Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
You must be registered for see images

LONDON: Pee power! In a world first, UK scientists claim to have developed a novel method to charge mobile phones - using human urine.

Scientists working at the Bristol Robotics Laboratory have described the "breakthrough" finding of charging cell phones using urine as the power source to generate electricity.

"We are very excited as this is a world first, no-one has harnessed power from urine to do this so it's an exciting discovery. Using the ultimate waste product as a source of power to produce electricity is about as eco as it gets," Dr Ioannis Ieropoulos from University of the West of England (UWE), Bristol, an expert at harnessing power from unusual sources using microbial fuel cells, said.
He said so far the microbial fuel power stack that scientists have developed generates enough power to enable SMS messaging, web browsing and to make a brief phone call.

"Making a call on a mobile phone takes up the most energy but we will get to the place where we can charge a battery for longer periods. The concept has been tested and it works - it's now for us to develop and refine the process so that we can develop MFCs to fully charge a battery," he said.

The Microbial Fuel Cell (MFC) is an energy converter, which turns organic matter directly into electricity, via the metabolism of live microorganisms

Scientists believe that the technology has the future potential to be installed into domestic bathrooms to harness the urine and produce sufficient electricity to power showers, lighting or razors as well as mobile phones.

abhiken

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards

DrProof

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
9💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Brb, pissing in my phone's charger outlet to see if it works..

Back..

The Negative: My phone smells like piss.

The positive: There is none.

Reactions: abhiken

Neonian

Legendary
Kin
5💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Well every time we make a call it's going to be smelling like pee so up close to your face. Unless it's in speaker, Bluetooth or headphones.

EnDash

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
considering that human pee is a viable substitute to cologne and has been shown to prevent cancer, i am truly not surprised. in fact if this is true this will help a little with the power issue of the world. you can connect every urinal to a power station and use less natrual resources.

i just realized how twitsed my mind is :(