Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
The full article and source is but I will highlight the important parts:

Prime Minister Tony Abbott says searchers are "hopeful but by no means certain" that a pulse signal detected by a Chinese ship in the Indian Ocean is related to missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370.

Mr Abbott has urged caution following the most recent finding in a trail of disappointing leads to date.

"We need to be very careful about coming to hard and fast conclusions too soon," he said.

"This is the most difficult search in human history. We are searching for an aircraft which is at the bottom of a very deep ocean and it is a very, very wide search area."

Retired Air Chief Marshal Angus Houston, who is leading the international search effort, said the pulse signals are characteristic of an aircraft black box.

"I have been advised that a series of sounds have been detected by a Chinese ship in the search area," he said in a statement this morning.

"The characteristics reported are consistent with the aircraft black box.

"A number of white objects were also sighted on the surface about 90 kilometres from the detection area.

"However, there is no confirmation at this stage that the signals and the objects are related to the missing aircraft."

The vessel Haixun 01 picked up the signal for about 90 seconds using a black box detector, China's Xinhua news agency reported.

The agency said the signal had a frequency of 37.5 kilohertz - the same as those emitted by flight recorders.

It said the signal was detected at about 25 degrees south latitude and 101 degrees east longitude, in the search zone about 2,000km off the West Australian coast.

Air Chief Marshal Houston says the Australian Maritime Safety Authority's Rescue Coordination Centre (RCC) has spoken to the RCC in China and asked for any further information that may be relevant.

"The deployment of RAAF assets to the area where the Chinese ship detected the sounds is being considered," he said.
Location of pulse detected by Chinese ship Infographic: The reported location of a pulse signal detected by a Chinese vessel in the search for signs of flight MH370. (Google Maps)

The black box is equipped with a locator beacon that transmits "pings" when underwater, but which only has an expected battery life of about 30 days. The Boeing 777 went missing on March 8.

Anish Patel, from the company Dukane Seacom, which produces the detection system for black box recorders, says the signals picked up by the Chinese ship are unlikely to be from anything other than a black box.

"There is very little in nature or in the background noise of the ocean that emits this frequency, so unless it is another vehicle or other beacon in the vicinity, which I really doubt in this part of the ocean, this is a positive sign," he said.

Foreign Minister Julie Bishop shares Mr Abbott's concerns, saying she does not want to raise false hopes.

"We are seeking more information from the Chinese vessel and from the Chinese authorities about it, so until such time as Angus Houston confirms it, I would say we should be very cautious about this information," she told the ABC's Insiders program.
This is by far the most promising lead we have so far, considering MH370's black box is very close to running out of battery. MH370 was reported missing on the 8th of March and the blackbox can only transmit pings for about 30 days after a crash. It's now the 6th of April. Props to the crew who are working endlessly in the search for the missing plane.

Last edited:
Reactions: Snape Uchiha

OMGitsShakra

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I hope this is real this time. My heart just hurts for the families involved. Nothing would be worst than not knowing what happened!

I know I am probably underestimating the problem...but i still find it hard to believe outta like 5 countries, with expert military, oceanographers, and satellite peoples and all this intelligence...yet we have nothing on what happened a month later. With those many parties searching, over the course of a month...it seems like SOMEONE somewhere would have noticed something in this last month...some giant white piece of plane wing or propeller or something! On the other hand, if the people where taken hostage (which i doubt) we could have located them via cellphone signals or the plane via signal or satellite or something.

I hope i am wrong but i just sense something fishy about this.

Reactions: DoubleKamui
Status
Not open for further replies.