Pre-CR, What made Tsunade Jonin and Sannin level?

Tazzilla88

Veteran
Kin
2💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Tsunade gained the title of sannin during the second great shinobi war.

Now we know that Tsunade did not have creation rebirth, and by extension byakugou given Orochimaru's words.
You must be registered for see images
Also given how the Byakugou seal has only held two purposes thus far, and looking at flashbacks from the era of the second shinobi war, Tsunade did not possess the seal
I'm curious as to how Tsunade gained the title sannin as her most impressive jutsu displayed come from her byakugou seal.

Now, we can gather at least by the end of the war, Tsunade was able to summon Katsuyu.
she became known as the slug princess. And Orochimaru was aware of Katsuyu's healing abilities.

However, the sannin's battle did not occur at the end of the war, as Tsunade was revered as a legendary sannin by the time Dan died.
Given none of the large summonings were present at the time the sannin fought Hanzo, they did not become legendary for their use of summons.

Jiraiya makes a claim that I was never particularly sure what to make of, namely that Tsunade knew a technique more amazing than the chidori.
Personally, I've always disregarded this hype. But, I'm trying to make rational sense of the power Tsunade must have possessed without her regeneration jutsus, and without Katsuyu, that allowed her to gain the title sannin and to be called powerful by Hanzo. Now obviously, Tsunade created some medical techniques, but I doubt those techniques alone was enough to allow her personally to survive the man considered to be an Icon of his generation.
Think about that, Jiraiya didn't think any one particular powerful shinobi would solo Hanzo. And we certainly have seen Hanzo's speed. Given his hype, and the feats we've seen displayed from the kage who lived during his generation (Hiruzen, Oonoki, Third Raikage, Trollkage, Muu etc.) we can gauge the power that prime Hanzo possessed. At that time, it seems the hierarchy of skill within the sannin went Orochimaru -> Tsunade -> Jiraiya. So I suppose I'm asking what is the likelihood of Tsunade having upper tier offensive/defensive abilities outside of taijutsu.

Tazzilla88

Veteran
Kin
2💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Saninn isn't level neither rank.

it's just a title given by hanzo ..
It's clearly indicative of a specific level of ability that is beyond jonin. As they were referred to as the legendary three ninja. As opposed to the average jonin that every village has. There'd be nothing legendary about the Three ninja if they were of standard jonin variety.

Tazzilla88

Veteran
Kin
2💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
A title very well earned and known by all.

Tsunade was just there when the title was given :)
If that is true, then why did Hanzo say that all three of the ninja were powerful, and why is it that Jiraiya is resting upon her at the point in the battle.

It's also worth noting that part 2 Sakura was only chunnin level until the war arc. Which seems to indicate to me that second ninja war Tsunade > Early part 2 Sakura.

Last edited:

T I A

Banned
Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Sannin isn't a level rank.

OT- I bet Hanzo was impressed by Orochimaru and Jiraya and gave the whole team the name.
Tsunade was just pre-war arc. Sakura this time. And we all know what rank pre-war arc sakura is..

Tazzilla88

Veteran
Kin
2💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Sannin isn't a level rank.

OT- I bet Hanzo was impressed by Orochimaru and Jiraya and gave the whole team the name.
Tsunade was just pre-war arc. Sakura this time. And we all know what rank pre-war arc sakura is..
As I already stated that doesn't hold with what is factually known. Hanzo claimed that all three of the sannin were powerful.

Also Sakura was only chuunin level pre-war arc, whereas Tsunade obviously had to be above that level to survive.

T I A

Banned
Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
As I already stated that doesn't hold with what is factually known. Hanzo claimed that all three of the sannin were powerful.

Also Sakura was only chuunin level pre-war arc, whereas Tsunade obviously had to be above that level to survive.
There is only one thing that is different. 2 War arc Tsunade > early part 2 Sakura in strength and mecial nin.. oh and maybe Katsuyu.

paratise

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Conseidering most ninja in NV pack kunai and throw them (or have an element if they are lucky) i don't see why Tsunade with good taijutsu, super strength, decent speed, medical abilities, intellect, poison knowledge and possible usage can't be regarded as a good ninja even that point of power; especially when she has 2 teammates. There is No need for speculating that she has other things as she is already more versatile than most ninja with said abilities and can be regarded as much more powerful than your avarage ninja.

Tazzilla88

Veteran
Kin
2💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
There is only one thing that is different. 2 War arc Tsunade > early part 2 Sakura in strength and mecial nin.. oh and maybe Katsuyu.
There should still be a difference in ability, especially since none of the summons are there, do you really think Early Part2 Sakura would have survived against a man who had the power to make shinobi world renown?
Here are the Shinobi who are world renown pre war arc:
Sannin
Kages
Hanzo
Madara
Minato - As he was world renown before being a kage
Think of that tier of shinobi and try imagining Sakura surviving. Bearing in mind that Hiruzen was know as the strongest of his generation of kage, and Jiraiya, his pupil, and the teacher of Minato, didn't seem to think a single man could take down Hanzo.

