined into Trilogy which had a little success of its own. His mysteriousness didn't go undetected since 2011 and was even allegedly writing songs for Drake's Take Care album in which the emptiness and hopelessness of The Weekend's previous albums could be easily noticed.

Both artists were doing well in the underground, and although they entered the mainstream in different times, the similarities aren't too blurry to see.

Both were very young when their talents blossomed and earned little success before they stepped out to the scene, with Sia writing for stardom celebrities like Beyonce and Rihanna, and The Weeknd releasing successful 'mixtapes' and working with the likes of Drake when he hadn't reached a lot of fans.

So, that mentioned, who was more successful in their disguises and who would have been more successful if they continued on releasing underground without agents, advertisements and promotions?

Last edited:

Osmon

Legendary
Kin
8💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Abel had a lot of fans mostly because of the 'boost' he got from Drake's promotion.

Sia, on the other hand, independently made a name for herself.

What's your argument now?
he wrote drake's greatest album, his newest album is #1, he is the R&B singer of the year

do I need to say more

Punk Hazard

Immortal
Kin
1,664💸
Kumi
11,569💴
Trait Points
50⚔️
I don't know much about Sia, but I think the Weeknd would have still done really well as an "underground" artist. Meaning, if he kept releasing lowkey stuff like the Trilogy albums and Kiss Land to a minor degree, he'd still be successful. Probably not nearly as successful as the mainstream attention to BBTM and Starboy have brought him, but he had a solid following before that(people still wish he'd go back to the way he made music when lowkey).

I didn't know Sia had an underground following, but I'd assume someone as talented as her would have maintained it if she stayed underground.

As for disguises, probably Sia. It's part of her image and mainstream fame, while The Weeknd's identity coming out increased his popularity.

Inmate

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
sia is nothing special, nor is the weeknd though the latter is actually better than her by a mileage
Sia is nothing special? Have you heard any music of any artist that sounded even remotely like hers? Abel has had a lot of comparisons on the contrary. He's even being compared to MJ - albeit I don't see how he's at his level, even just comparing him to the MJ of Jackson Five.

However, Sia is one of those rare artists who grew on their own and have their own style - her voice can't be compared to any artist of any century.

She doesn't go near recycling and if you research a little on The Weeknd's mixtape songs, some of them were sampled from songs of bands like Beach House - that was before he became a legitimate artist, right?

I'm sure you're dying to point that out. Unfortunately, Tell Your Friends is an even worse rip-off than any of his previous songs. The beat wasn't even recycled

Last edited:

Inmate

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I don't know much about Sia, but I think the Weeknd would have still done really well as an "underground" artist. Meaning, if he kept releasing lowkey stuff like the Trilogy albums and Kiss Land to a minor degree, he'd still be successful. Probably not nearly as successful as the mainstream attention to BBTM and Starboy have brought him, but he had a solid following before that(people still wish he'd go back to the way he made music when lowkey).

I didn't know Sia had an underground following, but I'd assume someone as talented as her would have maintained it if she stayed underground.

As for disguises, probably Sia. It's part of her image and mainstream fame, while The Weeknd's identity coming out increased his popularity.
The Weeknd's enigma looks like it was orchestrated to me. There's this band that's from Canada that goes by the name of DVSN - they're doing the same thing and I heard it's reeling in fans for them. And it's seen as a form of marketing strategy.