Is the Black Clover anime doomed already?

Valhalla

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
[video=youtube_share;Vcd9tZ51oXg]https://youtu.be/Vcd9tZ51oXg[/video]

With all the energy and hype that has surrounded the manga I thought the anime was a can't miss. I mean the manga has survived being called a Naruto X FT rip off for gods sake. If it can pull threw that what else could derail it?

But then the episode premiered and the voice actor for Asta did such an unusual and weird job portraying the character with his many cringe worthy screams. Causing many people to say they hated it and calling it unwatchable. Heck even i will be waiting for the Dub in a few weeks. SO...

Is the anime doomed to fail because of this?

Can the Dub do a better job with the material?

LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THOUGHT.

uhmusddy

Veteran
Kin
38💸
Kumi
15💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Rise of the Dub!

But nah it's only super bad because it's back to back in this video.

& If so can survive Goku Japanese voice, I can survive anything

Reactions: BLAZE

Avani

Supreme
Kin
5,412💸
Kumi
480💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
It does sound bad - good thing I rarely watch anime. Still wait for the dub or to watch episode yourself. Fanboy love and haters both can exaggerate to make things look way differently than intended. And about the dub doing better job- depends on the voice actors and sometimes they can make it better because they dub to suit local diction of words.

It survives being Naruto copycat accusation because it still has it's own flavour with interest original characters after all. There can be different spider-man trilogies, so there can be different takes on stories somewhat similar to Naruto.

Last edited:

Caliburn

Supreme
Kin
2,805💸
Kumi
525💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Isn't this just a language barrier? I mean these people who called it unwatchable are these non-native Japanese people like us? Frankly this kind of voice isn't that unusual in anime, so if the Japanese audience isn't bothered by it, then this is kind of a non-issue as they're still the primary market. For foreign markets you get dubbed versions.

Valhalla

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Isn't this just a language barrier? I mean these people who called it unwatchable are these non-native Japanese people like us? Frankly this kind of voice isn't that unusual in anime, so if the Japanese audience isn't bothered by it, then this is kind of a non-issue as they're still the primary market. For foreign markets you get dubbed versions.
I 100% agree with you that of it works on Japan then it's not a big deal to the overall market. But they have said they are going to push BC to be the next Naruto. Of it wants to be that then I feel like the Japanese voices matter overall.

milkydean

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Who are gonna doom BC?The ones who watch it for free and the rant in the forums?It's gonna be flop only if Japanese audiences reject it.Nothing anyone says on internet is gonna matter anyways.

Azu

Elite
Kin
279💸
Kumi
114💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Asta's voice actor Kajiwara Gakuto is relatively inexperienced considering that he appeared in only one anime before BC. However, I think he has really nice voice and I mean, nice seiyuu voice; If you visit his profile you can listen to his voice acting portfolio.

And to be honest, I really like the crispness of his voice when he is playing Asta, I think it's really compatibile with the character. The only thing that is a problem, a huge problem, is that he screams 95% of his entire dialogue. I mean, all shounen characters scream, but this is just plain ridiculous.

If you are familiar with anime production you know that chief director and sound director are responsible for giving instructions to voice actors about their performace, so I see this type of acting as just another tool for character development... Sounds fishy, I know...

+ You know, at the end of the day, one needs to be reminded who is target audience for this anime.

Hexuze

Supreme
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
There's no language barrier for a screaming voice. I saw a lot of dislike on 2ch and overall Japanese audience share the same view on the voice acting. It's annoying. Also, to my knowledge this voice actor isn't that well experienced. The backlog sales for the manga have only been able to reach the few thousands.

Avani

Supreme
Kin
5,412💸
Kumi
480💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
There's no language barrier for a screaming voice. I saw a lot of dislike on 2ch and overall Japanese audience share the same view on the voice acting. It's annoying. Also, to my knowledge this voice actor isn't that well experienced. The backlog sales for the manga have only been able to reach the few thousands.
Likes & dislikes on fan sites should be taken with a grain of salt. There are always a whole lot of biased people in fan groups along with the ones who act like sheep and are just following the loud crowd, in order to score quick points. It's best if people watch series on their own and make up their mind whether it works for them or not.

