Supreme
Kin
6,121💸
Kumi
1,800💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards

I never want to see someone die in a way kind seems like some ironic karma for abusing these animals. I dont know how cock fights go down but I had to no idea the put weapons on them. I really can't imagine how people get enjoyment from seeing animals brutalize each other I've seen a cat fight before and it was cool and funny just because it looked like a dbz fight as they fought in the air but wouldnt like it if they brutalized each other.

• Haha
Reactions: Infant and Rinnebel

YowYan

Legendary
Kin
1,244💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
So if I decide to occasionally have some chicken wings, I'm just as bad as someone who attaches 3 inch blades onto animals and watches them slaughter each other for the chance of winning some money?
Just because one situation has you screened from the violence behind the scenes as opposed to the other doesn't make it any less savage.

Reactions: Avaitto

Erzo

Legendary
Kin
551💸
Kumi
1,094💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
If you consume animal products you're no better. Walk the talk.
Just because one situation has you screened from the violence behind the scenes as opposed to the other doesn't make it any less savage.
I understand that, but do you honestly believe there is no distncition between killing animals for food, and having animals kill each other for pleasure/money?

Reactions: Troi

YowYan

Legendary
Kin
1,244💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I understand that, but do you honestly believe there is no distncition between killing animals for food, and having animals kill each other for pleasure/money?
How are they not the same thing? People raise and kill livestock for money and people eat them for taste / pleasure.

It's all intertwined, it's all senseless abuse. You only need to realize the connection.

• Haha

Erzo

Legendary
Kin
551💸
Kumi
1,094💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
How are they not the same thing? People raise and kill livestock for money and people eat them for taste / pleasure.

It's all intertwined, it's all senseless abuse. You only need to realize the connection.
Guessing you're a vegan since you have such strong views on this?

I'm not fully disagreeing with some of the things you believe in and it's an interesting discussion, but I draw the line at comparing animals killing each other as described in the original post (which I'd also describe as senseless), and livestock raised for food.

Leaving out the fact that I like in the UK, I'm thinking of places that I've been to, even where I'm originally from, where some people practically live off animals. Raising livestock isn't just always about raising animals to then be killed - sure, in the end that's most likely going to happen, but in the process, the same animals will provide milk, eggs, fur, and some are even used to assist with farming in one form or another.

So yes, battery farms are disgusting and wrong, but to generalise and say if you eat animal products you're just as bad as someone who organises cockfights is just nuts.

Reactions: Urda and Troi

YowYan

Legendary
Kin
1,244💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Guessing you're a vegan since you have such strong views on this?

I'm not fully disagreeing with some of the things you believe in and it's an interesting discussion, but I draw the line at comparing animals killing each other as described in the original post (which I'd also describe as senseless), and livestock raised for food.

Leaving out the fact that I like in the UK, I'm thinking of places that I've been to, even where I'm originally from, where some people practically live off animals. Raising livestock isn't just always about raising animals to then be killed - sure, in the end that's most likely going to happen, but in the process, the same animals will provide milk, eggs, fur, and some are even used to assist with farming in one form or another.

So yes, battery farms are disgusting and wrong, but to generalise and say if you eat animal products you're just as bad as someone who organises cockfights is just nuts.
@bold: I understand your point and, it is a good one but try to gain perspective by imagining an evening at an underground cockfight in which perhaps 8 roosters die and lets say that amount in one country amounts to a few hundred perhaps thousand a year and then compare that to the 982 million chickens that are killed annually in the U.K. It's a discussion comparable to dog lovers crying over an abused or ate dog on the internet while eating eggs, meat and dairy the same day fully aware that animals as smart- or even smarter than dogs are abused by grotesque numbers as compared to abused dogs. It's a disconnect. The eggs you buy at the supermarket go hand-in-hand with the maceration of day old-male chicks to name an example.

To own and raise cattle in third world countries as a means of survival, I understand the plight, but it's illogical when you think of how much water and crops go to feeding a cow. Backyard eggs I can understand as its the least oppressive form of livestock farming, but piggs, sheep and cows? Like many on here, you might be from India. Assuming you are, lets mention some nutritionally dense plants native to India that easily outpace what animal protein has too offer.. Moringa being one of them. As a tree that barely needs any attention, it offers 4x the amount of calcium that cowsmilk has to offer, 3x the potassium that bananas offer, 2x the protein that yoghurt has to offer, 7x the vitamin C that oranges have to offer and the list goes on.

Turn one small grassfield where some cattle would roam into a permaculture food forest andy you're set.

You might originate from another country but now you live in the U.K. which is one of the leading vegan countries in the world. Plenty of vegan alternatives hitting the market there, so if you know the horrors of the industry, whats your excuse?

Last edited:
  • Haha

Erzo

Legendary
Kin
551💸
Kumi
1,094💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
@bold: I understand your point and, it is a good one but try to gain perspective by imagining an evening at an underground cockfight in which perhaps 8 roosters die and lets say that amount in one country amounts to a few hundred perhaps thousand a year and then compare that to the 982 million chickens that are killed annually in the U.K. It's a discussion comparable to dog lovers crying over an abused or ate dog on the internet while eating eggs, meat and dairy the same day fully aware that animals as smart- or even smarter than dogs are abused by grotesque numbers as compared to abused dogs. It's a disconnect.

To own and raise cattle in third world countries as a means of survival, I understand the plight, but it's illogical when you think of how much water and crops go to feeding a cow. Eggs I can understand as its the least oppressive form of livestock farming, but piggs, sheep and cows? Like many on here, you might be from India. Assuming you are, lets mention some nutritionally dense plants native to India that easily outpace what animal protein has too offer.. Moringa being one of them. As a tree that barely needs any attention, it offers 4x the amount of calcium that cowsmilk has to offer, 3x the potassium that bananas offer, 2x the protein that yoghurt has to offer, 7x the vitamin C that oranges have to offer and the list goes on.

Turn one small grassfield where some cattle would roam into a permaculture food forest andy you're set.

You might originate from another country but now you live in the U.K. which is one of the leading vegan countries in the world. Plenty of vegan alternatives hitting the market there, so if you know the horrors of the industry, whats your excuse?
I hear you

As for your second paragraph, no I'm not from India and your points don't really work with the situation I had in mind but you're not to blame for that. Also, I mentioned that specific scenario to kind of make it clear that my issue was with your generalisation (as raising livestock is a way of life for some people), and not with your views on animal rights.

@ Your last point, you're right lol and it is something I thought about for a while -- not seriously if I'm being honest, but just as something to try it for a while. I started with replacing milk with alternatives which was kind of sustainable, but it literally costs twice as much (ok maybe not literally twice as much but still a lot pricier) to buy something like almond milk as opposed to just cows milk. I can do that if it's just replacing milk, but if I had to do that for all meals, thinking long term it definitely wouldn't be sustainable for me personally. I'm not saying that to have an 'excuse', it is just a fact.

Although it's not something I do everyday/with every meal, I eat animal based products because they're tasty.

YowYan

Legendary
Kin
1,244💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I hear you

As for your second paragraph, no I'm not from India and your points don't really work with the situation I had in mind but you're not to blame for that. Also, I mentioned that specific scenario to kind of make it clear that my issue was with your generalisation (as raising livestock is a way of life for some people), and not with your views on animal rights.

@ Your last point, you're right lol and it is something I thought about for a while -- not seriously if I'm being honest, but just as something to try it for a while. I started with replacing milk with alternatives which was kind of sustainable, but it literally costs twice as much (ok maybe not literally twice as much but still a lot pricier) to buy something like almond milk as opposed to just cows milk. I can do that if it's just replacing milk, but if I had to do that for all meals, thinking long term it definitely wouldn't be sustainable for me personally. I'm not saying that to have an 'excuse', it is just a fact.

Although it's not something I do everyday/with every meal, I eat animal based products because they're tasty.
Yeah, I get your point regarding the 'farmer's way of life'. But there are other ways to source your sustenance regardless of where you live in the world. I follow pages where poor people from asian countries live as vegans and actually save more money that way and get more connected to where their food comes from and start growing their on.

I've been to London many times, last time being 2017 but I don't remember the prices of vegan products. Over here, its €1.70 for a a liter of oatmilk, almondmilk, rice milk, hazelnutmilk, soymilk or cashewmilk. There are some expensive brands but they're slowly becoming more affordable due to the high-demand. Keep in mind that dairy is subsidized by the governments. The U.K. spent nearly a million pounds of taxpayers money on advertisementd promoting the consumption of dairy. Big dairy get covid19 bailout support from the govt. That is taxpayers' money.

That's honest of you to say that you eat animal products because of the taste. Most ppl would talk some rubbish about protein or iron.

Anyways, the U.K. houses some of the most notorious globally known vegan activists. Perhaps you could try Earthling Ed. I think he also made a video on this study done in the u.k. showing that vegan groceries are actually cheaper than animal products.

Last edited: