lndra

Supreme
Kin
15💸
Kumi
9💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
To start off, I'm in belief that this generation will be the last ninjas of their time. Before we rush into the details, I want to share these pictures (remember the scenes as they wrap up the message):

You must be registered for see images

A big theme in the introduction of the Boruto series as a collective group (within the graduating class) has been about their struggles in what persuades them to actually become shinobi. As we know, there is a dissection between the physical and mental hardships that shape both Naruto and Boruto's generation. This generation are mostly shaped around peace, love, and a striking boom in technology. However, this was important. This story being built around a time of peace is relative to the times, and they play on that quite well. For example:

In this conversation, Boruto he asks Hinata why she became a ninja, and she says that it was required of her (as any Hyuga) to become one (in fact she words it by saying "destined"). Whereas today, she says that it does not matter whether Boruto becomes a ninja or not, as long as he chooses his own path in life. Which correlates directly to even the Hyuuga Clan, as they are quite different than introduced before.

Which brings me to the main topic at hand: Boruto's generation has a lot more choices of work than what was initially introduced in previously. Ninjas who were at the ninja academy, most of them became ninjas, or at least tried to. Whereas in this generation, like Hinata said, "today being a shinobi isn't everything."

As you can see, it's a reflection of the world they live in. Less danger, more peace, and more people thriving equates to less requirement of actual ninjas. Now that's not to say that the skills of ninjas are depleting and/or unnecessary, but rather the actual need for "soldiers" is decreasing. This is why Boruto later recalls ninjas who:

> Helped build the school multiple times after it was being destroyed in their year
> Ninjas who worked in the mailing system
> Kagemasa who was a ninja before he became a famous actor.

And even when Kakashi (under disguise) was interviewing kids in the Academy,

The main thing to takeaway from this, is that while ninjas are not necessarily required to an extent, their resources are. In terms of information, and skills. However, only at the Academy level for the new world.

To bring us back, I talked earlier about Boruto's generation in terms of the conflicts they face, and how it is different than Naruto's (well more or less, characters like Sumire/Mitsuki had harder upbringings than Sakura, who would be comparable to the new age of ninjas in terms of "struggles" for example). A big spin on this, is how Boruto is portrayed in his fight against Kakashi. Despite being overly talented and seems qualified on paper to be a ninja, he lacks the mindset and resolve that ninjas have. More so, the backbone.

But this doesn't just extend to Boruto himself, as Kakashi expresses his dislike for the entire class.

Now while they did succeed in passing the bell test, and becoming ninjas. This doesn't change the fact of the matter: The flaws that Kakashi exposed are becoming more and more rampant. The children of today don't have what it takes most of the time, and even though some of them passed, they still didn't get Kakashi's message. Which ultimately brought out the failure in the Chunin Examination that we later see from Boruto himself.

To bring us to our final point, let's talk about the most pivotal piece of the story line: technology. Now I won't go into elaborate details on how it effects the Naruto Verse in every extremity. But, I do think it is important to see how it is going to effect ninjas.

In the beginning ninja technology was introduced in the Boruto movie, where Katasuke (a scientist) was pressuring Boruto onto a device that stores scrolls (with ninjutsu techniques inside of them), and releases them instantaneously without hard work. This become a pivotal part of the story line to showcase how despite times changing, the will of the shinobi stays the same.

Now the important part about the Kote device is that you could not use this device without storing ninjutsu in scrolls yourself, or having a ninja do it for you. This mean that shinobi were still required, so in terms of long lasting effects, there are none. But as the series continued, the fine line is starting to disappear.

To recap:

> Katasuke created a prototype hand, that acts very similar to Momoshiki's Rinnegan ability. Where Naruto can absorb techniques (to an unknown limit/power).

> Sarada used a flash bomb created by Katasuke's team, which knocked out Boruto and Mitsuki's senses to the point where she could take them both out. Mitsuki even noticed his snake-like attributes were effected too.

> Mits and boots utilizing the van der Waals forces so that they can move up walls, or climb without much effort.

> A flying machine, self explanatory.

> A healing foam that boost one's natural efficiency to heal wounds.

The problem: All of these tools are used without the need of chakra, or straight to the point, the need to be a ninja. In a comparison made straight to the previous example with the Kote device that had limitations, there are tools being built without them.

