Infant

Regular
Kin
5,794💸
Kumi
1,695💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I have notcied (the purpose of language us to transfer meaning, not to look fancy on its own, so as long as you understand what i meant to type there, it doesn't really matter if i misspelt the word, right?) that a distinction is some times made between characters in their standard forms and when they have activated all their powers.

By this i mean with characters like Naruto, who has his normal powers, but also has Sage Mode, Kurama Chakra Mode and so on.

However, I'm not sure if these disctinctions are noteworthy.

The way i see it, if someone randomly attacks Naruto, nothing stops him from using Sage Mode powers. So its not like there is much of a practical difference between Naruto and Sage Mode Naruto, because the former becomes the latter as soon as they choose to.

Another issue is that these modes are really just techniques. They are activated like other techniques, with the main difference being an effect they have. So in terms if using them, its not like there is any wierd requirement. Like, Shikamaru needed special circumstances to be able to beat Hidan, so its fair to distinguish whether he has those traps or not. But Naruto can activate Sage Mode and Kurama Chakra Mode at any time, no special preparations needed.

A third issue is that when these distinctions are made, there's hardly a solid standard by which to differentiate. Now Naruto is easy, since his powers are specially named. But what about Suigetsu with his liquid body? Is that a special mode? What about Kimimaro who at one moment needs to dodge kicks but at another can move his consciousness through his bone forest? Is his consciousness transportation a special mode power? Even if we settle this one, the fact that there is no particular distinction between characters who haven't moulded chakra and those who have implies a recognition of there being no proper measuring standard for these modes. I mean, a character activating their chakra is the same process as them turning their chakra to superior modes like MS and SM. So why isnt that distinction made? Or should it be?

So when it comes to the evaluation of character capabilities, is there any merit to distinguishing these power modes? Like, should characters be demerited or merited for having different power modes?

Personally, i enjoy it as a thought exercise, but i don't see justification for taking it further than that. That is to say, i can enjoy considering SM Naruto vs KCM Naruto (i have many thoughts on this), but i dont see that as any different from saying Madara-with-Fire-Style-only vs Madara-with-weapons-only.

What say you?

Pumpkin Ninja

Legendary
Kin
577💸
Kumi
2,186💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I agree. I guess the distinctions may be important when like you said, certain circumstances must be met, if the mode takes a larger toll on them or takes longer preparation. But Naruto has mastered his transformations with the most part, there's no reason to dinstinquish them.

• Angry
Reactions: Infant and minamoto

Infant

Regular
Kin
5,794💸
Kumi
1,695💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I agree. I guess the distinctions may be important when like you said, certain circumstances must be met, if the mode takes a larger toll on them or takes longer preparation. But Naruto has mastered his transformations with the most part, there's no reason to dinstinquish them.
Indeed

I see that as along the same lines as when Hanzo can't use techniques against Mifune because Mifune wont give him the chance to use hand seals.

Some opponents will make entering modes impossible, some opponents allow you to. Whether you can do so consistently is just a matter of your ability as a character