Tazzilla88

Veteran
Kin
2💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Conseidering most ninja in NV pack kunai and throw them (or have an element if they are lucky) i don't see why Tsunade with good taijutsu, super strength, decent speed, medical abilities, intellect, poison knowledge and possible usage can't be regarded as a good ninja even that point of power; especially when she has 2 teammates. There is No need for speculating that she has other things as she is already more versatile than most ninja with said abilities and can be regarded as much more powerful than your avarage ninja.
I see your point there, still this is also the era of Danzo Shimura, Hiruzen Sarutobi, Muu, Oonoki, Trollkage, Third Raikage, maybe Ay, Chiyo and Konoha's White Fang.
It'd had probably been no more than 15 years since Tobirama passed away, and maybe 2 decades since Hashirama passed away. Madara too would still be in the memory of people. Thus, I find being an Icon in those times to be a distinction of merit, ya know?
Edit: And it's pretty clear that Hanzo was fighting with killing intent so with a proper weighing of the manga it just doesn't seem like those abilities would be enough to hold your own against such a tour-de- force

Last edited:

FemmeFatale

Supreme
Kin
156💸
Kumi
2,771💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Idk, I think she had it fairly young, because jirayah's picture
And she probably use Katsuyu more offensively

Or she probably used her chakra control for speed and scalpels, she did say Kabuto fought simular to her

Last edited:

itachiuchiha21

Banned
Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Tsunade got through the ranks by doing certain favors for the male officials, if you know what I mean, she is just like all ashura descendants, a poor ninja with zero skills Lol

Willie8622

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
The Sannin are said to be almost at Kage level, so you can be sure that they are damn impressive whether they are fighting or not. Just remember that they were all a bit younger when they fought Hanzo, and still it was considered a tie. So each Sannin member has their own strength and weaknesses but because they are toad, snake and slug they compliment each other real well.

There isn't alot of 3-member teams (actual teams) that can take on the Sannin and survive.

OT : I am sure Tsunade has alot of techniques which just haven't been shown in the manga, just as Orochimaru, Jiraiya, Kakashi, Tobirama, Hiruzen, Hashirama, Madara and all other legendary shinobi that I haven't mentioned.

Exaar

Legendary
Kin
5💸
Kumi
3💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Jiraiya makes a claim that I was never particularly sure what to make of, namely that Tsunade knew a technique more amazing than the chidori.
I might be missing something but how does this scan say anything or even hint tsunade having a technique more amazing than Chidori?.

Think about that, Jiraiya didn't think any one particular powerful shinobi would solo Hanzo. And we certainly have seen Hanzo's speed. Given his hype, and the feats we've seen displayed from the kage who lived during his generation (Hiruzen, Oonoki, Third Raikage, Trollkage, Muu etc.) we can gauge the power that prime Hanzo possessed. At that time, it seems the hierarchy of skill within the sannin went Orochimaru -> Tsunade -> Jiraiya. So I suppose I'm asking what is the likelihood of Tsunade having upper tier offensive/defensive abilities outside of taijutsu.
I think when jiraiya was talking about Hanzo and how he cannot believe he was defeated, I don't think Jiraiya was strictly talking about Hanzo's strength alone but more of the fact that Hanzo is basically guarded by his personal army 24/7. Since in that scan that man stated getting to Hanzo was piratically impossible.
Not only was someone able to defeat hanzo but was able to get to him through his army or how ever many shinobi he had guarding him at the time also.

Tobi98

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Sakura doesn't always have the seal in her forehead and look at Tsunade's stats and see if she deserves to be S rank or not (she does IMO)

DemonicAvenger

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I think its a bad translation when it comes to what Jiriaya said.

I remember watching the Anime as a kid and Jiraiya was hyping up a Jutsu that he could teach Naruto over Chidori.​

AGoodBoy

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
The technique jiraiya was talking about is her strength -- if he's truly talking about tsunade, but i think he's talking about himself and rasengan and that's a bad translation -- The ability for her to explode chakra from her fists at the last second to demolish large areas(what she taught sakura).

Anyway, Tsunade's a sannin because she's extremely strong and a 5 in taijutsu. Her taijutsu is overlooked, but people with 5's in taijutsu are usually very good at it. Against normal opponents, tsunade would crush them no diff (ex. naruto who she beat with 1 finger). against a platoon of jounin, tsunade would crush them all by destroying the ground.

tl;dr; tsunade's strength and taijutsu made her a sannin.

Last edited: