Old or remake

rockleeuchiha

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Should I watch old hxh or the remake? I'm starting it today and I searched up which to watch and it was pretty 50-50. I like that the old one is shorter though but the animation is lacking a bit idk.

chopstickchakra

Legendary
Kin
4,684💸
Kumi
129💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I enjoyed the original as well as the '11. I felt the '11 left out a couple scenes for no real reason but they were good scenes to have(Where Gon met Kite and learned of his father for one) The '11 did go further but the original through the OVA's gets to Greed Island. I'd watch both for the first 10 episodes or so; ep. 1 99 then ep. 1 11 ep. 2 99 ep. 2 11 etc. That will give you the best idea of which you want to continue with. It's interesting to see the different color schemes from 99 and 11 though, which Menchi you guys like better pink hair or blueish green? Machi pink or purple? Hisoka Greenish or reddish?

Last edited:

Byakuren

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I enjoyed the original as well as the '11. I felt the '11 left out a couple scenes for no real reason but they were good scenes to have(Where Gon met Kite and learned of his father for one) The '11 did go further but the original through the OVA's gets to Greed Island. I'd watch both for the first 10 episodes or so; ep. 1 99 then ep. 1 11 ep. 2 99 ep. 2 11 etc. That will give you the best idea of which you want to continue with. It's interesting to see the different color schemes from 99 and 11 though, which Machi you guys like better pink hair or blueish green?
2011, had better VA.

Hexuze

Supreme
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
1999 definitely had better animation. i.e

People have no idea what they're talking about when they say 2011 had better animation than the 1999 version. I guess the updated look and better art is playing with their minds but 1999 wins for the most part.

Everything else the 2011 anime wins but don't sleep on the 1999 version. It's still good. 2011 had less censorship and follows the manga better, like a narrator for example. It did miss out on Gon's flashback at the start but iirc it gets brought up later on, could be wrong on that one.

Start with 2011 version since it's adapted better overall and is more "completed".

Memento Mori

Legendary
Kin
102💸
Kumi
-250💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards

People have no idea what they're talking about when they say 2011 had better animation than the 1999 version. I guess the updated look and better art is playing with their minds but 1999 wins for the most part.

Everything else the 2011 anime wins but don't sleep on the 1999 version. It's still good. 2011 had less censorship and follows the manga better, like a narrator for example. It did miss out on Gon's flashback at the start but iirc it gets brought up later on, could be wrong on that one.

Start with 2011 version since it's adapted better overall and is more "completed".
Yep. 1999 Animation is best in that era. It is still good comparable to animation of some of the animes of this generation tho!. As far as Color Scheme goes....2011 animation is best one for me!.

Hexuze

Supreme
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I enjoyed the original as well as the '11. I felt the '11 left out a couple scenes for no real reason but they were good scenes to have(Where Gon met Kite and learned of his father for one) The '11 did go further but the original through the OVA's gets to Greed Island. I'd watch both for the first 10 episodes or so; ep. 1 99 then ep. 1 11 ep. 2 99 ep. 2 11 etc. That will give you the best idea of which you want to continue with. It's interesting to see the different color schemes from 99 and 11 though, which Menchi you guys like better pink hair or blueish green? Machi pink or purple? Hisoka Greenish or reddish?
Machi looked good in both colors but I prefer the blueish/purple. It looks better IMO
You must be registered for see images

As for Hisoka, I liked the 2011 version more.

Tantalus Thief

Elite
Kin
385💸
Kumi
36💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

But 2011 was superior in some fights like Kurapika vs Uvogin, the GI fights, the boys vs Netero. Regarding the Gon vs Hisoka fight, they're both good 1999 had better camera angles but I perfered how 2011 animated it. When Gon was pounding Hisoka I really liked the sweat drops effects 99 did. But 2011 did the orgasm and beatdown better. Regarding Chrollo vs Zoldycks, I think the 99 had better better flow in the first part of the fight (when it leads to Chrollo's knife).
Which version do you think had the better ost? I personally enjoyed the 99 music more.
OP: i'd stick with remake. .

Hexuze

Supreme
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
But 2011 was superior in some fights like Kurapika vs Uvogin, the GI fights, the boys vs Netero. Regarding the Gon vs Hisoka fight, they're both good 1999 had better camera angles but I perfered how 2011 animated it. When Gon was pounding Hisoka I really liked the sweat drops effects 99 did. But 2011 did the orgasm and beatdown better. Regarding Chrollo vs Zoldycks, I think the 99 had better better flow in the first part of the fight (when it leads to Chrollo's knife).
Which version do you think had the better ost? I personally enjoyed the 99 music more.
OP: i'd stick with remake. .
Not all of the animation of 1999 was superior than 2011 but I would say for the most part 1999 did better. Yep, Kurapika vs Uvogin was better in the 2011 version IMO overall. The OP saying the animation is lacking a bit in the 1999 version is false. If anything, I would say the animation was sometimes lacking in 2011 more so than in 1999.

I liked the OST's more in 2011 tbh. The OST's were done really well especially in Chimera Ant arc and overall it had great soundtracks to get by the scenes with heavy exposition or narration.