Infant

Regular
Kin
5,794💸
Kumi
1,695💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
In the manga, sage mode is described as the ability to utilize nature energy.

Irrespective of skill level, nature energy always leaves signs on the user, particularly animal features and markings on the face.

Now the common assumption is that the manga always tells when someone has specific abilities, but I'm not sure. Like, if the ability is described beforehand, is it illogical to simply showcase those signs without confirming the ability being used? An example would be when characters use chakra. In part 1, this was always noted but by part 2 it wasn't even stated. Now since we know those abilities require chakra, it seems we are being left to deduce that characters always go through the chakra moulding process even tho they don't say or show it.

I figure tye same applies to sage mode. We have already been told that there exists a clan with natural nature energy absorption (Jugo), so i figure others can practice sage mode too.

First is Kisame
He showed the ability to absorb chakra even without his sword, so combining this with his animalistic features (and the fact that energy absorption is symbolic of sharks eating everything) makes it likely he is actually a shark sage.

The second is Baki
He has the facial markings seen with Jiraiya and had the ability to cast ninjutsu without hand seals, something only seen Naruto (Frog Kata) using sage mode. Those combine with the logic that Orochimaru wouldn't entrust anyone without superior abilities with one of the most important goals in his life, inckuding the most powerful village with the greatest surveillance abilities (Byakugan) to make it likely that Baki is some sort of wind sage.

Third are Jinchuuriki
Bijuu are literally concentrations of nature energy, so being able to balance out their energy should count as sage mode, even if only technically.

There is also the Hozuki clan
They're literally water and their technique activates without any visible chakra moulding or hand seals

Any others? What say you?

Im_not_Osama_bin_laden

Regular
Kin
2,583💸
Kumi
330💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I do not think that Kisame, The Hozuki clan, Jinchuuriki, or Baki has a sage mode. Like with Kisame I am pretty sure we don't know his clan but they probably have some special features like the Jugo clan. The same goes for the Hozuki clan. The Jinchuuriki's are a little special since they are their own little thing. Naruto has been shown to use sage mode chakra cloak where he had chakra cloak and used sage mode. If Jinchuuriki's are sage mode then Naruto had to. Also, why would a weak fodder character ( Baki ) have a sage mode. I can't see that being a thing.

Infant

Regular
Kin
5,794💸
Kumi
1,695💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I do not think that Kisame, The Hozuki clan, Jinchuuriki, or Baki has a sage mode. Like with Kisame I am pretty sure we don't know his clan but they probably have some special features like the Jugo clan. The same goes for the Hozuki clan. The Jinchuuriki's are a little special since they are their own little thing. Naruto has been shown to use sage mode chakra cloak where he had chakra cloak and used sage mode. If Jinchuuriki's are sage mode then Naruto had to. Also, why would a weak fodder character ( Baki ) have a sage mode. I can't see that being a thing.
Yes . . . Jugo clan is Sage Transformation . . . Using nature energy to boost abilities.

Maybe my definition is kinda loose, but I count that as Sage Mode in OP.

Hold up, in what way is Baki weak?

Infant

Regular
Kin
5,794💸
Kumi
1,695💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
All the people that have sage mode are like Jinchuuriki level.
Jinchuuriki is just a status, not a reflection of power.

The only status which properly reflect power is 'Sannin', since their name directly stems from a showing of ability. To an extent, being part of a special clan (Uchiha, Senju etc) also implies power, but only in context and with explanation (like, baby Uchiha is genin level just like every other genin, it's only after awakening eyes and getting rank that assumptions can be made). Hmm, the seven swordsfolk of Kiri are also a reflection of ability, but even that is only relative to the rest of the village (such that, if everyone in the mist village is chunin level, then the swordfolk are only jonin by assumption while if everyone in the village is jonin level, then the swordsfolk are elite level).

So I'll need something more objective, or at least a reference to a specific character. For example, Jinchuuriki range from genin Naruto who gets slammed by any chunin, to Yugito who lost to Hidan, to Killer B who slammed all of Taka, to BM Naruto who could slam Gokage. That's why I can't work with it very well.

Perhaps also add your own standards for what each level is capable of so that I don't call someone jonin level when you yourself would consider the same skill set to be Gokage level . . . So to avoid unnecessary disagreement simply because we use different standards.

wanderingcactus

Veteran
Kin
2,117💸
Kumi
1,383💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
All the people that have sage mode are like Jinchuuriki level.
The teachings of Sage Mode is really about taking in the natural chakra (surrounding) and molding it with yours. So it doesn't really need to be overpowered.

The Curse Mark is also a type of Sage Mode. It uses the snake sage chakra, from Orochimaru. While not being a true sage mode, it is still a bastardization of it.

Jinjurikis also fall under this. The Bijuus themselves are Sages. But the Jins use their chakra directly instead of the surroundings.

As far as we can tell, Sage Mode typically requires 2 of the requirement: An affinity teacher (in which you will adopt their characteristics) and natural chakra. (toad = toad like features, snake is snake, slug? IDK Tsunade was very well talented in controlling chakra so maybe she would've turned into a slug as well. So6P has those alien horns and robe and uses god tree chakra, which is the greatest sage mode user in the world)

Much like the principle of the bijuudama, it functions the same way. Instead of using the bijuu's chakra, the chakra used to be mixed with is the surrounding, meaning it is coming from without rather than within. Not properly handling the new chakra coming in will result in bad mutation similar to what Jman under goes in.

With that said, Jugo certainly is a Sage Mode user. He takes in the environment's chakra and uses it for his own. I dont quite remember what Baki does. Nor do I remember if he under goes in a transition mode (whether it is markings or mutation).
If he does not exhibit any, then it is most likely that he is just an affinity user.

Kisame is a bit believable that he has some transformation. But I think it isn't the complete SM. I think it would be closer to a more Curse Mark kind since we don't know what chakra he uses. All we know is that the sword eats charka.

Reactions: Infant