LOK vs ATLA

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Question for you guys: so, I really liked ATLA. Thought that concept was very unique and while there were plot points I disagreed with, of course, overall I was impressed. I read a brief synopsis of LOK, just to see what kind of universe it is. To me, it sounds very strange and I'm not sure it's as good as ATLA. I really don't want to invest the time to watch it if it is not as good as ATLA. So, is it?

RedRobin

Legendary
Kin
5💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I liked both equally. LOK has darker themes and is less playful than ATLA but it still has its fun moments. The villains in LOK are really well developed.

I would definitely give LOK a try. You are lucky you have 4 books to watch, I wish I had more books to watch.

Last edited:

Bad Touch Yakushi

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
TLA is probably a better balanced series but it's very much an adventure. One big adventure that starts out fun but the stakes rise VERY highly.

Korra goes much much deeper and is less black & white that it's predecessor, the villains all acting as metaphors for different versions of peace. It's about the Avatar coming to terms with what true peace really is. It has a couple hiccups but I think went a lot further, more interesting and exciting.

IKSOKRIPS

Elite
Kin
39💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Of course it's good. . . it's awesome! :cool:

It was done by the same guys. The animation is better. Is it worth watching? Such a question does not cross my mind. . . although the ending caught me off guard. . . :erm:

In the end, I do find "The Last Airbender" more exciting/entertaining. :yeah:

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Pardon my ignorance, but from the glimpse I gathered from reading, it seems like the benders got random powerups. I know that there are some people (no names) that can bend metal, but Toph was pretty much a genius for figuring that out. I guess LOK doesn't come across as "special" as ATLA, if that makes sense.

RedRobin

Legendary
Kin
5💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Pardon my ignorance, but from the glimpse I gathered from reading, it seems like the benders got random powerups. I know that there are some people (no names) that can bend metal, but Toph was pretty much a genius for figuring that out. I guess LOK doesn't come across as "special" as ATLA, if that makes sense.
Its been 70 years. Toph taught a lot of people how to metal bend.

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I liked both equally. LOK has darker themes and is less playful than ATLA but it still has its fun moments. The villains in LOK are really well developed.

I would definitely give LOK a try. You are lucky you have 4 books to watch, I wish I had more books to watch.
With as minor spoilers as possible, how are there four books? I know that Korra starts out knowing how to bending water, earth, and fire (which strikes me as rather dull, what's the challenge) but has to learn air. ATLA broke up the books in an obvious way, but that only allowed for three, which was sad. How are the books in LOK divided? If that's a huge spoiler, then I'd rather not know.

IKSOKRIPS

Elite
Kin
39💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Toph wasn't special, just nobody knew that metalbending was possible until she did it. . . I can say other stuff too, but I can spoil some things from "The Legend of Korra" and the comics.

PaperHERO

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
It's a good show, but not as great as ATLA.

The first Book for LOK was great. Kicked off the series very well.
Second book got weird AF. Fken Spiritual Ultraman battle. WTF.
Third book was AWESOME. It had very unique antagonists.
Fourth book was okay. It wasn't as good as the Third Book, but it was definitely better than the second book.

Unlike ATLA where it is a comedy, action-adventure, drama with a simple, central plot
LOK is more of a drama with a a different plot per book.

Korra's a frustrating Avatar to watch after seeing how Aang deals with things. She's wreckless, hard-headed, and cocky. You'll come to love this side character named Varrick more than Korra.

RedRobin

Legendary
Kin
5💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
With as minor spoilers as possible, how are there four books? I know that Korra starts out knowing how to bending water, earth, and fire (which strikes me as rather dull, what's the challenge) but has to learn air. ATLA broke up the books in an obvious way, but that only allowed for three, which was sad. How are the books in LOK divided? If that's a huge spoiler, then I'd rather not know.
Air, Spirits, Change, Balance

Those are the main themes of each book in a way.

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Alright, I think this answers my questions. I guess I expected a difference like Part 1 and Shippuuden whereas this almost seems like a new concept, but within the same universe. I'll give watching it a shot, I've been convinced!

Power Bottom

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
ATLA has more character development and skill was praised more imo. I feel ATLA has overall better attention to the chracters in the show

LOK has a better plot imo the story is more interesting and we saw all the nations and how they grown over the years. Plus LOK has more drama so that is a plus

They are both equally good. Both have their strong points

arv993

Elite
Kin
193💸
Kumi
2💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
the series is good and the villains are good. but and this a big one the main character sucks her development is not consistent and her personality is annoying. and the supporting main charcters in their version of team avatar are not nearly up to ATLA standards. overall good story and villains especially but much inferior to ATLA in other ways.

Bad Touch Yakushi

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
the series is good and the villains are good. but and this a big one the main character sucks her development is not consistent and her personality is annoying. and the supporting main charcters in their version of team avatar are not nearly up to ATLA standards. overall good story and villains especially but much inferior to ATLA in other ways.
Blasphemy. :rage:

Early Aang is definitely more annoying. Korra is a genuine girl, one with a heavy weight on her back and a big shadow to live up to.

arv993

Elite
Kin
193💸
Kumi
2💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Blasphemy. :rage:

Early Aang is definitely more annoying. Korra is a genuine girl, one with a heavy weight on her back and a big shadow to live up to.
well its opinion but there is a reason why LOK is not nearly what ATLA was in terms of popularity and that was due to the fact that almost everybody likes the main characters in ATLA in LOK not so much.

and its funny when the creators have to go to comic con and tell the haters to shut it when talking about korra, she is not the most well received character.

aang grew to be very well liked and didnt have stupid romance bs like korra does in all of s1

Last edited:

Bad Touch Yakushi

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
well its opinion but there is a reason why LOK is not nearly what ATLA was in terms of popularity and that was due to the fact that almost everybody likes the main characters in ATLA in LOK not so much.

and its funny when the creators have to go to comic con and tell the haters to shut it when talking about korra, she is not the most well received characters.
Of course, everything subjective but just because she's not a fan favourite doesn't mean she's not an expertly written character. She's incredibly popular and loved by tumblr, reddit etc. It's the teen demographic expecting shonen hero qualities like the people here do for Naruto that don't respect her as much. Seen the words 'stupid feminist icon' , 'complains' and 'too headstrong' used against her....as if....that's not all done purposely as her character develops. It's the stereotypical manbeard and teenage boy demographics who start the slamming at cons.

People forget Aang had the same thing in the early days too. Up until mid-Book 2 he can be extremely irritable, I never had a problem personally but it made a lot of people feel alienated, feeling like they're watching an exclusively kids show. Of course, we later know this to not be true as when he loses Appa and comes to terms with killing the Firelord that he's capable of mature emotion too- but without that early immaturity you don't have the character development.

arv993

Elite
Kin
193💸
Kumi
2💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Of course, everything subjective but just because she's not a fan favourite doesn't mean she's not an expertly written character. She's incredibly popular and loved by tumblr, reddit etc. It's the teen demographic expecting shonen hero qualities like the people here do for Naruto that don't respect her as much. Seen the words 'stupid feminist icon' , 'complains' and 'too headstrong' used against her....as if....that's not all done purposely as her character develops. It's the stereotypical manbeard and teenage boy demographics who start the slamming at cons.

People forget Aang had the same thing in the early days too. Up until mid-Book 2 he can be extremely irritable, I never had a problem personally but it made a lot of people feel alienated, feeling like they're watching an exclusively kids show. Of course, we later know this to not be true as when he loses Appa and comes to terms with killing the Firelord that he's capable of mature emotion too- but without that early immaturity you don't have the character development.
yea its not just NB korra has many critiques across the board and was overall less liked(kotaku, forbes being a few i remember) where as aang was the face of western animation at one point and still is. ATLA is mainly a kids show, aang was not that irritable the show won many awards in the beginning and he was liked ever since ppl saw how he lost his whole race was wiped out and his early story got ppl hooked on him.

she is not expertly written she literally forgets what she learned every other season, overestimates herself a lot and until season 4 she doesn't learn some of her major flaws from previous seasons. she is continously stubborn and is rebellious it gets old, and she made so many self inficted mistakes due to it. ppl love strong characters like toph and katara but korra was way more annoying and im not only one who thinks it scores of articles from decent sources had that complaint. she has a reset in every new season where she goes back to being almost exactly the same character until season 4. And her relationships in this show are absolutely toxic, they make the show cringeworthy there is a reason why so many fans dropped out and was one of biggest flaws in season 1. The villains are truly the best part of this show.

its annoying when kids like katara in ATLA have more emotional intelligence and continually grow and dont generally revert but this was the biggest flaw with korra.

the writers pandered a lot too i dont want to spoil some parts but the last scenes was nothing more than that. and idk why but comedy went downhill in LOK. sokka by himself better than all of LOK together.

dont get me wrong overall its still one of the best american animations but compared to ATLA it was a step down its nothing to do with korra being a girl but just the way this show was executed.

Last edited: