2,318💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Of Tales and Tastes
The Candymaker

You must be registered for see images

Chapter 8

With the night’s chill also came the people’s worries, and multitude of flavors populated the air. The Candymaker took a deep breath, before settling on a known taste, its target. The man’s nervousness was palpable. Inside their bedrooms, all Kaguya lose their stiff masks, and the ivory-skinned man’s vulnerability sent its taste buds alight. The Candymaker closed its hands together, focusing chakra on the oblivious Kaguya, and quickly the air was filled with his confusion and rage. It was almost too easy.

But the bone warrior was a tremendous adversary. Even lost in the Candymaker’s dominion, after many sessions of his attack, he was not completely broken. His torso exploded into several sharp bones as the Candymaker dropped down from the night’s window. But it was no use. A second layer of flavor filled the air around the shaken warrior, as the man dropped on his knees. It was lust. Something he was unaware, something he had repressed, something… As the Candymaker approached him, he voiced only a weak murmur: What is this I taste…? The Candymaker whispered in his ear, as the Kaguya dropped unconscious and subdued: It was the taste of Hozuki Milia.

The roof of the building was made entirely by bone, and even in the cold of the night, it felt warm to the touch. Milia was sitting on the ledge of the rooftop, overlooking the dark city. While the ugly bone temple was sitting in a clearing of the mist, the rest of the village was not. Yet above the buildings, the mist did not seem so thick. The streets were spotted by blurred torches, small dots of lightning amidst the fog. That is where Nala found her.

“Excellent show, Milia”

“I don’t know ‘bout that”

“Why not? They’re a bunch of old geezers anyway”

Milia turned her head to meet her eyes.

“But they keep their clan well. Look what ours’ turn to…”

“It was to be expected. It was a great change”

“But was it for the best?”

“Of course, Hozuki Ayu was-”

“-a misogyniszic pig, I know.”

“Misogynistic.”

Milia stood up, suddenly enraged.

“Sorry if I’m not pronouncing yer fancy words right. My clan, under my rule, is falling apart. Men an’ women’re fightning. Marriages broken. Everythin’s turned by its fishtail, and ye’re battin’ yer eye to handsome Temujin Otaghen.”

Nala flinted her eyes at the mention of the Settlement leader, yet ignored it.

“And isn’t that good? Women are taking what they’re due. Even the greatest fish needs to have its bad scales removed before you can enjoy it. What you did was a good thing, and we’re all grateful for that.”

Milia didn’t say a word for a while. When she did, it was not what was expected.

“The Candymaker’s human.”

“A demon.”

“Didn’t say he was no demon. But he’s human alright. He spoke to me. He ordered me to become the Hozuki leader after I killed Ayu, he ordered me to incriminate the Kaguya.”

“The pig and the savages. Maybe he’s not so bad after all” Nala joked.

Milia snapped at her quickly, standing up to meet Nala’s eyes, her glare serious and angry.

“He’s evil. I was completely powerless against him. Felt like a frog in front of a waterfall. He had his eyes wrapped in bloody bandages, and his mouth wide open, yet it’s like he looked right into my core. Like he controlled what I was feeling. But worse, it’s like he was forcing my feelings. Like they’re put in my head, but they were not mine. It was scary as a demon.”

Nala’s mask almost gave in, as a smile flashed through her mind, yet her expression was ominous. Milia was scared to death of the Candymaker. But her smile was short-lived. Milia dropped her eyes, but what she said sank heavier than any anchor.

“It’s not only that, though… This whole situation’s fishy”

“What do you mean…?”

“Oh I’m not smart like ye, but I’m not dim. Everyone’s actin’ strange. We call the Kaguya savages, but that’s before.

They’re not savages now. They’re organized and they don’t get anyone inside this pretty little town of theirs, and drown me now, but they don’t snap out like a biting dogfish, especially not Kemono. “

“You did provoke him…”

“Oh deeps with ye! It’s not that. It’s these deaths. It’s the damn Candymaker. Even Ayu was acting crazier than normal, and that’s away before I started provokin’ them. The only one who hasn’t been actin’ strange is-“

And right then, as if he had known, Nala felt a sweet taste in her mouth. But she did not waste time, she already had her instructions, and this was the signal.

“Milia…”

As Milia turned around. In the shadow-most part of the rooftop, it stood a tall and broad silhouette, with a smirk gashed right in its face. Mirroring her, Nala brought forth a kunai . And it all quickly came down to them. The shouting, the torches. Over the rooftops, across the streets, several people were gathering, looking for the beast of the mist. But it was right in front of them.

As it stepped into the torchlight, the Candymaker stood tall. Its smirk was not amused, it was a cold smile. And, as if on cue, fear washed over her, leaving a foul and threatening taste in her mouth. It was bitter and sour, immediately cold. Nala was not alone, Milia’s kunai trembled besides her, and even the people in the other rooftops were visibly hesitating. Even with the signal, it caught her off guard.

It was Temujin Otaghen who broke the spell.

“NALA!”

But it was Milia who reacted first. She rocked her kunai diagonally, now firm in her hand, releasing several successions of water crescents. The Candymaker bent his torso forward, evading the first two, but was ultimately hit by the third and pushed backwards. Taking advantage of this Nala quickly snapped into action and, in a blur of handseals, a large jet was furiously released from her extended hands, right into the chest of the shaken Candymaker. It was pushed backwards at first, but then it made something unexpected. From its chest, his ribs protruded outwards, into several sharp bones from his thorax. As the bones grew, the jet was dispersed, and the people gasped. It was true. The Candymaker was a Kaguya. With no time to waste, both women separated, each to its size, as the Candymaker bend over the roof and several jagged bones erupted from its surface, in a wave of white. Milia rolled on her shoulder, escaping intact, but Nala was slower. Escaping only a moment too late, she was hit by a marrow spear, and tossed like a rag-doll against the floor.

The Candymaker noticed it, And quickly set on to her. Nala was down, but she hadn’t broken anything. Fiercely, she performed 2 handseals, and the ground exploded into water vapor, pushing the Candymaker away. The demon was stunned for a fraction of a second, but it was all it took. From between the bone wave that scarred the ground,, Milia jumped to the Candymaker’s back. She punched both fist at each side of its neck, and a thin water blade was formed, linking her knuckles, severing the Candymaker’s head in the process.

As the head bounced off the floor, the crowd’s cheers were deafening. Milia was riding in ecstasy at the kill. Until the bandages unwrapped, and the identity of the Candymaker was revealed.

It was Kaguya Kemono.

No one cheered now. The crowd turned ominous. Even Milia looked shocked.

All but two.

As Ota and Nala crossed eyes, they were unable to hide their smile. And just like that, Hozuki and Settlement alike turned on the Kaguya, demanding blood. And chaos broke out as it was never seen before.

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:
Reactions: Drāgy and BazzBee

Noni

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I'm gonna miss the candyman :T_T:
Nice chapter though I think the pacing could have been a little slower and I wish candyman had a better death.

The_Empire

Supreme
Kin
6,343💸
Kumi
3,542💴
Trait Points
18⚔️
This weird. I wonder is he being controlled by someone else who was the real Candymaker, hmm. Genjutsu maybe? Lili you are the queen of genjutsu so that could be it. Your clan deals with taste buds and genjutsu lmao.

Chapter was great and unexpected twist again.

Littlefinger.

Elite
Kin
8💸
Kumi
6💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
So he turned out to be Kemono...a bit of a shocker to everyone but not to Ota and Nala. I wonder what you are plotting in those last two chapters, Miss Lili.