Now there are still ninja technology in general that require a ninja's hand, for example the Kote device still operates the same, and . This does not necessarily change the issue that ninja technology is evolving to the point where one day it willl clash with what shinobi are still required to do: Protect and serve. Why would they need to act and serve, when regular people with tools can perform like them. or even outperform them? You think that's unbelievable, right? I thought the same too.

As the narrative stated already, there is a sharp decline of ninjas in today's world, but that does not change the fact that they are still being created. Now the purpose of that is because today's world is still near the time frame of war. It wasn't that long ago when Madara tried to enslave the World under a Genjutsu, or when they had to fight Kaguya (and other Otsutsuki: Such as Toneri in the Last). Not to mention earlier struggles when a fake Akatsuki targeted Sasuke/Sarada in the Gaiden, and when Otsutsuki arrived on Earth to steal its chakra resources from Tailed Beasts.

The problem that ninjas are capable of solving, is slowly (but surely) transitioning into a time where ninja technology is used to combat a rise in ninja technology. In the previous chapter, it was established that Katasuke developed a battle suit. Later Team Konohamaru run into autonomous puppets, which they could not physically harm with their taijutsu, nor when they tried ninjutsu. The only way they could stop them was by having Katasuke absorb their firepower with his suit, until it caused them to overheat. To which they finally were able to deconstruct them afterwards.

We are nearing a point where Ninja abilities might become something scientists can overcome, and the series is still early on its way. Before the fight from the narrative was always ninja v. ninja, it transitioned into ninja v. alien, and now it's slowly introducing ninja technology v. ninja technology.

With the core conflict being that: One does not necessarily ALWAYS need to be a ninja to use ninja technology.

In conclusion, the reason why I draw on the idea of ninjas becoming extinct after Boruto's generation, is due to the opening scene of Boruto v. Kawaki (and obviously everything else I said in the thread).

In the Manga version (not the Anime - VIZ of course). When Boruto confronts Kawaki, after Kawaki threatens to send him to wherever he sent Naruto. Boruto responds by saying that "I guess this was the only possible outcome."

To which Kawaki replies with: "That's right. The age of shinobi ... shall end."

Boruto ends the conversation by saying: "Even so ... I'm still a shinobi"

The important part is what Boruto says at the very end, almost like a play of the words. They could of said "Even so, I'm a ninja". However there is a slight focus on the word STILL. Like the entire conversation, Boruto seems extremely neutral to what happened to Konohagakure. He doesn't seem very optimistic in the restoration of the ninja world, but rather agrees with Kawaki on both accounts ("Only possible outcome" --- "Even so"). Which makes me believe that the era of ninjas, even to Boruto, will end.

This drives forward that Boruto, despite all of this, still has to claim that he is still a shinobi. Interpret that how you may.

This is a side theory that I created if this becomes true, because some people may have questions about topic at hand. I want to clarify before I start, what I'm saying now has no correlation to the theory above me, this is standalone.

Two beginning objectives of the story of the Next Generation focuses around Sarada Uciha, Mitsuki, and Boruto Uzumaki's goals/motivations. Sarada wishes to become a Hokage, Mitsuki wants to stay by his 'Sun's' side, and Boruto wants to become to become a ninja who supports the Hokage.

However with the possible end of the shinobi era. These dreams seem to conflict with that narrative, right?

My belief is that, if the ninja system ends after Boruto's generation, something else will take its place. With the rise of ninja technology, and with the decrease supply of shinobi in general ... It's possible that they will just become erased, as there won't be any more need after the final conflict with Kawaki, Kara, and the Otsutsuki.

Which most likely will be the work of ninja technology saving the day (and presumably the cause of the eradication for ninjas altogether).

Holding onto this last bit, its possible that Sarada will not be Hokage. I play this on the fact that in the opening scene, the Hokage monuments are destroyed. Which may or may not be symbolism to that fact. Even when Pain destroyed Konohagakure, the monuments stood tall, just as ninjas were pivotal to the growth and survival of the land.

However now, Sarada and her generation might lead a future into the new world. She will most likely be leader, but the term Hokage might not stand. If I could compare it to something, it would obviously be President.

To end on that note, I also believe that Boruto's position in the new world will conflict with Sarada's. Since Boruto's dream is to become a 'ninja' who supports his 'Ninja leader' - He'll become something else.

Similar to how Sasuke at VoTE2 decided he wanted to become a being who everyone hated, so that he could maintain order and rule the world from the shadows. I can see Boruto being the opposite of that, where he becomes a silent protect for the new world. In case threats (like the Otsutsuki for example) arrive, and they depend upon his skills (Or Dojutsu). Similar to how Sasuke was the one who solved the Otsutsuki problem in his time. You could also reference this to Toneri, who similarly is protecting Earth from the shadows.

I base this idea on the fact that the clear play of words with "age of shinobi shall end" and Boruto stating "he's still a ninja" -- Confirms more or less that Boruto still old the traditional ways to his heart. Even if the times have changed, which is why he probably why agrees with Kawaki too.

Umari Senju

Legendary
Kin
238💸
Kumi
96💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Read the whole wall of text. And an interesting read it was. I completely agree. In a way, this is basically in a nutshell what this whole “PART 3” boils down to. Ultimately the end of the ninja age.

I’d like to note that it was t just Kakashi but Naruto and Shikamaru had the same sentiment. When they were in the Hokage office discussing Kara and the Otsutsuki.

Naruto mentioned that their kids weren’t ready for what was coming. That they lived too peacefully and it was their job to get them ready for what’s to come.

Ninja tech seems to be Naruto’s answer to the lack in power. And we read last chapter it’s already fallen into the wrong hands. I’m actually really interested in seeing where they take this train of thought and what Boruto’s response to all of this will be.

Great post Indra. A really good read.

Mori Jin

Elite
Kin
1💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Nice read. Yeah I thinks so to, with the way the story is going, what the average shinobi (or even some of the powerful ones) can do will be replicated by ninja tech. The arm that absorbs Ninjutsu like preta has already done this. But I personally think, that the Otsutsuki will prove these ninja tech using people wrong. Kawaki could just be Boruto's pein. Naruto being Jiraiya in this case (hopefully not dead). Both agreed on peace, but not the path to get there. Just like Boruto and Kawaki agreeing on something.

There will be bigger and stronger villians to come to prove these scientists wrong and that not everything can be replicated with technology.

Kawaki will probably be like cell. A test tube baby.

Last edited:

salamander uchiha

Legendary
Kin
9,043💸
Kumi
6,082💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Good theory I kind of agree with it, there will definitely be a change especially with the rapid pace of tech development.

The only problem I have is the bloodlines still exist while they exist there are abilities which will be connected to the ninja world in some shape or form. The only thing I see negating that is a purge of the ninja world(bloodlines) and the tailed beasts. It could be the catalyst for the great war that'll follow. Kawaki's words may actually be the foreshadowing or the beginning of that purge.

Because this is a shonen manga I'm not sure if that'll happen so it's 50/50 or up in the air. It's a good theory nonetheless.

Last edited:

Hyuga Prodigy

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
This is exactly my thought. The Age of Shinobi will wither and the new rise of technology is booming. Even a Class Rep Sumire ended up as a scientist supervisor seemingly following her father footstep. Academy student like Wasabi and Namida never gave us a good reason why they aspire to become Ninja so I also believe they will go different route at certain point of the story just like Sumire.

The destruction of the Hokage stones is the visual representation that the Ninja system had fallen into calamity which plays the parallelism with Naruto story when essentially the statue of Madara and Hashirama is the embodiment of the cycle of hatred. Naruto and Sasuke broke the endless cycle of Indra/Ashura Reincarnation which is why I believe it no longer plays a factor in Boruto.

Because essentially, Naruto is all about "History repeat itself" whereas with Boruto is all about the "Future"

InfiniteMugen

KING
Legendary
Kin
110💸
Kumi
200💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I agree, good connection of the running theme of the new gen not really having the same drive and reasons to be ninjas like their parents did, or even be ninjas at all. Tbh i didn’t even make that connection but it’s a lil better of a show the way I view it now after this read. It’s nice that gave it some realistic time frame instead of ninja ending with the end of the kaguya fight. Good read dude, good read

Reactions: Princess Kaguya

Sagebee

Supreme
Kin
6,121💸
Kumi
1,800💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I don't think that will be the case for a couple of reasons for one that means sarada becoming hokage becomes pointless and no more ninjas means no more series and I don't think the people getting paid wants that

lndra

Supreme
Kin
15💸
Kumi
9💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
We need more thread like this, good job Indra.
Ninja vs modern technology
I agree, good connection of the running theme of the new gen not really having the same drive and reasons to be ninjas like their parents did, or even be ninjas at all. Tbh i didn’t even make that connection but it’s a lil better of a show the way I view it now after this read. It’s nice that gave it some realistic time frame instead of ninja ending with the end of the kaguya fight. Good read dude, good read
This is exactly my thought. The Age of Shinobi will wither and the new rise of technology is booming. Even a Class Rep Sumire ended up as a scientist supervisor seemingly following her father footstep. Academy student like Wasabi and Namida never gave us a good reason why they aspire to become Ninja so I also believe they will go different route at certain point of the story just like Sumire.

The destruction of the Hokage stones is the visual representation that the Ninja system had fallen into calamity which plays the parallelism with Naruto story when essentially the statue of Madara and Hashirama is the embodiment of the cycle of hatred. Naruto and Sasuke broke the endless cycle of Indra/Ashura Reincarnation which is why I believe it no longer plays a factor in Boruto.

Because essentially, Naruto is all about "History repeat itself" whereas with Boruto is all about the "Future"

Good theory I kind of agree with it, there will definitely be a change especially with the rapid pace of tech development.

The only problem I have is the bloodlines still exist while they exist there are abilities which will be connected to the ninja world in some shape or form. The only thing I see negating that is a purge of the ninja world(bloodlines) and the tailed beasts. It could be the catalyst for the great war that'll follow. Kawaki's words may actually be the foreshadowing or the beginning of that purge.

Because this is a shonen manga I'm not sure if that'll happen so it's 50/50 or up in the air. It's a good theory nonetheless.
Nice read. Yeah I thinks so to, with the way the story is going, what the average shinobi (or even some of the powerful ones) can do will be replicated by ninja tech. The arm that absorbs Ninjutsu like preta has already done this. But I personally think, that the Otsutsuki will prove these ninja tech using people wrong. Kawaki could just be Boruto's pein. Naruto being Jiraiya in this case (hopefully not dead). Both agreed on peace, but not the path to get there. Just like Boruto and Kawaki agreeing on something.

There will be bigger and stronger villians to come to prove these scientists wrong and that not everything can be replicated with technology.

Kawaki will probably be like cell. A test tube baby.
Read the whole wall of text. And an interesting read it was. I completely agree. In a way, this is basically in a nutshell what this whole “PART 3” boils down to. Ultimately the end of the ninja age.

I’d like to note that it was t just Kakashi but Naruto and Shikamaru had the same sentiment. When they were in the Hokage office discussing Kara and the Otsutsuki.

Naruto mentioned that their kids weren’t ready for what was coming. That they lived too peacefully and it was their job to get them ready for what’s to come.

Ninja tech seems to be Naruto’s answer to the lack in power. And we read last chapter it’s already fallen into the wrong hands. I’m actually really interested in seeing where they take this train of thought and what Boruto’s response to all of this will be.

Great post Indra. A really good read.
thanks everyone for the support.

I'll probably add onto this thread or make another long post (in this thread) when we get more information in the upcoming Ao fight and so on. We are bound to understand what really happened in the flash forward as the Kara plot is increasing, not to mention the vessel stuff (which is prob Kawaki).

Anyway we'll see how this turn out. I'm sure there will be some controversy if they decide to push it this far, since it would be basically ending the core of Naruto, and going somewhere else. However, it could wrap up the story in a fulfilling way where 700 left us half way fed.

uhmusddy

Veteran
Kin
38💸
Kumi
15💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I agree 1000% I had the same thoughts on ninja tech. It went from a counter measure to Ooktsusuki power to just new hack inventions that could trample shinobi at some point.

& with the direction the series has been going so far it seems like we really are gearing up for the true end of shinobi. I just hope, even though it might be due to Kawaki’s (or others) schemes, the shinobi world itself can come to an end on their own terms.

Sarada won’t be Hokage but she will be a new leader in what’s next. Sucks for Konohamaru I’d he didn’t die & Boruto as the last shinobi will protect the world from the shadows til he dies.

...but what if we’re meant to be lured into this direction? & they actually have a big twist or just more to the story. Like Boruto vs Kawaki still only being a half point(of the time skip)

Anyways great read