Avani

Supreme
Kin
5,406💸
Kumi
480💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
MS and JB both sites have decided to stop scanlating Shonen Jump series.

(These sites used to acquire the magazine before its official street date (Monday in Japan) and scan, translate and upload the chapters.)

" @everyone If you haven't seen it already, *********** has decided to stop working on WSJ series overall.
The important part is, We think it is a good place for us to end too... This may come as a surprise, but we have decided to stop working on WSJ series and focus on our Webtoons and other series from different magazines (YJ, WSM and so on). The idea is to let this turn of the decade change the scanlation scene, hoping services like MangaPlus (MP) can grow and put out more free content. Giving way to a new era of scanlation, fueled by the wills and wants of manga fans that want a free, accessible and legal alternative that supports the mangaka. We hope that this will improve the quality of both the scans and translations that MP offers (only time will tell).
As for the projects effected by this the list is as followed:
- Black Clover
-We Can't Study
- My Hero Academia
- One Piece
- The Promised Neverland
- Jujutsu Kaisen
- Samurai 8
- Dr. Stone
- Dr. Stone Reboot
Since many people in our team love the series we work on, and we want to keep to keep supporting their method of learning, we will be working on some of the series from that list for ourselves only, and will only be sharing with Staff (This is being added so if someone mentions about working on something we don't get shit for it). Also, this would have marked MS's 10th year! So good luck and farewell to them
You must be registered for see images
This is a new beginning, and end, to a era of scanlation

- JB

Of course you can read the chapters on official sites:

- available for free worldwide outside of China, South Korea and Japan on Sundays 20:00 UTC.

- available for free on Sundays 20:00 UTC in the following territories: United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Ireland, New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, the Philippines, Singapore, and India.

• Sad
Reactions: Caliburn

Caliburn

Supreme
Kin
2,805💸
Kumi
525💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
....this is infuriating. MS only kept the latest few chapters online, which I always considered to be rather fair. Then again they have existed for nearly a decade, so they would have to stop at some point, but like this? Like a thief in the night without any prior notification? I feel like I've been scammed. And then JB just decides to haphazardly follow? At least provide some kind of transitional period.

I had to read the latest OP chapter on Imgur...I feel like we've regressed to the situation of 10 years ago.

Avani

Supreme
Kin
5,406💸
Kumi
480💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
....this is infuriating. MS only kept the latest few chapters online, which I always considered to be rather fair. Then again they have existed for nearly a decade, so they would have to stop at some point, but like this? Like a thief in the night without any prior notification? I feel like I've been scammed. And then JB just decides to haphazardly follow? At least provide some kind of transitional period.

I had to read the latest OP chapter on Imgur...I feel like we've regressed to the situation of 10 years ago.

There are some rumors that Shueisha targeted MS in a US court earlier this year... JB's reasoning to stop was weird. They probably just didn't want to risk their site, when they saw MS gone, they took WSJ stuff off.

ETHx

Kin
47💸
Kumi
12💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
If you read some of the things people described, the way they received those scans early seemed illegal anyways so it was bound to happen with the releases being earlier that the actual date they were supposed to be uploaded and distributed.

Also ms did not only keep the recent chapters up, if you ever took a look at some of the series they had they had all the chapters up until newest release. There was way too much traffic on ms not to attract attention.

Last edited:

Sagebee

Supreme
Kin
6,121💸
Kumi
1,800💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
So I'm confused is this going to affect in any way people getting the listed series for free? It just stops early releases of chapters right? If that's it then not a big deal.
Post automatically merged:

Just looked into this and they might of shut down due to legal issues since they were being sued by shuesha and I guess jaimini box to avoid the same fate followed. A couple months back manga rock shut down for similar reasons. Seems these companies are finally cracking down on scanlators as they make there sites only source for English translations. I've been reading and people say jaimini box and manga stream are better than the official ones do you agree with that?

I think this move might stop scanlator groups but wont stop these manga hosting sites from ripping there content so they are fighting a losing battle when it comes to pirating. They are better off creating partnerships with them allowing them to translate as long as they also tell direct traffic to the official releases aswell.

Last edited:

ETHx

Kin
47💸
Kumi
12💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
So I'm confused is this going to affect in any way people getting the listed series for free? It just stops early releases of chapters right? If that's it then not a big deal.
Post automatically merged:

Just looked into this and they might of shut down due to legal issues since they were being sued by shuesha and I guess jaimini box to avoid the same fate followed. A couple months back manga rock shut down for similar reasons. Seems these companies are finally cracking down on scanlators as they make there sites only source for English translations. I've been reading and people say jaimini box and manga stream are better than the official ones do you agree with that?

I think this move might stop scanlator groups but wont stop these manga hosting sites from ripping there content so they are fighting a losing battle when it comes to pirating. They are better off creating partnerships with them allowing them to translate as long as they also tell direct traffic to the official releases aswell.
I mean, it was a success in the sense that they took away some of the more easily accessible sites.
Its not gonna stop small groups though.

Sagebee

Supreme
Kin
6,121💸
Kumi
1,800💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I mean, it was a success in the sense that they took away some of the more easily accessible sites.
Its not gonna stop small groups though.
True but the quality might not be as good with smaller groups also these bigger groups I think accept donations not sure how lucrative they were mangarock was definitely making good money from pirating. So at the very least makes it harder for people to try and make profit from pirating.

But yes scanlators will pop up and fill the void and other sites already rip there works and post it on other sites so they didn't accomplish much in this move.