Legendary
Kin
3💸
Kumi
3💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
President Trump finally did something for the betterment of America with the tariffs on imported steel and aluminum. This is the one thing in his Presidency I can definitely say will be good for us. The best part is he basically said screw the EU and China and kept Mexico and Canada exempt.

The second best part of this is you can tell which members of congress are in the pockets of China by their reaction.

If you disagree with his action please let me know why. :cool:

HowDidIGetPrem

Elite
Kin
5,803💸
Kumi
1,192💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Disagree because of environmental and human rights concerns. It gives American industries incentive to expand in foreign areas thanks to the void. They don't necessarily have to get the raw materials or anything from America. There's going to be additional factories and extraction just like that.
It'll be a nice source of cash whether through the tax from the tariffs, industries that are now American in name and taxed so, and from the jobs, but I just can't support it. It's not like the current government has any interest in throwing the extra money where it matters. Not a bad move I guess though.

Lightbringer

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I wouldn't be so sure. While it would help boost steel and aluminum industry in the U.S., the increase cost for industries that make product using those metals would lead to overall job losses. Then there's also the fact that the EU is now proposing a 25% tariff on U.S. goods in retaliation....

From what various studies say, the tariffs would only increase employment in metals industries 33,464 while cost companies that rely on steel and aluminum about 179,334 jobs. Based on those numbers and the potential of a trade-war, I don't see how this is good?

Multiply

Legendary
Kin
3💸
Kumi
3💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I wouldn't be so sure. While it would help boost steel and aluminum industry in the U.S., the increase cost for industries that make product using those metals would lead to overall job losses. Then there's also the fact that the EU is now proposing a 25% tariff on U.S. goods in retaliation....
I heard that lobbyist argument but they refuse to explain which companies would be laying people off because of these increases in aluminum or steel costs. Car companies? Can factories? Buy american. If we just keep getting screwed over by China because their prices are so low we'll eventually import everything and export nothing.

I actually read something about how Coors was complaining about the increase and someone did the math and it came out to an extra 2 pennies per 6-pack.
From what various studies say, the tariffs would only increase employment in metals industries 33,464 while cost companies that rely on steel and aluminum about 179,334 jobs. Based on those numbers and the potential of a trade-war, I don't see how this is good?

I checked the link and they don't really explain how they got their numbers. It really only says that they used the same numbers from the global trade analysis database.

Lightbringer

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I heard that lobbyist argument but they refuse to explain which companies would be laying people off because of these increases in aluminum or steel costs. Car companies? Can factories? Buy american. If we just keep getting screwed over by China because their prices are so low we'll eventually import everything and export nothing.

I actually read something about how Coors was complaining about the increase and someone did the math and it came out to an extra 2 pennies per 6-pack.

I checked the link and they don't really explain how they got their numbers. It really only says that they used the same numbers from the global trade analysis database.
The study was linked in the article, and yes automobile manufacturers would be among those that would have their jobs impacted.

Previously, Bush implemented steel tariffs which ended with the same result.

Obama also imposed his own tariffs against China which backfired horribly.

So if history is any indication, I don't see how Trump's tariff on the E.U. would produce any other results?

Last edited:

Urda

Supreme
Kin
2,210💸
Kumi
7,699💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I read around and the tariffs seem to impact large business than smaller ones. Big Bussiness get a headache (low employment) while it argues that the tariffs would level the playing field for small business (in theory). However, it is said Trump's plan is not thought through and can be a double-edged sword.

Last edited:

Multiply

Legendary
Kin
3💸
Kumi
3💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
The study was linked in the article, and yes automobile manufacturers would be among those that would have their jobs impacted.

Previously, Bush implemented steel tariffs which ended with the same result.

Obama also imposed his own tariffs against China which backfired horribly.

So if history is any indication, I don't see how Trump's tariff on the E.U. would produce any other results?

Obama's tariffs actually weren't that bad. I'm pretty sure, for at least the tire tariff, most people were generally happy and most companies did not lose many/any jobs.

As for the steel and aluminum tariff it's completely different. We need these things for our military(Specifically the navy, but also for air craft). Like I said before. Sure some prices might rise, however that is what happens when you create jobs. The less you import the more things cost. The more you manufacture, the more jobs you create. The more people have jobs, the more they can afford. Rinse and repeat. That's how an economy grows. You can't have a great economy and not manufacture(Or produce) anything.

Lightbringer

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Obama's tariffs actually weren't that bad. I'm pretty sure, for at least the tire tariff, most people were generally happy and most companies did not lose many/any jobs.

As for the steel and aluminum tariff it's completely different. We need these things for our military(Specifically the navy, but also for air craft). Like I said before. Sure some prices might rise, however that is what happens when you create jobs. The less you import the more things cost. The more you manufacture, the more jobs you create. The more people have jobs, the more they can afford. Rinse and repeat. That's how an economy grows. You can't have a great economy and not manufacture(Or produce) anything.
Obama's tariffs cost thousands of jobs and saved only 1,200. It hurt more than helped. Here's the actual study to it.

Same goes for Bush, who put tariffs on steel, just as Trump is doing now.

With that said, I don't really see the basis for it being good since we've yet to see any good resulting from those actions even in the long-run.

Last edited:

wanderingcactus

Veteran
Kin
2,117💸
Kumi
1,383💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

this is a cool article and so is this one

the thing that will happen is that US will just lose its business with EU and EU will sell their stuff to one of the emerging nations

Clown World

Bonbibonkers' bf
Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
7💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Disagree because of environmental and human rights concerns. It gives American industries incentive to expand in foreign areas thanks to the void. They don't necessarily have to get the raw materials or anything from America. There's going to be additional factories and extraction just like that.
It'll be a nice source of cash whether through the tax from the tariffs, industries that are now American in name and taxed so, and from the jobs, but I just can't support it. It's not like the current government has any interest in throwing the extra money where it matters. Not a bad move I guess though.
Human rights are incoherent, there are no such thing as universal human rights.

Chikombo

Elite
Kin
9,371💸
Kumi
1,003💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I'm not american but isn't this a little selfish?

How do you think his meeting with Kim Jong Un is gonna go?

Trump be like, "destroy your nukes."

And Kim goes like "Nope".

Trump goes "Please, and do you wanna be my friend..."

This seems like the one thing people agree on with him, the one thing that he has always said that seems positive.