Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Has anyone ever wondered why Ghouls can drink coffee?
Ghoul Researcher Ogura Hisashi aka Charles Darwin of ghouls:
You must be registered for see images

Gives us insight on some ghoul metabolism physiology:
- - - -

So they're inability to eat regular food is not due to a lack of digestive enzymes (an example being lactose intolerance caused by lack of lactase), but because of the presence of a certain enzyme.
Also note-
Neither can they absorb sugar:

And to mitigate hunger, Yoshimura crafts these "coffee" cubes to help Kaneki adjust.

So why is coffee the exception?
Is it the caffeine? The flavanols? Maybe it's the appetite suppressant (anoretic) properties?
If so, they should be able to drink various light teas, ginger, mints.

Or maybe, like lactose intolerance, it's caused by a mutation. Perhaps spontaneous evolution facilitated by cannibalism?
What or when could this mutation have adapted?
The earliest noted history of ghouls in the manga is 1890.
:re chapter 14

This correlates with the introduction of coffee in Japan-> late 1800's

History of Coffee in Japan
1858 - free trade began, official import of coffee began
1869 - first printed advertisement of coffee in Yokohama
1878 - first attempt to cultivate plants that yield coffee beans
1888 - first class European cafe "可否茶館 (Kahi Chakan)" opened in Tokyo (closed in four years)
-CCG founded in 1890
-first coffee shop in Japan gets closed after four years (1888-1892)

I'm onto you, Ishida.

Keep in mind that humans and ghouls can (although difficult) mate (ie. Kuzen->Eto or Nishiki+Kimi) so a common ancestor or similar lineage is obvious. Possibly analogous to the relationship between Neanderthals and Homo sapiens?

It's been reported that Humans and Neanderthals committed cannibalism:

Neanderthals suffered periods of starvation and may have supplemented their diet through cannibalism, according to a study of remains from northwest Spain.
The skulls had also been split so the brains and tongues of their human prey could be consumed.
Researchers found cut marks and evidence that bones had been torn apart, which they say could indicate cannibalism.
"There is strong evidence suggesting that these Neanderthals were eaten," said the study's lead author, Antonio Rosas of the Museo Nacional de Ciencias Naturales in Madrid. "That is, long bones and the skull were broken for extraction of the marrow, [which] is very nutritious."
Through genomic studies, it's observed that we contain roughly 20% Neanderthal DNA~this varies from location:

They still managed to identify fragments that collectively amount to 20 percent of the full Neanderthal genome.
Note the genetic traits acquired/shared with Neanderthals:
For example, the Neanderthal version of the skin gene POU2F3 is found in around 66 percent of East Asians, while the Neanderthal version of BNC2, which affects skin color, among other traits, is found in 70 percent of Europeans.
Neanderthals <Homo Sapiens
Homo Sapiens < Homo Ghoulus

Watch out, Humans.

Extra note: Origins of coffee and ancient uses:
On coffee and humans:
"Coffee comes from East Africa, and so do we. We may not have been roasting coffee beans for two hundred thousand years,
but we were certainly eating the fruit. We were probably also chewing the leaves. In all likelihood, we’ve been consuming
caffeine on a more or less regular basis for the majority of our evolutionary history, probably for millions of years."
so,
After scrupulous meta-data and peer reviewed research, I have arrived to this conclusion:

Back into the bird cage.

Bonus:
Ishida's mirror
Chapter 2

Chapter 2 :re

Last edited:

chopstickchakra

Legendary
Kin
4,684💸
Kumi
129💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Has anyone ever wondered why Ghouls can drink coffee?
Ghoul Researcher Ogura Hisashi aka Charles Darwin of ghouls:

Gives us insight on some ghoul metabolism physiology:
- - - -

So they're inability to eat regular food is not due to a lack of digestive enzymes (an example being lactose intolerance caused by lack of lactase), but because of the presence of a certain enzyme.
Also note-
Neither can they absorb sugar:

And to mitigate hunger, Yoshimura crafts these "coffee" cubes to help Kaneki adjust.

So why is coffee the exception?
Is it the caffeine? The flavanols? Maybe it's the appetite suppressant (anoretic) properties?
If so, they should be able to drink various light teas, ginger, mints.

Or maybe, like lactose intolerance, it's caused by a mutation. Perhaps spontaneous evolution facilitated by cannibalism?
What or when could this mutation have adapted?
The earliest noted history of ghouls in the manga is 1890.
:re chapter 14

This correlates with the introduction of coffee in Japan-> late 1800's

-CCG founded in 1890
-first coffee shop in Japan gets closed after four years (1888-1892)

I'm onto you, Ishida.

Keep in mind that humans and ghouls can (although difficult) mate (ie. Kuzen->Eto or Nishiki+Kimi) so a common ancestor or similar lineage is obvious. Possibly analogous to the relationship between Neanderthals and Homo sapiens?

It's been reported that Humans and Neanderthals committed cannibalism:

Through genomic studies, it's observed that we contain roughly 20% Neanderthal DNA~this varies from location:

Note the genetic traits acquired/shared with Neanderthals:

Neanderthals <Homo Sapiens
Homo Sapiens < Homo Ghoulus

Watch out, Humans.

Extra note: Origins of coffee and ancient uses:

so,
After scrupulous meta-data and peer reviewed research, I have arrived to this conclusion:

Back into the bird cage.

Bonus:
Ishida's mirror
Chapter 2

Chapter 2 :re
I'm not that up on TG but I'll keep this in mind when I start catching back up. One thing though,

When you said "The earliest noted history of ghouls in the manga is 1890." That's not entirely accurate. The manga says Ghouls existed befor 1890 but how much so is unknown. If you re-read that passage, "Proud for being the strongest Ghoul exterminators.... in 1890 the CGI was opened by the head of the Washuu family." This means that Ghouls existed prior and for long enough for the Washuu family to gain dominance over other Ghoul killing families. According to your history of Coffee they probably first appeared in the 50s not the 90s.

Agent Phrank

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I didn't got your conclusion, but theory is nice.........
It's from a 70's movie- there's this company - Soylent Green- that manufactures their food from people.
"You gotta tell 'em, Soylent Green is people! Soylent Green is people!"
Never watched it myself but I think that's the premise of it.
Now imagine they started making coffee for ghouls, it would somewhat explain why they can drink coffee.
Hope that clears that.

I'm not that up on TG but I'll keep this in mind when I start catching back up. One thing though,

When you said "The earliest noted history of ghouls in the manga is 1890." That's not entirely accurate. The manga says Ghouls existed befor 1890 but how much so is unknown. If you re-read that passage, "Proud for being the strongest Ghoul exterminators.... in 1890 the CGI was opened by the head of the Washuu family." This means that Ghouls existed prior and for long enough for the Washuu family to gain dominance over other Ghoul killing families. According to your history of Coffee they probably first appeared in the 50s not the 90s.
Notice I said
So yes, good point
- Earliest recorded human history is from Sumerian texts (I think); That doesn't mean that humans didn't exist prior to that.

My original point was regarding the first coffee shop and CCG's conception:
First coffee shop in Japan:
1888-1892
CCG Founded in 1890.

Yes, ghouls existed before that. Yes, prior to opening a coffee shop, coffee trade would obviously have been necessary (1858).

It's an interesting little coincidence whether it's intentional or not; take it with a grain of non-iodized salt.

Last edited: