My thoughts on making 2D animation and character rigging?

Kajime Kazuhiro

Elite
Kin
165💸
Kumi
1,774💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
IT'S TEDIOUS AS *Beep*!

I've recently started accepting 2d character rigging projects from my employer, and oh boy...average as it is, it's just hella time-consuming...
People might say animation is easy, but me and my cut-outs are starting to make me go nuts. More so if you try cell-based animation (the one being used in Japanese 2d animation). I dunno what I'd do if I overdue on deadlines just for cell-based anims...

My comment on anime haters: At least just give the animators some credit, will ya? Animators work their assess off even though being underpayed. So yeah...even if the story is shit, they're still giving it their all for giving you excellent animation (even what you think of as being 'generic', they still take time to make).

That's all~

P.S. I don't even know if I'll last long in the animation industry, and it's just the start...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Rohan

Marin

Veteran
Kin
306💸
Kumi
2,001💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Who do you work for?

Japanese animators generally don't use 2D rigs for anime and instead either do it the classic 2D way or on a tablet. Sometimes CG is used but 2D rigs are mostly reserved for video games or promotional stuff.

Reactions: Rohan

Kajime Kazuhiro

Elite
Kin
165💸
Kumi
1,774💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
...classic 2D way or on a tablet.
Exactly, that's what cell-based animation is about, where most people know as Traditional 2D.

But yeah, my point was what the animators are feeling (be it current 2D animation, cell-based animation, or even 3D) they all take time to make, and I'm just proving it through experience.

I work at a small media group here in the Philippines where they also team with clients and other animation/multimedia firms, and they're focusing on Western-based animation more than Japanese animation. (which in fact, uses 2D Rigs for animation than drawing everything per cell)

Marin

Veteran
Kin
306💸
Kumi
2,001💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Exactly, that's what cell-based animation is about, where most people know as Traditional 2D.

But they aren't the same thing are they now? Traditional 2D (be it on paper or on a tablet) would be drawing every frame so there would be no room for a character rig. Are we talking about the same thing? By rig-based animation, I mean bone-based in which you make pieces of a character individually and animate them by translation and rotation like .

But yeah, my point was what the animators are feeling (be it current 2D animation, cell-based animation, or even 3D) they all take time to make, and I'm just proving it through experience.

Oh, as someone who spent years of his life studying classic 2D animation I'd be the last one to disagree. Any decent animation will be time-consuming and difficult. Advanced sakuga stuff requires you to be a no-lifer to make it with animators having to work an inhuman amount of hours just to get it done in time.

I work at a small media group here in the Philippines where they also team with clients and other animation/multimedia firms, and they're focusing on Western-based animation more than Japanese animation. (which in fact, uses 2D Rigs for animation than drawing everything per cell)
Oh cool. How long have you been working there? Where did you learn how to animate. Yea, I'm aware that western animation is 3D and rig dominated but I assumed you were talking about anime because you were telling us (anime fans) to give credit to animators working on the shows we watch (which would be mostly anime).

Kajime Kazuhiro

Elite
Kin
165💸
Kumi
1,774💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Answers based on quotation:
1.) I did say cell-based animation/traditional 2d, right? And yes, I'm familiar with the differences of both traditional 2d (cell-based) vs. rig-based 2d animation (which what I was doing).
2.) So you're disagreeing on the same point I made, that 2d animation is definitely time-consuming? I made the thread to let people know, that doing animation takes time and people shouldn't feel discouraged completely on a simple anime series if it didn't deliver anything good in story/plot.
3.) I'm currently working as a trainee, and the whole point of the thread was #2. and no, I never said anything about Western animation being only 3D. Western countries also do 2D animation.

4.) Was the point of your reply to bash back towards me? When I was just trying to encourage people to be fond of 2D animation and how certain people shouldn't hate completely on an anime series just 'coz of the plot (and at least, give the animators the credit with their hardwork?)

Again, my point here in the whole thread, is that Animation takes effort. If you think I was bashing on anything against that, then I'll just leave you be. Just please don't try causing any drama in the forums for a non-destructive impression thread that I made simply just for fun.

('coz based on your reply, I dunno which side of the spectrum you really side on, tbh xD no offense btw, dude)

EDIT: This might just be me badly-interpreting your wordings in most of the statements on your reply, since they felt like starting a heated argument

Last edited: