Banned
Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
An Oregon judge has awarded Lesbian couple Rachel and Laurel Bowman-Cryer $135,000 for “emotional damages” in a lawsuit against Aaron and Melissa Klein of Sweet Cakes Bakery. They are a Christian couple who declined to provide a wedding cake to the same-*** couple in 2013.

In their lawsuit, the two women claimed they felt “mentally raped,” as part of a list of 88 symptoms of emotional distress they experienced at being refused a cake.

The long list of symptoms included “acute loss of confidence,” “doubt,” “excessive sleep,” “felt mentally raped, dirty and shameful,” “high blood pressure,” “impaired digestion,” “loss of appetite,” “migraine headaches,” “pale and sick at home after work,” “resumption of smoking habit,” “shock,” “stunned,” “surprise,” “uncertainty,” “weight gain” and “worry.”

The judge apparently found it unremarkable that “loss of appetite” and “impaired digestion” should lead to “weight gain.”

“[T]he forum concludes that $75,000 and $60,000, are appropriate awards to compensate for the emotional suffering they experienced,” wrote Alan McCullough, administrative law judge for Oregon’s Bureau of Labor and Industries, in his proposed order.

The award will reportedly bankrupt the seven-member Klein family and force Sweet Cakes by Melissa Bakery to shut down. The Kleins’ lawyer, Anna Harmon, said that the damages awarded were not limited to the sale of business assets, but would be taken out of their personal funds.

“The important thing to realize is this,” Harmon said, “This is real money that Aaron and Melissa are going to have to pay that otherwise would be used to pay their mortgage and feed their kids.”

How do you feel about this?

Kurama2012

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
what the hell i dont condone the refusal of service based on a persons sexuality but sueing them for mental rape i never knew something like that was a thing

ANiMUS

Supreme
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Bunch of drama and trying to ruin good working ppl's lives over nothing. I feel kinda sorry for the bakers that they never thought of putting up a right to refuse service disclaimer. :|

Last edited:

SilverfoxUchiha

Veteran
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
So whilst you have people living in poverty, some unable to even buy food within society, and the government stealing from the vulnerable - you get this ridiculous lesbian couple being paid out all this money for some BS claim of mental rape... just because they got refused a cake?? .....

makes sense...

another thing i'd like to add... why is it that these lesbian and gay couples always demand their right to freedom of expression.. free speech.. the right to live as they choose.... yet they bombard and cascade anyone who disagrees with their life choice? Isn't it the persons freedom of expression to abide by the rules of their faith? if the Christian couple sees Marriage as a sacrament then its their prerogative not to provide the cake to the couple.

Oh well... those ******es laughing.

$135,000 ..... ridiculous.

.....and i bet they were butch aswell. annoying.

Reactions: Yusuke Urameshi

Yusuke Urameshi

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
This is what society has come to. I bet that if they were a normal couple, nothing would have happened.

And is Sweet Cakes the only bakery in the vicinity? Doubtful. Those lesbians are pathetic. And now the owners' lives are potentially ruined. That story is incredibly sad, in more than one way.

Punk Hazard

Immortal
Kin
1,664💸
Kumi
11,569💴
Trait Points
50⚔️
This is what society has come to. I bet that if they were a normal couple, nothing would have happened.

And is Sweet Cakes the only bakery in the vicinity? Doubtful. Those lesbians are pathetic. And now the owners' lives are potentially ruined. That story is incredibly sad, in more than one way.
Do you mean normal as in straight?

OT: Both sides are pretty shitty, but lesbians take the cake on this one. Yeah, they suck for being homophobic, and while reading this, I could kind of understand how being denied the service due to their homosexuality could put a damper in their mood and esteem in this day and age, but to this extent? Nope, it's just a cake, it's not like you were denied major rights or your entire wedding. Bankrupting these people over a cake? That's low.

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I read about this, but I hadn't heard about the 'mental rape' thing at all. Wow. I mean, **** those bakers, they even tried to use GoFundMe to fund their hatred (Blamed satan when it was shut down, lol), but ahhh... these women shouldn't have compared this to rape.

In the scheme of things, being a bigot is way worse than this, but that doesn't make it okay.

NineSNS

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
It's a shame that too frequently in the US, people seek a financial solution to a moral problem.

Punishing the bakery with a fine does nothing to stop the hate. It only gives the bakery a "victim" status and gains support for their hate mongering behavior.