Elite
Kin
9,371💸
Kumi
1,003💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Is the atheist argument that religion is fake mistaken?

I mean that, perhaps religion is not "supposed" to be a science, but simply faith.

And if the purpose of religion is allegorical and believing, then the question of "is it real", becomes redundant right?

Then I also have another question, if religion is truly about faith and allegories, then what the **** is the point of religion to begin with?

Do you really need an organization about faith? Now in a world where we have ideals and genre entertainment, popculture all sorts of crap.

Is religion even needed?

I don't know if morals and arts come from religion to being with, but at best if they do, don't we just need to pay respect to the origins?

Do we really need to revert everything back to religion, and not simply be happy with the modern law enforcement we have today?

I don't want wishy washy answers, please try to explain yourself clearly.

salamander uchiha

Legendary
Kin
9,043💸
Kumi
6,082💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
The claim of science is quite loose.

What is science?

Observation of the natural world, and the study of it to discover patterns and repetition etc. To use that knowledge for whatever purpose is down to the people, some use it make medicine, others better infrastructure, ships, trains, heck even weapons for defence or domination etc.

What is religion?

Religion is a set of instructions structured so one can navigate through the material world. They are sent my the originator of the universe (God) on how to live in this world as to avoid chaos. That is the monotheistic take on the purpose of religion.

The Atheist's problem wouldn't be with that, it seems to be with the representative of God's will or with God. I know some churches elevated their clergy to divine status, they made edicts which conflict with the natural world, which causes Atheists to doubt the originator (God). Heck they even altered scriptures to fit with their worldview which would also cause one to doubt God. Then they will ignore rational proofs for an originator for that reason. They will even take theories postualated by somebody as fact, just to justify it to themselves. It's kind of ironic, no? Theories and science are actually two distinct fields, melded into one, which causes the confusion. They need to be separated again so people can distinguish between fact (observation repetitive processes) and speculation (theory).

Anyway, the purpose of religion is to live by a set of rules ordained by God, to live a better life, be a better person, to know God (discover his marvels), so when one meets God they meet God in a favourable condition. And if one is to err, then they have a guide to get back on the right path. That is the primary purpose of religion.

Reactions: Infant and Chikombo

Avani

Supreme
Kin
5,406💸
Kumi
480💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Is the atheist argument that religion is fake mistaken?
Religions often have two or three parts:
  • Faith /belief in supernatural claims
  • Sprinkle of some general moral value has been used in two ways- older traditions used faith as vehicle to get people to behave, others, mostly newer ones, to give their faith some legitimate authenticity
  • Political/tribalistic expansion agenda
Not sure of "fake" is the right terms to be used here, but the supernatural stories and fantastical claims told in it's name are obviously just made up fantasies. And glossing over or justifying political expansionism combined with cultural imperialism in name of religion, is damn annoying because it leads to attempt to force it on others. At this stage things get in to realm of extrmism and turn violent.

Chikombo

Elite
Kin
9,371💸
Kumi
1,003💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Religions often have two or three parts:
  • Faith /belief in supernatural claims
  • Sprinkle of some general moral value has been used in two ways- older traditions used faith as vehicle to get people to behave, others, mostly newer ones, to give their faith some legitimate authenticity
  • Political/tribalistic expansion agenda
Not sure of "fake" is the right terms to be used here, but the supernatural stories and fantastical claims told in it's name are obviously just made up fantasies. And glossing over or justifying political expansionism combined with cultural imperialism in name of religion, is damn annoying because it leads to attempt to force it on others. At this stage things get in to realm of extrmism and turn violent.
Right but at what level do people believe in all those supernatural fantasies? Cus those stories can matter to people, but I don't think everyone sees them as truth that should replace history books right?

I know there are alot of religious people that are concerned with irrelevant stuff but refuses to acknowledge climate change.

But also isn't there different levels of belief? Just because you care for example the bible, it doesn't mean you consider it as fact right?

Avani

Supreme
Kin
5,406💸
Kumi
480💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Right but at what level do people believe in all those supernatural fantasies? Cus those stories can matter to people, but I don't think everyone sees them as truth that should replace history books right?

I know there are alot of religious people that are concerned with irrelevant stuff but refuses to acknowledge climate change.

But also isn't there different levels of belief? Just because you care for example the bible, it doesn't mean you consider it as fact right?
No they cannot replace history books. Though they can be useful to understand prevalent values, beliefs and life at the time they were created. Some minor events or legendary heroes mayhave been someone real at the time. But their exploitation and achievements got balooned up over time and fans made them larger than life adding more and more fantastical stories on top. You can see that even today. Mother Teresa was a real person. But she was overhyped when alive. And the stories church made up after her death to give her the title of saint are all 100% fake.