That said I checked out an episode- yeah I don't like his screaming either. It kind of ruins the experience for me despite animation otherwise being fine. Maybe it will improve with time as the series goes on. I will wait for dubbed version hopefully with a better voice actor.

They should take care of voice actor and ask him to improve since backgrounds art is nice:

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

Hexuze

Supreme
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Likes & dislikes on fan sites should be taken with a grain of salt. There are always a whole lot of biased people in fan groups along with the ones who act like sheep and are just following the loud crowd, in order to score quick points. It's best if people watch series on their own and make up their mind whether it works for them or not.

That said I checked out an episode- yeah I don't like his screaming either. It kind of ruins the experience for me despite animation otherwise being fine. Maybe it will improve with time as the series goes on. I will wait for dubbed version hopefully with a better voice actor.

They should take care of voice actor and ask him to improve since backgrounds art is nice:
While the voice actor is inexperienced, I heard that the screaming is also present in the manga so I'm not sure what to blame.

Bad Touch Yakushi

Legendary
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
And I thought Part 1 Naruto was obnoxious to watch...Black Clover literally punches it's audience in the face with the screaming. Pretty fair criticism.

It's just a series that's coming out 10 years too late to try compete with the Big 3 in that era. It's carried the 10 year old cliches with it too.

Avani

Supreme
Kin
5,412💸
Kumi
480💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
While the voice actor is inexperienced, I heard that the screaming is also present in the manga so I'm not sure what to blame.

Yeah he is loud and screams, but it should reduce with time as Asta gains more confidence and people around him are not trying to put him down all the time, so he doesn't need to drown their voices. Or maybe he is just one of those people who keep talking on high pitch out of habit anyway.

But at least part of it is very likely because of language/cultural barrier since we are unfamiliar with the different localized tones and accents of people from different backgrounds, combined with inexperienced voice actor. Because complaints about shrill character from animes is quite common outside but in Japan they are still using it anyway.

Edit: Caught up with all 4 episodes. Second was already better as it had much less screaming unlike the first one which seem to compile them. People need to stop being impatient.

Last edited:

Hexuze

Supreme
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Yeah he is loud and screams, but it should reduce with time as Asta gains more confidence and people around him are not trying to put him down all the time, so he doesn't need to drown their voices. Or maybe he is just one of those people who keep talking on high pitch out of habit anyway.

But at least part of it is very likely because of language/cultural barrier since we are unfamiliar with the different localized tones and accents of people from different backgrounds, combined with inexperienced voice actor. Because complaints about shrill character from animes is quite common outside but in Japan they are still using it anyway.

Edit: Caught up with all 4 episodes. Second was already better as it had much less screaming unlike the first one which seem to compile them. People need to stop being impatient.
There is no language barrier for just pure screaming. I can scream obnoxiously while speaking my language and you'll find it annoying. There's little excuses for this.

Yeah...not feeling this shonen anime. I'll wait on Kimetsu No Yaiba or Yuragi's animes.

Kushina89

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
There is no language barrier for just pure screaming. I can scream obnoxiously while speaking my language and you'll find it annoying. There's little excuses for this.

Yeah...not feeling this shonen anime. I'll wait on Kimetsu No Yaiba or Yuragi's animes.
Stop with this bs dude..
we understand that you like kimetsu no yaiba (which isnt much different from the other shounen you say you dont like or call average), but that doesn give you the right to talk everything else as not worth picking up or spamming your advertisement about said series in every discussion that has nothing to do with it

Hexuze

Supreme
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Stop with this bs dude..
we understand that you like kimetsu no yaiba (which isnt much different from the other shounen you say you dont like or call average), but that doesn give you the right to talk everything else as not worth picking up or spamming your advertisement about said series in every discussion that has nothing to do with it
Still relevant in the context of the thread. How will BC be doomed? If it loses to the competition. What's BC's competition? Kimetsu No Yaiba.

