Legendary
Kin
768💸
Kumi
99💴
Trait Points
50⚔️
*finds a suspicious link on my profile but clicks it anyway*

Alright, lets get started with the orientation. I'm going to guide you through the intricacies of this RP at a gradual pace, starting with the essentials and working up to advanced topics. Maybe there's some aspects of the RP that caught your eye but don't understand them at a glance. While we'll get to everything at some point, i can at least provide a quick summary of some of the topics we'll get to later like the Ninja World and Customs. Do you have any burning questions about the RP you need to get out right now?

Azu

Elite
Kin
279💸
Kumi
114💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
You must be registered for see images

No, I'd rather not ask any questions right now. I like to acquire knowledge in a structured, systematic way so I'd really like to learn all the essential things first and then climb step by step towards more "complicated" issues, if I can say so. As you said, we will eventually cover all the important things, I suppose.

Ushiro

Legendary
Kin
768💸
Kumi
99💴
Trait Points
50⚔️
Then we start with Biographies, aka Bios.

Basic Bio Rules

-Must follow the basic bio template. (Link)
-It is possible to have two (or three if Jounin-rank) bios approved at any one time.
-Once a bio has been approved, it cannot be edited by the member.
-Once a bio has been approved, it cannot be dropped or switched for one month.

There are two types of Bios: Canon and Custom.

Canon Bios:

Characters that originate from official Naruto media (Ex. Boruto Uzumaki, Sasuke Uchiha) Some canon bios have access to unique jutsu and traits inaccessible to custom bios. The downside is they cannot be customized as freely.

Bio Skins:

These can be applied to any canon bio in order to make them partially custom. Everything, minus the bio's core abilities and restrictions can be altered to suit your own personal preferences.

Example: A bio skin for Tsunade Senju would include a custom name, looks, personality, and history. But it wouldn't include AN, modes, or canon contracts (other than slugs) since this particular canon bio does not ordinarily allow for such things. Still, it would retain all abilities intrinsic to the bio.

When using bio skins, which canon bio is serving as the basis must be clearly stated.

Custom Bios:

Characters derived from other series or media or made entirely from scratch. However, regardless of the source, the details of any custom bio must be tailored to fit the RP. While custom bios are barred from certain things exclusive to cannon bios, they offer a wider range of possibilities.

Examples: Ichigo Kurosaki (Bleach), Izuku Midoriya (My Hero Academia), Luffy D. Monkey (One Piece)

Abilities:

A wide variety of abilities can be paired together in a single bio but there are limitations. (Ex. Sharingan, Storm Release, Fuuinjutsu)
-Links: Ability List / Combination Guide

Specialties:

Specialized traits that grant bios new or improved capabilities. (Ex. Less handseals, Increased speed, etc)
-Link: Specialties

I can explain more about Abilities and Specialties later. Is there anything you have questions about?

Azu

Elite
Kin
279💸
Kumi
114💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I´ll ask questions following your sectioning for the sake of being transparent.

Basic Bio Rules
Basic Bio Template
1. Is it obligatory to belong to a particular clan?
2. If you showed me the map with all the countries (lands, kingdoms, empires), cities, towns, villages and other places of importance for the RP would it be completely equivalent with the world in which Naruto (manga) is happening? I need to know the setting and time in order to place my character in this story.
3. By default, my rank is the academy student and I am the one who picks 2 basic elements and 1 basic ninja skill to have or is that also arranged by default?

Cannon Bio
1. You stated that cannon bios can not be customized AS FREELY. Does that implies that they can be customized in some way then? Elaborate and provide examples, please.

Bio Skins
1. What are bio's core abilities?
2. What is AN?
3. What are modes?
4. With bio skins you are just changing a cannon character with a custom character while all the abilities of the cannon character remain, correct?

Custom Bio
1. Can a custom bio have abilities of a cannon bio? Where are the limits here? Say can Todoroki Shouto (BNHA) have Haku´s kekkei genkai?

You may move on to the next segment.

Ushiro

Legendary
Kin
768💸
Kumi
99💴
Trait Points
50⚔️
1. Is it obligatory to belong to a particular clan?
No, unless your character belongs to a canon clan like Uchiha or a CC (custom clan) like Nekura.
2. If you showed me the map with all the countries (lands, kingdoms, empires), cities, towns, villages and other places of importance for the RP would it be completely equivalent with the world in which Naruto (manga) is happening? I need to know the setting and time in order to place my character in this story.
The WSE (warring states era) of the Ninja World does not follow the same timeline as the Naruto manga. In fact, the only thing it has in common with events in Naruto is the appearance of the Sage of Six Paths. The NW currently takes place several hundred years since then. Here’s a Map of the NW and its Lore. I won't get into how the NW works just yet.
3. By default, my rank is the academy student and I am the one who picks 2 basic elements and 1 basic ninja skill to have or is that also arranged by default?
Yes, your rank is academy student and you can choose which elements or skills you want. I’ll go over that soon.

1. You stated that cannon bios can not be customized AS FREELY. Does that implies that they can be customized in some way then? Elaborate and provide examples, please.
Aside from KG, HA, AN, AE, and Modes, the abilities canon and customs bios can have are generally the same. I'm talking about basic fields like Genjutsu, universal abilities you can buy like Fuuinjutsu (Sealing Techniques), or custom fields like CE (Custom Elements) or CFS (Custom Fighting Styles). I plan on explaining these more thoroughly later. Here is a full list of abilities: Link

1. What are bio's core abilities?
Those mentioned in that character's rules thread. Also found in the abilities list.
2. What is AN?
Advanced Ninjutsu. Self-explanatory. Ex. Sound Ninjutsu, Puppetry, Ink Ninjutsu, etc.
3. What are modes?
Something like a temporary boost that gives powerful stat boosts like extra speed or strength. This is about canon modes. Ex. Sage mode, EIG (eight inner gates), CM (Curse Mark).
4. With bio skins you are just changing a cannon character with a custom character while all the abilities of the cannon character remain, correct?
Correct.
1. Can a custom bio have abilities of a cannon bio? Where are the limits here? Say can Todoroki Shouto (BNHA) have Haku´s kekkei genkai?
Yes. Haku's KG is not limited to just him. There are several abilities shown by one character that are available to custom bios but there are also jutsu exclusive to certain characters. For example, Sand Ninjutsu is not limited to just Gaara but his Shield of Sand and Sand Waterfall Funeral are unique to him. Haku's jutsu don't get the same treatment apparently because any Ice user can use his Crystal Ice Mirrors.

Moving on to what jutsu are available to you at your rank. At Academy Student rank you have access to C Rank Jutsu, 2 Basic Elements, and 1 Basic Ninja Skill. I'll elaborate. (More information on )

C Rank Jutsu
-Jutsu ranks from lowest to highest: E < D < C < B < A < S < F
-You have access to E, D, and C rank jutsu you’ve learned or created.

2 Basic Elements
-Basic Elements: Fire (Katon), Water (Suiton), Earth (Doton), Lightning (Raiton), Wind (Fuuton)
-You can pick two elements to include in your bio and use jutsu from each element up to the rank your battle rank allows (C)

1 Basic Ninja Skill
-Basic Ninja Skills: Ninjutsu, Genjutsu, Taijutsu, Kenjutsu
-You can pick one ninja skill to include in your bio and use jutsu from each element up to the rank your battle rank allows (C)
-Whether you pick Ninjutsu or not, you always have access to certain E-rank Ninjutsu. I think they are mentioned in the bio template.

Usually you need to be trained in jutsu in order to use them but basic fields like the five elements and ninja skills are learned automatically so you can use jutsu in the fields you've chosen up to C rank without training in them. I’ll go over training later. You can find jutsu listed in the section. A Method System thread exists for each of the basic fields that provides explanations on how those jutsu work.

Azu

Elite
Kin
279💸
Kumi
114💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Just two short questions before we continue:

1. Can I create custom jutsu with my current rank?
2. Can I mix my 2 basic elements to create custom jutsu?

Ushiro

Legendary
Kin
768💸
Kumi
99💴
Trait Points
50⚔️
1. Custom jutsu can be submitted at any rank but only up to the rank you are currently at in the field. For example, if you've only learned genjutsu up to C rank you can submit C rank and lower genjutsu but not B rank. I wouldn't worry about customs too soon. Here's a link to a full guide on Custom Jutsu that i will get to later.
2. Yes. That would be a multi-elemental jutsu. Its nothing like how Advanced Elements like Lava simultaneously mix earth and fire. The result is a jutsu that just happens to include more than one element.

Moving on to Basic Battle Rules

Jutsu Limit

You can use three (3) jutsu each turn, not including passively activated techniques ( Jutsu that do not count towards this limit and are noted in the jutsu ). Battles are turn based; you post your moves, then your opponent posts his moves in response. Depending on how your opponent responds, not all three of your jutsu will go through.

Blocking & Avoiding Jutsu

You cannot just say "I block the attack", you have to describe exactly how you block or dodge it as jutsu can be used in different ways. Neither can you just avoid by saying stuff in the nature of "I move to the left", you need to use a tech of your own to do that if needed and/or Taijutsu if applicable against related attacks.

Freeform (any non-jutsu action like running, using ninja tools, etc) can be blocked or dodged using freeform if feasible. Got a shuriken coming at you? It is perfectly acceptable to intercept it with your own shuriken or just dodge it.

Time Frame Rule

This rule tends to give people the most trouble. It is summed up like this: The first offensive action the opponent takes each turn must happen before you are able to act against it. This is important as it provides a basis for the chronology of the moves used, creating the time frame of the battle. When it concerns just Jutsu, it's easy to understand, however it becomes a bit more difficult when it comes to Freeform Actions like throwing kunais or smoke bombs. In this case, the grabbing and launching of the kunai is the first offensive action and must take place before the user can counter it.

Note that molding chakra triggers the beginning of the fight but DOES NOT mean that you can stop that from happening; It means that you can start "acting" from that point on. Acting, as in, molding your chakra, taking a stance, etc etc if you are able to detect the opponent molding chakra through sensory type jutsu such as Sharingan and Sensory techniques. This doesn't mean that you can finish a technique before your opponent finishes his, just that the time frame itself starts at this point.

Azu

Elite
Kin
279💸
Kumi
114💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
1. Is it possible to never have a battle in RP and still somehow level up?
2. Basically, time frame: When you are writing a move it can not be a finished move, more like, it´s in the process, so you are leaving space for the opponent to react?

Reactions: Vex

Ushiro

Legendary
Kin
768💸
Kumi
99💴
Trait Points
50⚔️
1. Yes, actually. You can also complete Missions in the Ninja World and submit those instead of battles, or a combination of both. As an academy student, in order to rank up to Genin you'll need to complete 4 D/C-rank missions and/or battles.

2. I think you have the right idea. It's not guaranteed that your entire move will happen. Your opponent could still respond in a way that may require you to defend against an attack or choose a different course of action. I'll be elaborating a little more on timeframe later on.

Now we’ll be getting into the setup for a battle in the Battle Arena. Before a battle actually begins, all participants must agree on the rules.

Terrain: Where will the battle take place? May include features like weather and time of day. The terrain is not set in stone as it can be altered through the use of jutsu.

Range: The distance between you and your opponent. Short ( 0 to 5 meters ) , medium ( 5 to 15 meters ) or long range from each other ( 15+ meters )?

Element & Jutsu Usage: You can choose which and how many elements you want to use in a battle (from the ones you learned), but also whether custom jutsu's/elements are allowed or not.

Type of Battle: Choose the type of battle you want. No restrictions, taijutsu battle, ninjutsu only battle, team battle, etc.

Bio: Agree on which bio each participant uses.

Once the battle rules are in place and you’ve decided who starts, the fight can begin and play out according to the basic rules i explained earlier. I suggest reading the first few posts in some battle arena threads to get a good idea of how fights start. Here’s some more information you should know regarding battles.

Official Battles:

All battles held in the Battle Arena or Ninja World forums are, by default, official fights. That means these fights can be used for any and all official purposes such as Kumi Collection, Vessels, and more. I’ll cover these later. Only when it was agreed at the start that it was just an unofficial spar, it doesn't count as an official battle.

Disagreements:

If you have a problem your opponent's usage of a jutsu, first talk to them to resolve it. If you can't come to an agreement, you are able to reach out to an Official Sensei to rule on the issue. Should your opponent disagree over the ruling, they are allowed one opportunity to contact a second Sensei to make a ruling. If these rulings differ, an RP Moderator will make a final decision. These rulings can only be done three (3) times a battle.

Azu

Elite
Kin
279💸
Kumi
114💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
1. Regarding my previous question about battles and ranking up: I am aware of the mission system in RP but I had impression that missions are basically battles just within a particular set-up. I am not quite on track with this, am I?

2. Is the chosen terrain like any random place (e.g. description: forest) or does it need to be actually placed somewhere within the RP world with detailed description of surroundings, place that has its spot on the map?

3. With official fights you can gain access to benefits if you win I suppose but if you don't win are you losing something? Is that the reason why there are official and unofficial battles?

4. These disagreement are quite a thing in RP, aren't they? Approximately how many official battles are done from beginning to end without any disagreements?

5. Is it OK for me to ask someone experienced to have a battle with me to kind of get the idea of this battle thing while the orientation is still going on?

Edit: Please, continue with the next segment.

Ushiro

Legendary
Kin
768💸
Kumi
99💴
Trait Points
50⚔️
1. Missions don't necessarily involve fighting. They can be about anything since you're the one who decides what they are. They aren't like missions in Naruto assigned by someone else (Most of the time anyway) I'd describe them as a way to monetize your achievements in the NW. It'll probably make more sense once explain what the NW is.
2. The terrain can be anywhere with any level of description you want. A common terrain description is "a plain field" which is just that, a flat area with nothing but grass and dirt.
3. There's nothing to lose by losing an official fight. Only in special cases where Kumi is wagered or when fighting for certain abilities that are limited in number like a SSM (Seven Swordsman) Sword or a Jinchurikki bio.
4. Unlike in a video game, finding out who wins in an imaginary fight isn't so clear cut. Disagreements can happen but they aren't unavoidable. I'd say most fights finish without any Sensei getting involved.
5. Of course. I can have a battle with you if you want. I still have a couple battle related topics to cover but those can be learned during practice too.

Here's a example of how a fight starts. Let’s say you want to make battle thread that’s open to anyone. The title isn’t particularly important but it could help differentiate whether the fight is closed (when you’ve already decided who you’re fighting) or open. The first post might look like this:

LoK’s R&R
No customs
A grassy field with a lake nearby
Mid range
Using ???? bio (include a link if its not in your signature)

No set format exists for stating the rules of the fight. After your opponent posts their bio the fight can start. Ninja A starts by making a move using up to 3 jutsu. Then Ninja B makes his own move in response to Ninja A’s, using up to 3 jutsu as well. Then Ninja A’s turn comes around again and he responds with another move, and so on until someone wins. Winning an official battle can earn you Kumi and also count toward battles needed to rank up. If you want to up the stakes in your fights you can wager kumi or even customs. Time limits can be added as well to limit the time between posts.

Now i’ll go over in simple terms how timeframe works in battle.

If your move is three jutsu in a row...

Jutsu 1
Jutsu 2
Jutsu 3

And your opponent responds with three jutsu of his own...

Jutsu A
Jutsu B
Jutsu C

If no one’s move was interrupted then the timeframe would look like this:

Jutsu 1
Jutsu A
Jutsu 2
Jutsu B
Jutsu 3
Jutsu C

This is because no matter how fast you might be, you can’t perform two jutsu in a row before your opponent can perform one. So the timeframe would never look like this:

Jutsu 1
Jutsu A
Jutsu B
Jutsu 2

That is, unless you allow your opponent’s techniques to go through without doing anything. Multiple actions can be done in the same timeframe like freeform, passive techniques, and jutsu used by allies (clones, summoning animals, etc). So you could potentially shoot a fireball, throw some kunai, activate a Sharingan, and have a clone of yours shoot a lightning bolt in the same timeframe:

Fireball, Kunai, Sharingan activation, Clone’s lightning
Jutsu A

Does this make sense so far? Next topic will be Elemental Strengths/Weaknesses and Damage.

Last edited:

Azu

Elite
Kin
279💸
Kumi
114💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
1. Having an actual battle would be really helpful. It would be great if you could do it but if you are busy with other RP stuff I can try find someone else. Nevertheless, it´s much appreciated.

2. So, basically how chess party functions. You draw a move, I draw move and so on... Correct?

Yep, everything is clear. You may proceed.

Ushiro

Legendary
Kin
768💸
Kumi
99💴
Trait Points
50⚔️
1. You'd probably be better off finding someone else.
2. Sort of. Read some battles or have battles of your own to get a good idea of it.

Elemental Strengths/Weaknesses

The Five Basic Elements

You must be registered for see images

Basically, Fire is strong against Wind but weak to Water, and neutral to both Earth and Lightning. There are other advanced ninjutsu with their own elemental strengths and weaknesses listed here: In technical terms, when two elements clash, the jutsu with the elemental advantage is treated as being 20 damage points stronger than it actually is. Damage is explained in detail here: . For now, here's an excerpt:

In the case of a difference of 5-10 damage, the stronger Jutsu will suffer a drop by 30 damage.
In the case of a difference of 15-20 damage, the stronger Jutsu will suffer a drop by 20 damage.
In the case of a difference of 25-30 damage, the stronger Jutsu will suffer a drop by 10 damage.
In the case of a difference of 35 or higher damage, the stronger Jutsu will suffer a drop by 0 damage.

I've said before that jutsu ranks go from E to F. The normal damage values are as follows:
E: 10
D: 20
C: 30
B: 40
A: 60
S: 80
F: 90

So, if for example a Water and Fire jutsu clash and they are both A rank, the Water jutsu would overpower the Fire jutsu and continue in a weakened state with the same power as a B rank jutsu. This is because its damage was reduced from 60 to 40. If that weakened jutsu then clashed with a B rank Wind jutsu, both techniques would cancel out because Water is neutral to Wind and both jutsu are equal in strength.

Receiving Damage

In a Battle Arena fight, logic usually dictates whether or not you will die after being hit by a attack. In a normal battle, even low rank jutsu have to potential to kill if used right. Other battles may use the Health System to dictate this: Link

I won't go over the health system right now as it an optional rule in the BA and mandatory in the Ninja World which i'll cover later. I haven't mentioned it till now, but your bio has a set amount of health and chakra based on your rank. As a Genin, your stats are: Base health = 75 / Base chakra = 600. Naturally, receiving damage depletes your health and using jutsu (or being drained of chakra) depletes your chakra. Should either reach zero, you lose.This is why you should keep track of these values during a fight. You can post them with every move but its not required....at least, i don't think it is. >.>

Anyway, that's all for Battling 101! There are a number of topics we can get to now. I'll leave the choice to you.
  • Learning techniques through Training
  • Bio Abilities and how to get them
  • Crafting your adventure in the Ninja World
  • Creating your very own techniques: Customs

Azu

Elite
Kin
279💸
Kumi
114💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Wow, this just gets more and more complicated. Someone should write a history of this RP; Would be interesting to see step by step implementation of all of these things.

All right, you can move on to Learning techniques through Training.

Ushiro

Legendary
Kin
768💸
Kumi
99💴
Trait Points
50⚔️
Sorry for taking so long.

What is Training?

Training takes place in the Training Grounds. This is where you learn to properly use the abilities you’ve acquired and gain access to jutsu. It’s also where you can learn how the RP works like we’re doing now.

Official jutsu (found in the Jutsu section) are not learned by default so you must go through training to learn them. There are exceptions specified by the Head of Training (Detective L) that include Method Training which i’ve talked about before.

Who is Allowed to Teach?

Sensei, distinguished by our orange names, are primarily responsible for training students. We have gone through tests like the official sensei exam to ensure we are knowledgeable enough to fulfill our roles. Until recently we were only able to teach abilities we’ve learned before but now Sensei can teach any ability except a certain few i’m sure are listed somewhere. >.>

Some RP Moderators can teach as well but mainly for fields Sensei can’t.

How To Start Training?

1) Have an approved bio. Also consult the Battle Ranks to check what jutsu ranks you can learn as you may not be able to complete the training until you’ve ranked up.

2) Look for a Sensei. You can find a list of all them on the Official Sensei Table or just find someone online with an orange name. AB’s Discord server is useful for getting in contact with Sensei. There are sections there for new members to find Sensei,

3) Ask the person of who you want training of in a polite and respectful way if he or she can train you. Don't expect an instant reply, be patient.

4) When you have found someone and discussed what you want to learn, you can start training in the Training Grounds section. Once you have created the thread for your training and added the correct prefix (for example, KG for a Kekkei Genkai), usually titled “[Insert Sensei Name Here] Trains [Insert Username Here]” then you may proceed with your training.

Teaching Custom Abilities?

Custom Jutsu, Summons & Fighting Styles:

Members are allowed to teach their own approved custom jutsu's, custom summons and custom fighting styles to anyone that reaches requirements. The amount of people who can learn these customs may vary based on the type of custom it is (see the Customs post of this guide). All of this is done in Custom Grounds.

Custom Elements:

A custom element may only have max two students. The student's name must be placed in the "students i've passed this element to" section of the approved CE submission. This is done on request by an rp mod.

Custom Clan Abilities:

The abilities of a custom clan can only be taught by the original founder of the clan and alternatively by people who have been given the right to do so by the current leader.

I'll go over what these different types of customs are about later. In case you want to learn about certain facets of the RP on your own, there are numerous guides available in the Rules, Guides, and Updates section. The Hitchhiker's Guide is especially useful for new members as it summarizes everything about the Naruto RP in one easily navigable thread. There are three topics left, which should i cover next?