Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

Chapter 13: One Step at a Time

First thing guys, I am extremely sorry for the delay. I will try my best to get faster but life is not on the same page as me so the problem occurs that I will not be able to upload too fast. Right now I've forced time over this break to make this chapter but please bear with more delays, thank you.

Another piece of news is that I will be doing a rewrite soon, not something like I did last time mind you. The thing is that I've found that I presented some things too vaguely, important things. Therefore it is of importance I fix it, I mean if my start is not up to the standards, what does it matter what I do later? Just so you know I will NOT remove the story this time, I will just replace the text with the new version and tell you guys of which chapters I'm done with as I go.

As most of you know, I am not TOO experienced as a writer so there WILL be some mistakes, these can be best amended if you point them out in a review; constructive criticism, which I have received, I'm grateful for it. So if there's anything you think is wrong, do mention it and I'll judge it. Should I agree with you, I will definitely implement your opinion, but please bear with some things I'll keep keeping in mind future plans...rather crazy future plans. *I'll chuckle lightly here*

Since my time to write is limited, I think a rewrite now is a better option because that is something I know fully and can be done in pieces over time, I'll try to keep my uploading pace up and once again... Forgive me for the delay and be understanding of further delays.

"Tired of being what you want me to be" - Human Speech
"Feeling so faithless, lost under the surface" - Human Thought
"Don't know what you're expecting from me" - Biju Speech
"Put under the pressure, of walking in your shoes" - Biju Thought
Kage Bunshin no Jutsu (Shadow Clone Technique) - Jutsu

Quote of the Day:
There are...many types of monsters in this world: Monsters who will not show themselves and who cause trouble; monsters who abduct children; monsters who devour dreams; monsters who suck blood, and...monsters who always tell lies. Lying monsters are a real nuisance. They are much more cunning than other monsters. They pose as humans even though they have no understanding of the human heart. They eat even though they've never experienced hunger. They study even though they have no interest in academics. They seek friendship even though they do not know how to love. If I were to encounter such a monster, I would likely be eaten by it. Because in truth, I am that monster. ~ L Lawliet (Death Note)

Disclaimer: I FaHaD 5212 do not own Naruto (Who knew?)

Chapter 13: One Step at a Time

Ninja Academy - Konoha

It was early in the morning, not too much so, and everyone had arrived to the institute on time. Sitting in the front seat in the middle were Naruto, Nana and Mea. They sat in silence, not seeing the need to chat, as did the class seeing that the teacher had officially started the lesson.

This seating of the three was something out of the ordinary and it was so because Iruka had pretty much forced it. He did not know of Naruto's true condition but as a form of punishment for the boy's being absent and the girls' absent mindedness, he forced them to sit where he could see them and not near the back; his lessons were going to be taken seriously.

Of course our main cast did not really complain, having no reason to. Sitting calmly, looking at Iruka's neck, and showing respect to the teacher by not looking him directly in the eye. On the other hand Iruka felt both delighted and peeved, at the respect and indifference to his punishment respectively. 'Weren't they sitting at the back because they were less interested? Oh well, at least they're good kids.' Iruka shrugged the thought to the side and began his lecture.

After his collapsing the previous day, Naruto had been set on bed to rest by those who remained. The girls had dinner with their mother figure, who left for her home in about an hour of chatting...gossiping.

"So class, who can tell me about the vital spots in the body which can be targeted for a swift kill?" Iruka's question was not unfounded, after all, the students were all given details that they would have to kill or be killed and almost everyone agreed that killing for your village was better than dying alone, the exceptions being the ones with a big enough heart. Harsh, yes, but it was something that was drilled into their heads so that they could be better prepared for the first kill... To facilitate which being the responsibility of the Jounin Sensei. The ninja life was better to be accepted at a younger age so those who wanted out were left out.

The reply came from Naruto, who stood up as he decided to at least stay in his teacher's good graces, "The head to deal with the brain, the best shot is one which land between the eyes from the front. Then there's the heart, a quick stab from the front or back is enough for a kill; this is usually the best target. The least preferred is slitting the neck as it is too messy and can compromise stealth." The boy then sat down.

"Good, I see you didn't forget anything in your break." Iruka was pleased to see that the boy wasn't dulled by the break, however saddened that he was teaching a class of children how to kill better. Of course the boy’s answer was incomplete in the eyes of a veteran but these were amateurs who were new in the bloody business of Shinobi.

Iruka then proceeded to ask more small questions before moving on with his lecture on the various types of weapons which a Shinobi can use.

Sitting behind Naruto, Kiba could not help but crack a joke at Naruto's absence, "Hey Naruto, you alright mate? Did you get taken care of? Oh wait, there's no one to do it!" The feral looking boy chuckled as he gave the remark.

Naruto looked down for a second, Shisui's face coming into mind. He was tempted to use his Sharingan and take out his stress on Kiba but restrained himself, allowing himself to look at Kiba with a noticeable touch of sadness betraying his expression; Naruto was a mere child who was going through depression after all. And who could expect him to be headstrong? He wasn’t even ten.

Kiba suddenly noticed he had either offended the blond or mocked him about something serious, probably both, so wasted no time in apologizing, his tone sincere, "Sorry man, I didn't think you'd take it to heart."

Naruto nodded, smiling ever so slightly knowing that Kiba, while brash and crude, was an innocent boy at heart, 'I guess not everyone here is bad... Is that what you wanted to protect, Shisu-nii?'

Kiba was taken aback, never once had Naruto smiled in class and here he was, smiling at the one everyone thought the blond hated. Grinning back, Kiba leaned forward and on his table extending a hand towards the, unbeknownst to him, grieving boy, "Friends...?"

It was Naruto's turn to get a surprise, however he kept himself and proceeded to shake the Inuzuka's hand, moving himself to facilitate his action, "Associates, friendship is something special for me...do understand." In his mind Naruto thought, 'One step at a time... Maybe there's still hope in being united with these people.'

"Look at you trying to act cool and all. Chill out a little, won't you?" Kiba then pulled away his hand and moved back into his seat.

"Heh." Naruto then proceeded to pay attention to Iruka, who miraculously did not notice the exchange happening right under his nose; going on about how a Katana was not the only type of sword that was forged.

=====OFR=====
Hokage Monument - Above the Shodaime Hokage's Stone Head – Konoha

"So peaceful, so calm, so unaware..." muttered a lone person clad in Anbu gear, glancing over the village slowly and with casual curiosity.”Is it even worth it?"

Currently Uchiha Itachi was sitting on the stone head of the village's founder, Senju Hashirama. Ironic really, an Uchiha sitting in a place made to honor a Senju, contemplating whether or not the stability of the 'Senju's property', seeing as the village neglected the role of Uchiha Madara, was a priority.

Itachi got a hold of himself and made his choice, a lone tear leaking out of his right eye.

"And Okaa-san just had my health fixed too..." To say that Itachi was ashamed of his decision would be an understatement. "Damn it, why is there no other way?!" Itachi asked no one in particular.

"Life is not fair boy." Behind Itachi, a presence made itself known to answer the Uchiha’s question, the Anbu Captain not doing anything as the 'threat' was not such.

"Madara." Itachi greeted without turning back.

"Greetings Itachi-kun," the man wearing an orange mask said, "I see you have reached your decision...and were logical in your reasoning."

Itachi remained silent, not feeling up to having a conversation.

With a sigh, 'Madara' gave some parting words, "You chose the best option Itachi... I'll see you soon." In a swirl, the man was now gone.

Itachi just sitting and observing the village. "One step at a time, I suppose..." Itachi mused out loud before returning to his activity.

=====OFR=====
A Mansion in a Valley - Unknown Location

"It's time." Black Zetsu spoke as he stood in front of Madara attached to his counterpart, coming up and out of the wooden floor.

"I pity the boy a little, about to lose his world in the blink of an eye." Madara said, his appearance signifying him to be in his 20s. He wore a blue robe with the Uchiha symbol on its back and was sitting on a seat, a brief dead look in his eyes which vanished in moments; Madara wasn’t inhumane, he did care a little of his direct kin…but just a little, he didn’t see the boy for himself after all; the youngster was akin to a complete stranger to him.

"But won't this make your job easier?" White Zetsu asked, slightly confused.

"The boy is my descendant after all." With that Madara stood up and walked over to the window, thinking of his plan of action in the near future, all while looking at the scenery, one absent thought crossing his mind, 'Just weeks left, hm?'

=====OFR=====
Time Skip - Two weeks
Streets - Konoha

It was night time; our main cast spent time with their Academy classmates and held a makeshift party. Naruto could honestly say he enjoyed the experience, his carefree actions showed how much so.

Naruto had gotten much better over the time that had passed; he was even on better terms with his classmates. Currently, he was getting out of the Ichiraku Ramen Stand with Nana Mea, Kiba, Shikamaru, Choji and Ino. Sasuke had gone someplace else with a teacher and had been left out.

"Come back again!" Ayame said in excitement, the past time was made quite cheerful by the children.

"See ya." Naruto and Kiba replied in unison, chuckling as they walked back home with everyone.

=====OFR=====
Uchiha Clan Compound - Konoha

The scene was like every other normal night. The full moon shone above the compound as a gentle, cool breeze carried forth leaves with it. Shops were closed, people generally in their homes, a few walking on the fairly empty streets.

The first to fall.

Itachi, in his Anbu attire thought this as he glanced over at the compound from a tall post. He felt guilty, like a cold criminal... Ironic really, this was the first time this had happened and he had wartime experience in massacres.

Itachi vanished in a blur of speed and dashed from one end of the only occupied street to the other, no one noticing his presence due to the swiftness of the action, a comparatively faster wind blowing due to the action.

Itachi however re-sheathed his Tanto, all the people in the street were either decapitated or had deep gashes on their chests, hearts cut in two; a bloodbath that was not seen in times other than in war.

Not taking any time to be remorseful for the betrayal to his kin, Itachi sped on to the most isolated houses, killing every resident mercilessly and without notice; many dying in their sleep.

'Strange,' thought Itachi, ‘There are a lot of people I haven’t visited, already dead in the most convenient way... It's almost as if...' His eyes widened slightly as he realized what happened, 'I shouldn't be surprised, the masked man must have done this.'

Deciding to cash in on the edge he was provided with, Itachi proceeded to kill off every member of the Uchiha clan remorselessly and efficiently, until only the clan head's residence was left.

=====OFR=====
Streets - Konoha

Naruto was walking alone towards his home, Nana and Mea not with him due to using the Shunshin (Body Flicker) to travel home. Naruto insisted that he wanted some fresh air and the girls did not see anything wrong in leaving him to walk alone, going early to have some small remaining chores finished.

Having decided to take an alternate route, Naruto was walking in front of the Uchiha Clan Compound. All seemed normal from afar; just that he didn't sense any Chakra signatures in the closest houses.

Curiosity now piqued, Naruto decided to walk into the Clan grounds for once for a quick check.

A bit of a mistake, quite a big one really.

Naruto was greeted with the sight of carnage on scales that he never imagined possible. Looking around, he saw only death and despair, the blood painted walls and streets leaving a big impression. Feeling a sense of worry, Naruto rushed over to the clan head's residence.

=====OFR=====
Uchiha Clan Head's Residence - Konoha

"So you choose the village, son? That's quite alright; you are allowed to make your own choices after all." Uchiha Fugaku spoke with a firm tone as he sat on his knees, his wife sitting similarly beside him. "I only hoped you could see what they really are."

"I know Otou-san, but the younger generation is showing great promise." Standing behind his father, Itachi had his Tanto drawn and held with both hands, it was shaking. "Forgive me, this is what needs to be done."

"I already have." Fugaku smiled as he accepted his fate, "I hope those who you protect now do not make you regret your choice.” Fugaku sighed briefly before facing Itachi with a warm, caring smile. “I'm proud of you, Uchiha Itachi. Make the Uchiha name proud as you live on."

A tear leaked out of Itachi's right eye, "You really are kind." Itachi steeled himself and in one fluid motion, ended the elder Uchiha male's life; the blood spread as it leaked out in a burst, falling on Itachi, Mikoto and obviously the sword and floor.

Mikoto remained expressionless as the events unfolded, not knowing what to feel. Things were happening a little too fast, no matter how much she was expecting this.

Itachi then turned to his mother as tears freely escaped his eyes. "I-I..."

Mikoto stood up and walked over to Itachi. Looking him in the eye she whispered, "You poor little thing, it's going to be all fine." She beamed at her son, hugging him gently.

This only made things worse for Itachi but he managed to get a hold of himself. He stuttered out, "M-Mother... I don't..."

"Now, now, get a hold of yourself." Mikoto consoled Itachi a little as she let him out of the embrace. "Forgive me, my son, but..."

Itachi suddenly widened his eyes as he envisioned a scene from the past, when he was five years old. Mikoto crouched down and beamed at her son, poking him on the forehead with her index and middle fingers, "Forgive me Itachi..." Just, instead of 'Maybe next time', he got...

"This is the last time." Mikoto, with blood marring her face, was smiling warmly as she poked Itachi's forehead.

Itachi was overwhelmed with emotions but he no longer cried, his heart just ached…a lot. He slowly lifted his sword, guided a little by his mother’s hand as it rose, to impale his mother and thrusted forward...

... And the Tanto pierced Naruto's chest.

The boy was there in a way that will later be explained... Cliffhanger...

I hope this was appropriate because I certainly felt it was... Please don't look to murder me... I know this is short, especially after such a long break, but once again, I think this to be a good end.

Anyway, that's it for this chapter and like I said before, I'll be updating on a convenience based time table and will try my best to have the next one up in a month... Yeah, not some weeks, sorry.

I really appreciate the support but writing is a hobby after all and I need to pay attention to real life too, that's something that needs more and more attention these days. I'm really sorry for disappointing all you guys for not uploading for two months; I hope you’ll still stick with me.

Until next time,
Read and review.

Michael92

Legendary
Kin
13,586💸
Kumi
74,671💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Introductory notes were probably aimed at FF net readers, but I like your dedication.

First of all, seems like you've taken a moment to slow things down. I suppose that is both good and bad. Good is that you get to sort of make a new start from where you left off, being that it's been a while since the last release, the bad, is that it stalls the story even further. It's not exactly an unique scene, and even though it is fresh, it's still with "the same" characters. Like I mentioned in past reviews, doing same scenes or concepts over and over again with little new doesn't help bring the story forward much. I get why you did it though.

I must be losing my mind because the following part:

"Sitting behind Naruto, Kiba could not help but crack a joke at Naruto's absence, "Hey Naruto, you alright mate? Did you get taken care of? Oh wait, there's no one to do it!" The feral looking boy chuckled as he gave the remark.

Naruto looked down for a second, Shisui's face coming into mind. He was tempted to use his Sharingan and take out his stress on Kiba but restrained himself, allowing himself to look at Kiba with a noticeable touch of sadness betraying his expression; Naruto was a mere child who was going through depression after all. And who could expect him to be headstrong? He wasn’t even ten.

Kiba suddenly noticed he had either offended the blond or mocked him about something serious, probably both, so wasted no time in apologizing, his tone sincere, "Sorry man, I didn't think you'd take it to heart."

Naruto nodded, smiling ever so slightly knowing that Kiba, while brash and crude, was an innocent boy at heart, 'I guess not everyone here is bad... Is that what you wanted to protect, Shisu-nii?'

Kiba was taken aback, never once had Naruto smiled in class and here he was, smiling at the one everyone thought the blond hated. Grinning back, Kiba leaned forward and on his table extending a hand towards the, unbeknownst to him, grieving boy, "Friends...?"

It was Naruto's turn to get a surprise, however he kept himself and proceeded to shake the Inuzuka's hand, moving himself to facilitate his action, "Associates, friendship is something special for me...do understand." In his mind Naruto thought, 'One step at a time... Maybe there's still hope in being united with these people.'

"Look at you trying to act cool and all. Chill out a little, won't you?" Kiba then pulled away his hand and moved back into his seat.

"Heh." Naruto then proceeded to pay attention to Iruka, who miraculously did not notice the exchange happening right under his nose; going on about how a Katana was not the only type of sword that was forged."

I've definitely read that one before, the only question is where? Did you preview it?

Anyways, the style and the format is starting to sit more tightly than before, which I like. Also the structure is well done, so creds to that. Things were going as expected until the cliffhanger. It felt a bit rushed though, but I suppose it was fine. It was a bit abrupt as it could have been more smoother, but overall decent enough with the length of the chapter in mind.

I suppose this is the first of many deaths for Naruto, though didn't think it would come so soon with the pacing so far.
Madara's appearance was cool, although I must still stand with my opinion that I think this FanFic is a few years too late xd Especially with your time-frame and busy schedule in mind. It would benefit you so much if you could actually find a way to divide your stories up in sequels, like having the "first story" end soon with an open ending (like I ended my first work), and then come back later with a follow up (which also gives you room to write ahead without the "need" to keep up the flow of releases). Just my two cents.

The thing you mentioned in the intro about first chapters being perfect is important as no one will care about later ones... I agree but at the same time, don't sacrifice the future for the past, meaning, don't dwell too much in the past or you'll probably end up losing people's interest. People don't want to re-read stuff they already have read, new content should always be prioritized. Also, writing is about adapting and improving along the way. If what you said was true, my first work would have been a commercial failure, and readers like Trea wouldn't have bothered catching up with my later works based on the quality of my first work alone.

Oh, and the only grammar part I could find:

"After his collapsing the previous day, Naruto had been set on bed to rest by those who remained. The girls had dinner with their mother figure, who left for her home in about an hour of chatting...gossiping." - "after."

8/10.

Kuroi Honoo

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Thanks for giving your reasonings into the delay ands also a little bit into what you have in store for the future ^^

It was nice to see Naruto actually showing a little more interest in the academia even if only to get on Iruka’s good side. I liked how Kiba was being his playful self by joking around lol It was cool how Kiba not only made up with Naruto but declared friendship with him :) Poor Itachi always having to deal with hardships he shouldn’t be. I’m not surprised Sasuke wasn’t with the youngster crowd XD I liked that Naruto was showing signs of healing as well as getting along with his classmates ^^ I found it very interesting that “Madara” took part in the clan massacre. So Sasuke and Naruto’s roles were reversed here, having Naruto being the one to first encounter the slaughter. This slaughter was really sad and I could feel the emotion coming out of Itachi and his parents. I didn’t expect for Naruto to interfere and receive the blow intended for Mikoto.

This was indeed a cliffhanger and I’m eager to find out how this night ends! Great comeback bro! ;)