chopstickchakra

Legendary
Kin
4,684💸
Kumi
129💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I was just reading the wikia on Oden to see if there was mention of how Orochi got rid of him that I couldn't remember but in doing so I noticed it said "he was with Roger to Laugh Tale" I was like, what's Laugh Tale? So I clicked it and the wikia page for Raftel has been renamed Laugh Tale. I checked the reference on the Laugh Tale page and it says " , Laugh Tale is romanized on an . "

This made me think of early Luffy and Laboon etc. spellings and their romanized names had "R" and so does Raftel's. So my question is do you think it's supposed to be Laugh Tale or Raftel? Also do you think there's a meaning behind the name Laugh Tale and if so how so?

The only other time I've seen this mentioned is in a thread from Whistleblower about an interview Oda did in August and no one mentioned it then(including me). Curious how many have heard this and what they think will be the end result.

Caliburn

Supreme
Kin
2,805💸
Kumi
525💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Lol, I had the exact same experience a few days ago. I was browsing the OP wiki and came across the hyperlink 'Laugh Tale' and I was thinking wth is this till it dawned to me that it was Raftel.

I don't know why they suddenly wrote it differently after so many years. Considering we've been saying Raftel for decades I find it a bit pointless to change it regardless of whether it's supposed to be Laugh Tale or not. Personally I also prefer the former over the latter. Only if the alternative name would be used multiple times in a short time period I would consider changing.

chopstickchakra

Legendary
Kin
4,684💸
Kumi
129💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
If it was Romanized as Laugh Tale, then it’s Laugh Tale
That's why I'm kind of unsure. The wikia "romanized name" part still says "Rafuteru"
Japanese Name:
ラフテル
Romanized Name:
Rafuteru
English Name:
Raftel

But Luffy's Romanized had the R and the "Official English" had the L
Japanese Name:
モンキー・Dディー・ルフィ
Romanized Name:
Monkī Dī Rufi
Official English Name:
Monkey D. Luffy

It says it's written in English on the new movie as Laugh Tale which would make me think that's the "official English" not "Romanized" but I'm not 100% sure on that. Was just curious if people thought there might be some connection to the last island and laughing. I also thought maybe it was Laughtel like Laugh 'til, until the end, and Roger smiled at his end idk I know I'm reaching here.

Punk Hazard

Immortal
Kin
1,664💸
Kumi
11,569💴
Trait Points
50⚔️
That's why I'm kind of unsure. The wikia "romanized name" part still says "Rafuteru"
Japanese Name:
ラフテル
Romanized Name:
Rafuteru
English Name:
Raftel

But Luffy's Romanized had the R and the "Official English" had the L
Japanese Name:
モンキー・Dディー・ルフィ
Romanized Name:
Monkī Dī Rufi
Official English Name:
Monkey D. Luffy

It says it's written in English on the new movie as Laugh Tale which would make me think that's the "official English" not "Romanized" but I'm not 100% sure on that. Was just curious if people thought there might be some connection to the last island and laughing. I also thought maybe it was Laughtel like Laugh 'til, until the end, and Roger smiled at his end idk I know I'm reaching here.
I think it’s more so that the Romanization “Rafteru” is meant to spell Laugh Tale in English, like how Rufi is meant to spell Luffy

chopstickchakra

Legendary
Kin
4,684💸
Kumi
129💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
According to the leaked spoilers, the giant straw hat we saw back in the Levely arc belongs to a man named Laugh D. Tale
I can't tell if this is legit or not but I could see it. Interested to see where this goes because it seems clear now there's a connection between this last islands name and D's smiling at death(Luffy Roger Ace etc.)

Reactions: Passerby

WhistleBlower

Supreme
Kin
4,460💸
Kumi
1,041💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I think in between the name change transaltation and spelling it out , it's been changed to Laugh Tale. I personally would prefer to call it Raftel. Until it's said or written couple of more times I ain't changing saying raftel lol