The current state of WSJ isn't that strong in terms of battle shonens, let's see what we have: One Piece, MHA, Black Clover & Kimetsu no Yaiba. That's only 4, BC can never reach MHA's success given how lukewarm the reception is in Japan with only a few thousand sales in backlogs according to Oricon's charts. It also has an abysmal TV slot.

The only competition it has for battle shonen is Kimetsu No Yaiba which is catching up quickly without a heavy push & anime. What do you think will happen when BC is the least performing battle shonen in the magazine? It'll eventually drop in rankings, a lot fewer color pages/magazine covers and eventually the anime will get axed. Sure there may be other new battle shonens by that time but this isn't looking that well for it's longevity. I won't go as far to say it's completely doomed.

You should've called me out for mentioning Yuragi but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ . Actually Kimetsu is different than most shonens in recent years, it's refreshing. It isnt the best in the magazine atm but definitely a lot better than BC.

Last edited:

Avani

Supreme
Kin
5,412💸
Kumi
480💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Still relevant in the context of the thread. How will BC be doomed? If it loses to the competition. What's BC's competition? Kimetsu No Yaiba.

The current state of WSJ isn't that strong in terms of battle shonens, let's see what we have: One Piece, MHA, Black Clover & Kimetsu no Yaiba. That's only 4, BC can never reach MHA's success given how lukewarm the reception is in Japan with only a few thousand sales in backlogs according to Oricon's charts. It also has an abysmal TV slot.

The only competition it has for battle shonen is Kimetsu No Yaiba which is catching up quickly without a heavy push & anime. What do you think will happen when BC is the least performing battle shonen in the magazine? It'll eventually drop in rankings, a lot fewer color pages/magazine covers and eventually the anime will get axed. Sure there may be other new battle shonens by that time but this isn't looking that well for it's longevity. I won't go as far to say it's completely doomed.

You should've called me out for mentioning Yuragi but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ . Actually Kimetsu is different than most shonens in recent years, it's refreshing. It isnt the best in the magazine atm but definitely a lot better than BC.
No Hexuze. What you are trying to do now is hammering your negativity on Black clover while promoting your personal favourite series in this scetion. And it's not first time you brought in that series when someone was talking about BC.

Being different than most shonnens is just fine but in Kimetsu MC is trying to cure his sister who became an oni on the night he was not home to save his family. For that he becomes a hunter himself while looking for cure. FMA MC had some similar journey- Edward starting his journey to cure his brother and himself ( more for his brother since he felt he was responsible for his condition) . It's story execution reminds me of Bleach. So it's different but not like it doesn't have any similarity with any other manga ever. It's also heavy on narration -Using diary writing for narration. Don't get me wrong- It's engaging and art is not bad either. But it's not that catchy or deep or unique as you present it.

On the other hand one may call BC generic but it's not how common the elements are but how you use them; it's more interesting in it's execution than rather monotonous style of Kimetsu no yakiba, has wider world building, more fleshed out side characters and details and more interesting villains, plus it's art is dynamic and pleasing to the eyes.

It's ironic when people who for long had told others to give some other shows/manga a chance telling them to reach till 15 arc at least before deciding, are crapping over BC just after first episode. Or to be precise even from before the first episode came out. It may or may not work in Japan but there have been tons of series's that didn't work in there or in other countries while Pokemon keeps going.

However BC dubbed episode are coming out now and Asta doesn't shout that loudly in it. Or doesn't seem so because we can understand the words he is saying while screaming.

It seems the structure of the episode is also slightly different to not start it from the yelling beforehand. We will see how it goes but for now it was fun to watch different types of magics clashing. The first episode itself established that having not enough magic isn't the only drawback people face. Being a good magician too carries enough risks because of cut throat competition, and under handed tactics to supersede others and reach to the top. Meaning a lot of conflicts and fights. It should be fun while it lasts if the anime fights properly, even if it's a short series.

Last edited: