Kin
155💸
Kumi
12💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Hi there, it's been a while.

Every now and then when I'm going about my life, something will remind me of NarutoBase Roleplay and I'll think how fuckin strange all of this was. But I also look back on this game and group of people really fondly. Wanna take a trip down memory lane?

When I made my account in 2011, I had been reading the manga on this website and planned on joining to talk about Naruto? I also think I made forum signatures in photoshop out of the anime characters.

In any case, I stumbled into the roleplay section and found a fight between KeotsuEclipse and Akiza, where he used Minato to fight her Kaguya. I was blown away, realizing this was my chance to self-insert in Naruto. Hyped up 14 year-old Inch.

So I made a bio of some generic loser, and went to work joining the RP.... AKA getting ignored by everyone licensed to teach on the website because they were getting spammed by dozens of copy/paste clones of desparate Sasuke LARPers. Once I finally learned lightning from Jokey, I was ready to scrap. And by that I mean ruin the game for my first batch of people.

I bullied a couple of noobs into giving my character the win after we typed flavor text, until I met my first rival, Black Uchiha. Strange dude who used the Aburame bug jutsu. Absolutely fit the profile for a bug user. I remember staying up late obsessively arguing with the guy to prove my point on why obviously my description meant I should win. Luckily I was more likable and could get rulings in my favor, cuz that's all this mf came down to.

My first controversy on this website was with my partner in crime Jokey / Jamal. He would teach me like 10 jutsu at a time during an era when that was NOT the norm. Most people were struggling with a technique a week while I speed ran it cuz I was bribing Jamal with photoshopped forum signatures of whichever character he was fixated on for the week. Ain't that just the way.

Anyway, some real big names got on my case. Scary Yamato and a few other big name sensei were NOT happy about this teaching standard, and The Pervy Sage / Dan / Whatever might have revoked Jamal's teaching license? I dunno, but I got to keep what I learned, so I learned absolutely nothing from any of this.

At some point, I made it into my first Ninja World village, Konoha. I was mostly useless for the first few months, but I formed enemies with anyone who typed that out, forming grudges that lasted years. Looking at you, ReXii. Konoha was basically a bad village filled with new roleplayers that had recently taken an interest in the game. There was very unstable leadership until the adults of the RP came to set up shop- Izuna Uchiha, Scary Yamato, and Scorps - I'll take an aside here to mention the early friendship I had with ol' scorps. Anyway, the elite of the RP at the time preferred him, so naturally I tried to one-up him any chance I got and completely destroyed the friendship. Tragic.

Regardless, once the adults joined Konoha, things started to develop better for me. I became known as an Ice user, and was pretty prideful in my position as a high-skill underrated mid-tier fighter on a backwoods Naruto roleplaying website. They hosted a tournament, which was really fun. Scary Yamato then revamped the Ninja World so that you could no longer teleport across it to instantly have fun, which was really not fun. At this point I got distracted with real life and quit playing until I rejoined the roleplay in 2014, cause college felt boring somehow.

When I came back, things were quite a bit different. Scorps was a big time mod, Caliburn was running the RP, and the community had gotten awesomely toxic. The irreverant era of Kumogakure was when I got more properly introduced to people like Lok, Daemon, and Broly. The RP had shifted from blatant nepotism to something resembling a custom jutsu meritocracy. People were more egotistical and focused on climbing the power hierarchy, which was previously seen as impossible unless you were friends with Nexus.

I saw the lay of the land and immediately left Konoha. In my last stint on Narutobase, me and my pal Gin-San had tried and failed to take over Konoha, and that one guy Crow was in charge instead. Didn't like that so much, so I sought greener pastures.

While stalking DM conversations (was this normal? I never knew, but I did it!), I came across Kerrah and Erzo and decided I wanted to be friends with them, and got myself invited to Iwagakure, which had a pretty decent reputation. While I made lots of friends here, this is where my timeline starts to get pretty blurry. This is when I started enjoying the social aspects of being on skype/discord more than the RP. Many such cases.

Anyway, in Iwagakure I made fast friends with Erzo, Kerrah, Scaze, and eventually Kurapika. I remember Moxxi causing a lot of drama, which was funny since it later turned out Scaze was right and she was a catfish. This is also where I'd meet Drackos and Klad, who were solid frenemies for the rest of my NBing.

With a solid clique, I grew an ego even though I had very little power. You see, I also had won multiple canon only tournaments, which made me feel very assured that I could always finesse wins if the fight was even. And being smug was the best part, easily. I formed rivalries during some scraps with people from Kumo and Kiri. Joker, Shady, and Riker immediately come to mind, and they would be recurring opps for the rest of my time on the site, Riker in particular.

I was able to get by with my ice canon elitist bluffing until Negative Knight led a campaign of the most bland MFers imaginable under some name like Village of Darkness. They targeted Iwa first because we were seen as the strong village, and despite me and Kurapika's attempts to be as petty as possible, eventually lost. I was livid. So mad. Ready to do anything to gain some power so I could force people to eat shit.

Around this time, I leaned into my personality more on the website, sporting an avatar with a Corgi awkwardly wearing a lobster costume. I made lots of silly posts in the Tavern thread, with a tone quite similar to this one. I even made an new GFX shop where I made deliberately bad avatars for people. Hindsight, I was ahead of my time with the ironic internet dog content shitposting.

Anyway, I went in the discords more and started participating in events. I got friendlier with Lok, bonding over Harry Potter shit when I joined the Kisei clan. This was one of the bigger turning points in my RP career, because that clan was insanely overpowered. Literally you could fight whoever without any customs, just a default Kisei in 7th year could handle w/e if you didn't have sand for a brain. Other clans were bad too, but good lord.

I was able to use my witch Morgana la Fey to win a NW tournament event, King of the Fall. The win hinged on a particularly controversial ruling against Riker Slade, where I determined that he accidentally teleported into a sword I conjured. From what I recall, this instance snowballed into a meta where people could and would abuse any vague details in their opponents phrasing. I was against it, but you know what I wasn't against? Winning the 4 tailed jinchuriki complete with +40 boosts to lava and earth/fire.

NOW I was clouted and complacent. But unfortunately, that's all I'd really accomplish. With frequent updates to the Naruto World, along with my own distractibility, it was hard to be consistent enough to really make a splash with the Yonbi, though I did my best to fill out the customs. I ended up having more success with my Kisei, which again speaks to how fucking insane that clan was.

Most of my NB life from here on out was spent overseeing the persistent decline of Iwa, bickering, and arguing on Discord until I eventually (and very briefly) became a Customs moderator. I remember thinking it was so cool to be a moderator without ever having been a sensei. Anyway, after realizing that checking customs is a raw deal, I quit the website.

Anyway, that's enough reminiscing. Hope you enjoyed if you took the time to read, and love to Vayne and everyone else who I probably didn't mention in here, just some random thoughts. Much love, bye.

edit: oh yeah, post your memories here if you end up stumbling on this, would love to read when I pop back here.

Last edited: