Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
You must be registered for see images

Series Name: Parasyte -the maxim- / Kiseijuu: Sei no Kakuritsu

Year of Serialization: An anime television series adaptation by Madhouse titled Parasyte -the maxim- (寄生獣 セイの格率 Kiseijū Sei no Kakuritsu?) began airing in Japan on NTV on October 8, 2014

Author(s): Hitoshi Iwaaki

Genre(s): Body Horror, Science fiction, Action, Drama, Psychological, Science Fiction, Seinen

Current Status: Ongoing

Moment of Reviewing: 17th Episode

Other Formats:

Series summary

Based on Iwaaki Hitoshi's science-fiction horror manga by the same name.

The 17-year-old Izumi Shinichi lives with his mother and father in a quiet neighborhood in Tokyo. One night, worm-like aliens called Parasytes invade Earth, taking over the brains of human hosts by entering through their ears or noses. One Parasyte attempts to crawl into Shinichi's ear while he sleeps, but fails since he is wearing headphones, and enters his body by burrowing into his arm instead, taking over his right hand and is named Migi.

Because Shinichi was able to prevent Migi from traveling further up into his brain, both beings retain their separate intellect and personality. As the duo encounter other Parasytes, they capitalize on their strange situation and gradually form a strong bond, working together to survive. This gives them an edge in battling other Parasytes, who frequently attack the pair upon realization that Shinichi's human brain is still intact. Shinichi feels compelled to fight other Parasytes, who devour humans as food, while enlisting Migi's help.

Critical Review

The show is about a high school student who encounters several unusual, frightful events. Upon meeting and hosting Migi on his right arm Shinichi's life takes a drastic change. His persona, behaviour, physical appearance gradually begin to change. He changes into a completely different person from the events that follow. His mother gets killed by a Parasite (alien creature like Migi) causing Shinichi a mental breakdown. He begins to hate on all of Parasite kind and aims to kill them one by one. However a lot more sad events follow his life as many of his loved ones die or get attacked by Parasytes which Shinichi fights to protect them.

In my personal opinion what makes the show most interesting is:

• Shinichi's psychological changes as he questions himself why his persona changed drastically. For example: Why does he feel sad for people who die but can't cry anymore? The whole trauma and inner turmoil he experiences within himself is very well written and the experiences, changes in feelings he undergoes are intricately illustrated within his character.

• His new relationship with Migi. Migi is a cold hearted parasite like all of his kind who only think rationally and feel no compassion about other beings. At the beginning of the series he only sees Shinichi as the body he has to protect because their lives are connected biologically since he is the parasite and Shinichi is the host. If Shinichi dies, Migi also dies because they are biologically connected. Later on, Migi starts developing human compassion which at first he called it useless and could not understand why humans have compassion towards each other. The development of their relationship is very intensive and the portrayal how Migi is humanised but Shinichi adopts Migi's personality portrays very good how humans can live with other creatures.

• The show is based on Shinichi questioning his existence. There are many shocking events that are supposed to surprise you and even Parasytes who begin to adopt to human behaviour also start questioning their existence. It makes you think that even ruthless creatures can adopt to human feelings and question their existence. Why do they live? Why did they fall onto Earth? Is their purpose to only eradicate humankind and slaughter them or is there something more to it? These some of the questions a few of the Parasytes ask during the events that happen in the show. The whole series is focused at the main characters and the psychological changes they experience especially on their existence which makes the show very thought provoking. It's just different from the typical anime.

The Story: I love the whole psychological centered theme, the plot and the progression the story has so I would give it at least a 9.

Animation: The animation overall is very decent. I rate it at 8.5

Sound: There are dubstep soundtracks. I never tried to listen to dubstep before I started watching this anime so that's something new for me which I enjoyed. The soundtracks fits in perfectly with the action.

Characters: The best written ones are of course the mains Shinichi and Migi but there are "side-characters" who are closely related to the the mains for short periods of time in the series that are good written as well. The development is focused more on Shnichi's and Migi's changes in personality, how they emotionally grow which I like a lot. I'd give it a 9.

Overall: It's a 9, definitely a 9 up until now. Only 17 episodes have been aired and I'm impatiently waiting for the new episode to be aired. The plot is interesting, the characters are well written and the whole series is very entertaining.

I recommend it to watch, although not everyone may like it and it does contains gore-horror scenes but if you like psychological drama animes you'll probably enjoy it as much as I do.

This is the first "critical" review I ever wrote so it may be a bit short, but I hope you guys enjoyed it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Desiigner

Yusuke Urameshi

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I noticed quite a few grammatical mistakes, but I'll leave those alone this time. lol

OT: You shouldn't spoil something in the review. The first paragraph of your "Critical Review" section spoils something that's pretty core to the series and Shinichi. And I don't entirely get why you made a review when the series isn't even finished. Meh.

Hexuze

Supreme
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
It's probably one of the best horror anime series out there, I enjoyed it a lot more than AoT/TG. Like someone mentioned, you can't really give it a review when the anime isn't done yet. (even if you read the manga)

Blush of Dawn

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I noticed quite a few grammatical mistakes, but I'll leave those alone this time. lol
English is my third language so it's not perfect. I tried my best (>_>)

OT: You shouldn't spoil something in the review. The first paragraph of your "Critical Review" section spoils something that's pretty core to the series and Shinichi. And I don't entirely get why you made a review when the series isn't even finished. Meh.
Oh I see. It's the first time I do something like this. I tried to write my thoughts on it but :I

It's probably one of the best horror anime series out there, I enjoyed it a lot more than AoT/TG.
I'm a big fan of the series so I'll agree :)

Like someone mentioned, you can't really give it a review when the anime isn't done yet. (even if you read the manga)
;_; Alright.

nefraiko

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I didn't like the ending, Migi calling shinishi "my friend", dying for him, that's not like miggi, perhaps in another 20 episodes where we can see the developpement of miggi from the heartless creature to an emotional being but I didn't see this developpement.
the ending felt rushed for me.
but it's still a great manga/anime.