[Discussion] Mard Geer is the solo king of Fairy Tail

Kin
7💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Mard Geer may be strong, but he's not THAT OP, even if we forget Alvalez arc.

-Algeria may be useful but it doesn't KILL what it touches, it takes a while to cover the entire Cube, and Mard needed the Cube to cast it. Fairy Law or Grimoire Law can do a better job since they can wipe out an entire army in shorter time.

-Same for Memento Mori, it may have a more devastating effect, but it only affected a 15 per 15 feet zone while Mard was 30 feet away, and it has about the same casting time as FL or GL, except these have about 100 times better range and zone-effect.

-Toying with the twin dragons isn't an impressive feat, even Natsu could beat them while they were both in DragonForce and he wasn't. This should put natsu over 6 TIMES stronger than a basic Sting or Rogue! How could these losers beat Jiemma if he's supposed to be even stronger than Kyoka (who only lost to Erza because of POF breaking logic)!?

-I may not have read the manga in a while, but I don't recall Mard outclassing CSK, he mostly dodged his attacks until Lucy ran out of magic. It IS impressive to last that long, but it doesn't necessarily make him on CSK's level (take Byro for instance, he lasted a long time against Gildarts since he could nullify his Crush magic. Does it make him on Gildarts' level?). Anyway we're not sure how powerful CSK really is, he may have destroyed the Cube, but that's something Hades could've done too with an Amaterasu 100 (it blew up 1/4 of Tenrou Island and Hades wasn't even using the huge boost of his Devil's Eye).

-Mard wasn't defeated by plot, Gray did defeat him with Devil Slayer magic and Natsu's help. I know Mard was still conscious, but he was too injured to keep fighting, he's WAY too arrogant to stay on the ground unless he can't stand up. Zeref only finished him by burning his book, but Gray could've done it too if he used one more Devil Slayer attack.

-Mard may have impressive defense and speed, but his offense isn't that strong. His Thorns may have pierced CSK, but they're not very accurate. CSK was a huge and slow target, everyone else kept dodging Mard's Thorns even when he casted dozens at the time. And MM takes time to cast, Mard may have had time to use it against foes like Natsu and Gray, but foes like Gildarts, Hades or Laxus could likely interrupt the spell before it's fully cast.

Still, I'm not saying Mard is lame, he IS strong enough to beat foes of Tartaros Laxus' level and maybe he could even beat Tartaros Gildarts, depending on if he can succesfully hit him with MM (he'd lose otherwise). I'd say if we exclude Zeref, the dragons and the more recent arcs where everyone became OP (wich I HATE!), Mard is in the top 3 most powerful characters in Fairy Tail alongside Gildarts and Hades. (My personal classment is 1: Hades. 2: Gildarts. 3: Mard Geer)

Kin
7💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Plotsu and Plotray used PLOT! Mard Geer was too OP for them *****s. Gray new powers are a plot device.
Devil Slaying magic is only ONE way Fairy Tail could've beat Mard Geer. The writer could've decided NOT to make Laxus sick the whole arc so he could've helped against Mard, or even better, Gildarts could've come back. Devil Slaying magic wasn't a desperate plot attempt to make an invincible enemy lose, it was just a way of preparing Gray for his future fight with END.