Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Howdy tech peers!

I should probably be posting this on a legit teching forum, but why not have some fun here as well?

My system is a Windows 7 Professional X32 bit. I have a 1GB video card with 4GB of ram, but only 2.75GB are accessible, reserving the rest for the system.

My question is if I should upgrade to the X64 bit version (yes I have the CD with a legit key) so as to make use of all my RAM. I have a 680i LT SLI motherboard (I'll upgrade later :p) and am wondering as to if it would really make that much of a difference. I've been putting it off TBH but to re install all of my programs and such would definitely be a pain (I have at least 27 that I use on a regular basis, most with pre-customized settings, I think you know what I mean)

Also, how MUCH of a difference would the extra 1.25GB make? Thank you for your time (& yes the motherboard would be able to see it I have looked into that)

Unbiased

Veteran
Kin
8💸
Kumi
3💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Howdy tech peers!

I should probably be posting this on a legit teching forum, but why not have some fun here as well?

My system is a Windows 7 Professional X32 bit. I have a 1GB video card with 4GB of ram, but only 2.75GB are accessible, reserving the rest for the system.

My question is if I should upgrade to the X64 bit version (yes I have the CD with a legit key) so as to make use of all my RAM. I have a 680i LT SLI motherboard (I'll upgrade later :p) and am wondering as to if it would really make that much of a difference. I've been putting it off TBH but to re install all of my programs and such would definitely be a pain (I have at least 27 that I use on a regular basis, most with pre-customized settings, I think you know what I mean)

Also, how MUCH of a difference would the extra 1.25GB make? Thank you for your time (& yes the motherboard would be able to see it I have looked into that)
That 1.25 ram being used is being used by your OS. So that 2.75 that is accessible is what you have to spare lol. If you have any other questions just message me I build and diagnose computer i'll be happy to help you out.

Reactions: Xaviour

geekysoul

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
i would recommend you to stay on 32 bit then force windows to use all ram, i'm sure there is a way for it, just google it :D but if you are an editor, some softwares such as video editing app like after effects requires 64bit. so it depends on you, :D you can stay on 32 bit then force windows to use all ram or freshly install 64 bit and windows will automatically use all your ram :D

Reactions: Xaviour

Xaviour

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
That 1.25 ram being used is being used by your OS. So that 2.75 that is accessible is what you have to spare lol. If you have any other questions just message me I build and diagnose computer i'll be happy to help you out.
i would recommend you to stay on 32 bit then force windows to use all ram, i'm sure there is a way for it, just google it :D but if you are an editor, some softwares such as video editing app like after effects requires 64bit. so it depends on you, :D you can stay on 32 bit then force windows to use all ram or freshly install 64 bit and windows will automatically use all your ram :D
Hmmm, well in that case I guess it's time for an upgrade. I'll get a new computer on boxing day :)

Still though, I'll throw X64bit onto it anyways, I'll be swapping out the harddrives with the new system, they're new so it'll all work out in the end.

Thanks you two! More rep :D

Zombie

Veteran
Kin
241💸
Kumi
6💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Wow, you should really look into Linux.

I never realized that if a win user wanted to change their kernel, they'd have to do a complete install. Kind of ridiculous, just to upgrade a kernel, but whatever.