Manga's best incident of political intrigue?

What was your favorite incident of political intrigue?

• Rin Becoming the Three-Tails Jinchuruki

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Hyuga Affair

• The Konoha Crush

• Total voters

Claymantan

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Pretty simple: What was your favorite moment of political intrigue in this manga? They're listed below.

I've listed the major moments in chronological(-ish) order below with descriptions in case you're rusty on what happened when and how. Tell us what you liked the best and why, tell us what you didn't like, tell us what you plain forgot happened. Rank em, if you want. What would you have wanted to see or know more about? What do you think shouldn't even have been in the manga?

The Formation of Konohagakure

(Hashirama, Tobirama, Madara, The Senju and the Uchiha Clans)

Straight outta the Warring States Period of shinobi history, before there were villages, we have Hashirama and Madara deciding how to bring peace to generations of interclan conflict between the Senju and Uchiha. They come to the decision to form the first ninja villages; however, conflict arises over whom should lead it. Hashirama is willing to offer the position to Madara, but Tobirama objects and demands a democratic election, thereby placing Hashirama in control. Whether or not Madara believed Hashirama's project was or could be a success played a large role in his later decisions to pursue the Moon's Eye Plan.

The First Kage Summit

(Tobirama + First Shinobi World War Gokages)

A decent amount of time after the villages have been established, Hashirama has to confront the reality that peace has not been achieved as war arises between the shinobi villages. The First Kage Summit set the stage for making jinchuruki diplomatic symbols as well as creating power relations between the villages that would create tensions in later decades. The First Shinobi World War ended here, but the cycle of violence did not.

Rin Becoming the Three-Tails' Jinchuruki

(Madara, Kirigakure, Rin, Kakashi, Obito)

Madara, in collaboration with (or, more accurately, in control of) Kirigakure's shinobi, had Rin Nohara captured and sealed the Three-Tails into her, making Rin its jinchuruki. The seal was programmed to wear off upon Rin's reentry into Konohagakure in order to wreak staggering havoc upon the village. However, Madara's true intention was to force Rin into a position where Obito would witness the death of the person he loved, and Obito did indeed witness Rin's death at the hands of Kakashi. This event set Obito on the path to darkness in order to continue Madara's Moon's Eye Plan after Madara's death.

Kirigakure's Manipulation by the Uchiha

(Madara, Obito, Yagura, The Seven Swordsmen of the Mist)

Madara had been manipulating political power in Kirigakure since the time of the Third Mizukage, but most of what we know comes from Obito's time spent making Yagura, the Fourth Mizukage, into his puppet. Under Obito's control, Kirigakure entered one of the darkest and most brutal periods in its history as a village, and recruited Kisame into Akatsuki for his Moon's Eye Plan.

The Formation of Amegakure's Akatsuki

(Hanzo, Danzo, Yahiko, Nagato, Konan, Madara, and Tobi)

In the aftermath of the Second Shinobi World War, these orphaned shinobi of Amegakure formed the rebel faction Akatsuki to contest Hanzo's oppressive rule and bring an end to the endless rain that fell upon Amegakure. However, their rebellion was more than just a spontaneous plea for peace. In reality, the formation of Akatsuki was part of Madara and Tobi's long-term plans to cultivate the Rinnegan in Nagato and transform Akatsuki into a bona fide terrorist faction that would threaten the entire shinobi world. This is yet another event in which Danzo played a role, allying with Hanzo in order to gain leverage to become Hokage. Unforuntately, everyone had designs on the Ame Orphans' lives, and their ideals were manipulated for political gains and personal venegeance.

The Hyuga Affair

(The Hyuga Clan and Kumogakure)

In order to bring an end to hostilities between Konohagakure and Kumogakure, the two villages agreed to create a peace treaty on the date of Hinata's third birthday. However, instead of meeting peacefully, a Kumogakure shinobi stole the Hyuga princess from the clan's compound, and, in retrieving Hinata, the Kumogakure shinobi was killed by Hiashi. Denying knowledge of the attempted kidnapping, Kumogakure demanded Hiashi's head. In order to avoid losing the head of Hyuga clan and the life of his sibling, Hiashi's twin brother, Hizashi, offered his own life in Hiashi's stead, pacifying Kumogakure and denying them an excuse to cripple one of Konohagakure's central clans.

The Uchiha Clan Massacre

(Danzo, Hiruzen, Itachi, The Uchiha Clan)

One of the defining events of the manga's history, this is the event that orphaned Sasuke and destroyed almost his entire clan. After generations of being ostracized and separated from political control within Konoha, the Uchiha Clan designed a coup to wrest power for themselves within the village. Although Shisui desired to prevent the conflict peacefully, Danzo managed to steal one of his Mangekyo Sharingan and it's coveted Kotoamatsukami ability, and, after Shisui's suicide, manipulated and cornered Itachi into massacring his own clan in exchange for Sasuke's life. Meanwhile, Obito helped participate in the massacre, also securing Itachi a place in Akatsuki after the massacre.

The Konoha Crush

(Orochimaru, Otogakure, and Sunagakure)

The Konoha Crush was a collaborative effort between Orochimaru and his Otogakure shinobi as well as Sunagakure to infiltrate and destroy Konoha, but there were many different motivations for this attack. Gaara himself just wanted to kill people. The Fourth Kazekage, Rasa, agreed to the invasion because Sunagakure was threatened by Konoha's growth, and Rasa believed that Sunagakure needed its resources to survive. Orochimaru sought to display his newfound strength and wreak vengeance upon the village for ostracizing him. And in preparation for the actual invasion, Orochimaru assassinated Rasa himself in order to have more control over its events. All the while, Kabuto's own motivations as Orochimaru's right-hand man remained shadowy and uncertain. And don't forget the suspicion that Danzo had a role in allowing the Konoha Crush to take place, in order to remove Hiruzen from office and justify his militaristic policies.

The Five Kage Summit

(Danzo + Gokage w/o Tsunade, Tobi)

The Five Kage gather to discuss what should be done about Akatsuki, but it's not that simple. Danzo's in the midst of making a power play to become Konoha's Candidate Hokage, and Tobi's approaching to make his declaration of war. The Summit breaks down with Sasuke breaks in, plunging the Summit into chaos after Tobi reveals his Moon's Eye Plan. The ratings of Konoha's news stations skyrockets as political commentators and pundits sensationalize an already sensational event.

The Next-Gen Five Kage Summit

(Naruto, Chojuro, Darui, Kurotsuchi, Gaara)

Not really a moment of political intrigue, but maybe you liked the moment in the manga where everything was fine and you got to see all these kids grow up to be literal bosses? :p Perhaps the best form of political intrigue is no political intrigue? Philosophical and moral questions in this thread, man.

Last edited:

Nagi

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Orochimaru is the best realistic villain. Dude plotted out a major attack against the hidden leaf and caused the death of the 3rd Hokage!

Chie

Elite
Kin
5💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Orochimaru is the best realistic villain. Dude plotted out a major attack against the hidden leaf and caused the death of the 3rd Hokage!
And then, it's never explained why he did it plus, he becomes a mother in the end who loves her children.

10/10 villain. :sdo:

---

ot: Thank you for putting in the effort to create this thread. c':

Claymantan

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Mine is the First Kage Summit just because I liked the flashback atmosphere, it was cool to see how the "current" system came to be, and I liked finding out about things like tributes for jinchuruki and whatnot. The stakes also seemed pretty high, and Hashirama was a sympathetic Hokage, I think.

DominiqueX

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
The Formation of Amegakure's Akatsuki.
But you forgot Danzo here, who played a major role in the betrayal that caused the rebel group to turn into an organisation of terrorists.

Claymantan

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I've looked it up, here you go~
You must be registered for see images
:win:
Oops XD

Well, I edited the post above to include Danzo's role. That does kind of make me lean more towards the Formation of Amegakure's Akatsuki; it's sad how in spite of their ideals, virtually everyone was manipulating them to their own ends, and gave not a single damn about having true peace in Amegakure.

Danzo for best villain. Need a oneshot of that guy instead of the ones we got about Kakashi's face/Kiba/Momma Orochimaru/etc.
I agree, but stop trying to take away my Akamaru one-shot. :'(

paratise

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I tried to parallel some of these arcs with historical events of our World:

The Formation of Konohagakure - Building of nation states in 19th-20th centuries
The First Kage Summit - Formation of UN
Rin Becoming the Three-Tails Jinchuruki - ??? Forced suicide bombing idk
Kirigakure's Manipulation by the Uchiha - Insert any occasion when bigger nations put puppet rulers in charge of a MENA country
The Formation of Amegakure's Akatsuki - Formation of Taliban
The Hyuga Affair - ??? I know something similar to this but i believe most people on earth does not know it.
The Uchiha Clan Massacre - Insert any massacare that targets minoraties based on "they are traitors" rhetoric. Ex. deportation of Crimean Tatars due to a supposed collab with nazis
The Konoha Crush - Invasion of somewhere
The Five Kage Summit - Any other UN summit
The Next-Gen Five Kage Summit - Eurovision

To answer it, my fave if Hyuuga affair. Not because i like the "moral of the story", becuase either way Hizashi would be sacrificed and he had no other choice, but author constantly portrayed submission to royalty/fate as a positivity while also trying to force a "fight your destiny" mentality which i found interesting that how sht rolled like this for hundrers of chapters.

Reactions: Chie and Claymantan

Chie

Elite
Kin
5💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Oops XD

Well, I edited the post above to include Danzo's role. That does kind of make me lean more towards the Formation of Amegakure's Akatsuki; it's sad how in spite of their ideals, virtually everyone was manipulating them to their own ends, and gave not a single damn about having true peace in Amegakure.
Given how many people got screwed over in this series, it makes me feel like there wasn't true justice for many.

I get that it's hard to get justice for ninjas, but still. Just makes me feel a certain way. :/

Claymantan

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

The Formation of Konohagakure - Building of nation states in 19th-20th centuries
Kirigakure's Manipulation by the Uchiha - Insert any occasion when bigger nations put puppet rulers in charge of a MENA country
The Hyuga Affair - ??? I know something similar to this but i believe most people on earth does not know it.
The Uchiha Clan Massacre - Insert any massacare that targets minoraties based on "they are traitors" rhetoric. Ex. deportation of Crimean Tatars due to a supposed collab with nazis

To answer it, my fave if Hyuuga affair. Not because i like the "moral of the story", becuase either way Hizashi would be sacrificed and he had no other choice, but author constantly portrayed submission to royalty/fate as a positivity while also trying to force a "fight your destiny" mentality which i found interesting that how sht rolled like this for hundrers of chapters.
I think Akatsuki might be more comparable to something like the formation of Hamas. But I like the idea of comparing these incidents to real-world events.

Eurovision is way more hostile than the Next-Gen Five Kage Summit though xD

Given how many people got screwed over in this series, it makes me feel like there wasn't true justice for many.

I get that it's hard to get justice for ninjas, but still. Just makes me feel a certain way. :/
I mean, even if they're ninjas, it's not the same thing as like, real-world militaries in wartime. They're still also citizens/sometimes civilians in their own way; I don't think Kishimoto was trying to portray ninja villages as solely militaristic. They have families and kids living in the villages too, and there are occupations besides being a ninja. The Ame Orphans were...orphans, so it's not like they would have been ninja except for having been trained by Jiraiya. It's grey. Which is nice.

Ansatsuken

Supreme
Kin
4,798💸
Kumi
649💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards

@ It hard for me to relate it with each other XD

Bcus forcing Rin to be a Jin will not lead to death. Suicide bombing is different story. It more toward believe bcus people around the word were familiar with what kind of parties or people would do such thing

Chie

Elite
Kin
5💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
@ It hard for me to relate it with each other XD

Bcus forcing Rin to be a Jin will not lead to death. Suicide bombing is different story. It more toward believe bcus people around the word were familiar with what kind of parties or people would do such thing
In a sense, it is like a suicide bombing (not her actual death by Kakashi's hand) because as soon as she'd get to her destination, she believed the seal would weaken enough for the tailed beast to be released and wreak havoc. It would have led to the deaths of many, herself included.

Though, I guess it's not exactly suicide (if that plan had been achieved) as she wouldn't have been controlling the weapon "herself"- it would have been Madara's fault since it was all his plan and he was manipulating it all.

I mean, even if they're ninjas, it's not the same thing as like, real-world militaries in wartime. They're still also citizens/sometimes civilians in their own way; I don't think Kishimoto was trying to portray ninja villages as solely militaristic. They have families and kids living in the villages too, and there are occupations besides being a ninja. The Ame Orphans were...orphans, so it's not like they would have been ninja except for having been trained by Jiraiya. It's grey. Which is nice.
Well, I can't disagree with that. Or the rest of this post. :lol

Last edited:

-PK-

Veteran
Kin
797💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Formation of Amegakure's Akatsuki.
Ame orphans meant no ill to anyone yet were betrayed and used by everyone.
Feel really bad for those 3.
Kinda like in real life, when someone steps up to do good, ones in power crush them.

Last edited: