Is the Black Clover anime doomed already?

Hexuze

Supreme
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
No Hexuze. What you are trying to do now is hammering your negativity on Black clover while promoting your personal favourite series in this scetion. And it's not first time you brought in that series when someone was talking about BC.

Being different than most shonnens is just fine but in Kimetsu MC is trying to cure his sister who became an oni on the night he was not home to save his family. For that he becomes a hunter himself while looking for cure. FMA MC had some similar journey- Edward starting his journey to cure his brother and himself ( more for his brother since he felt he was responsible for his condition) . It's story execution reminds me of Bleach. So it's different but not like it doesn't have any similarity with any other manga ever. It's also heavy on narration -Using diary writing for narration. Don't get me wrong- It's engaging and art is not bad either. But it's not that catchy or deep or unique as you present it.

On the other hand one may call BC generic but it's not how common the elements are but how you use them; it's more interesting in it's execution than rather monotonous style of Kimetsu no yakiba, has wider world building, more fleshed out side characters and details and more interesting villains, plus it's art is dynamic and pleasing to the eyes.

It's ironic when people who for long had told others to give some other shows/manga a chance telling them to reach till 15 arc at least before deciding, are crapping over BC just after first episode. Or to be precise even from before the first episode came out. It may or may not work in Japan but there have been tons of series's that didn't work in there or in other countries while Pokemon keeps going.

However BC dubbed episode are coming out now and Asta doesn't shout that loudly in it. Or doesn't seem so because we can understand the words he is saying while screaming.

It seems the structure of the episode is also slightly different to not start it from the yelling beforehand. We will see how it goes but for now it was fun to watch different types of magics clashing. The first episode itself established that having not enough magic isn't the only drawback people face. Being a good magician too carries enough risks because of cut throat competition, and under handed tactics to supersede others and reach to the top. Meaning a lot of conflicts and fights. It should be fun while it lasts if the anime fights properly, even if it's a short series.
Yes Selene. Well when you're in a forum site that have little knowledge how WSJ works, it's best to hammer this down so you don't get idiots saying "Black Clover is part of the big 3!" or even worse, "Black Clover is the successor to Naruto". I did the exact same when MHA was airing so don't get sensitive over this, despite me enjoying MHA.

Also, it's good to know how it's doing in terms of backlog/TV ratings since that's one of the factors that decides if there's going to be a sequel. The thread in of itself is "negative" since it's questioning if the series is doomed or not so ofc there will be negativity. If I really wanted to "negative" about this I would've ragged on it more for not offering a lot to the table, instead of focusing on the numbers/success.

I don't see how saying, "I'll wait on Kimetsu No Yaiba or Yuragi's animes." is considered promotion when KnY/YnY are the only 2 new series that are close on BC's sales (TPN has far surpassed it). If I truly wanted to promote it, I could've drawn examples of the manga speaking about how much better written it is, but I didn't. It just so happens that KnY/YnY are my fav's and they're competing with BC.

FMA is part of shonen Gangan and KnY don't share a lot of similarities. A "different series" can have it's similarities, that's fine, so long as it has it's own execution and isn't heavily based off another series. KnY has it's own distinct feel to it and the art really captures the gritty mood of the series. BC just feels like I'm watching/reading a template of a typical shonen title.

I didn't claim it was deep but it's narrations are something rather unique. Not many shonens utilize this narration approach. The presentation of the manga is one that's to be praised I would say. Wider world-building? Well ofc, the series are structured in 2 completely different ways, with "wide world building" playing in BC's favor. I would say KnY has a smaller scope but the world building is more fleshed out. If it's not catchy, how would the large growth be explained? The growth that KnY experienced is quite rare especially when the sales were abysmal with the first volume. Subjective...I guess.

Well you can't expect people not to criticize something after the first episode. Some people did stick with it but only dropped it after the filler that happened. Again with this "language barrier" non-sense? If Asta screams loud, regardless of language we'll notice it. Screaming has no language barrier lmao, stop defending it that badly.

Last edited:

Caliburn

Supreme
Kin
2,805💸
Kumi
525💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
There's no language barrier for a screaming voice. I saw a lot of dislike on 2ch and overall Japanese audience share the same view on the voice acting. It's annoying. Also, to my knowledge this voice actor isn't that well experienced. The backlog sales for the manga have only been able to reach the few thousands.
While the voice actor is inexperienced, I heard that the screaming is also present in the manga so I'm not sure what to blame.
There is no language barrier for just pure screaming. I can scream obnoxiously while speaking my language and you'll find it annoying. There's little excuses for this.

Yeah...not feeling this shonen anime. I'll wait on Kimetsu No Yaiba or Yuragi's animes.
Still relevant in the context of the thread. How will BC be doomed? If it loses to the competition. What's BC's competition? Kimetsu No Yaiba.

The current state of WSJ isn't that strong in terms of battle shonens, let's see what we have: One Piece, MHA, Black Clover & Kimetsu no Yaiba. That's only 4, BC can never reach MHA's success given how lukewarm the reception is in Japan with only a few thousand sales in backlogs according to Oricon's charts. It also has an abysmal TV slot.

The only competition it has for battle shonen is Kimetsu No Yaiba which is catching up quickly without a heavy push & anime. What do you think will happen when BC is the least performing battle shonen in the magazine? It'll eventually drop in rankings, a lot fewer color pages/magazine covers and eventually the anime will get axed. Sure there may be other new battle shonens by that time but this isn't looking that well for it's longevity. I won't go as far to say it's completely doomed.

You should've called me out for mentioning Yuragi but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ . Actually Kimetsu is different than most shonens in recent years, it's refreshing. It isnt the best in the magazine atm but definitely a lot better than BC.
Yes Selene. Well when you're in a forum site that have little knowledge how WSJ works, it's best to hammer this down so you don't get idiots saying "Black Clover is part of the big 3!" or even worse, "Black Clover is the successor to Naruto". I did the exact same when MHA was airing so don't get sensitive over this, despite me enjoying MHA.

Also, it's good to know how it's doing in terms of backlog/TV ratings since that's one of the factors that decides if there's going to be a sequel. The thread in of itself is "negative" since it's questioning if the series is doomed or not so ofc there will be negativity. If I really wanted to "negative" about this I would've ragged on it more for not offering a lot to the table, instead of focusing on the numbers/success.

I don't see how saying, "I'll wait on Kimetsu No Yaiba or Yuragi's animes." is considered promotion when KnY/YnY are the only 2 new series that are close on BC's sales (TPN has far surpassed it). If I truly wanted to promote it, I could've drawn examples of the manga speaking about how much better written it is, but I didn't. It just so happens that KnY/YnY are my fav's and they're competing with BC.

FMA is part of shonen Gangan and KnY don't share a lot of similarities. A "different series" can have it's similarities, that's fine, so long as it has it's own execution and isn't heavily based off another series. KnY has it's own distinct feel to it and the art really captures the gritty mood of the series. BC just feels like I'm watching/reading a template of a typical shonen title.

I didn't claim it was deep but it's narrations are something rather unique. Not many shonens utilize this narration approach. The presentation of the manga is one that's to be praised I would say. Wider world-building? Well ofc, the series are structured in 2 completely different ways, with "wide world building" playing in BC's favor. I would say KnY has a smaller scope but the world building is more fleshed out. If it's not catchy, how would the large growth be explained? The growth that KnY experienced is quite rare especially when the sales were abysmal with the first volume. Subjective...I guess.

Well you can't expect people not to criticize something after the first episode. Some people did stick with it but only dropped it after the filler that happened. Again with this "language barrier" non-sense? If Asta screams loud, regardless of language we'll notice it. Screaming has no language barrier lmao, stop defending it that badly.
Dude, you keep saying that there is no language barrier, but there is. That's an objective fact which pretty much any person who watches anime frequently should be aware of to a certain degree.

Both Belgians and Dutchmen speak Dutch, however to a Belgian most Dutchmen appear to be extremely loud. We see that as a sign of arrogance, overconfidence and obnoxiousness, but for the Dutch themselves that's not the case. They are simply talking to each other. Even pure screaming can be interpreted differently, so yeah there is a language barrier here as screaming characters are extremely common in anime, I can hear them in my head right this very moment. I always had the impression that the Japanese associate such characters with energy, vitality and inspiration and it certainly is a common anime character archetype.

The only question that remains then is whether in Aster's case they're going a bit too far with it. But I reckon they have much more reliable ways in Japan to check this, considering the size of the manga/anime industry, than what you are bringing up here. If they don't make a big fuss about it in Japan, then there's no issue, however in the case this indeed seems to be a problem, well this is really not something that should be that hard to solve.

So that you keep denying this fact really is indicating you are being quite biased here in favor of the series you prefer. To be honest I have never even heard of this series you keep talking about, so I can't say anything about the quality and the contents and the like, but I do know the picture you drew here is nonsense.

Battle-shonen is quite a vague term. Even Shokugeki no Soma and Haikyuu can be described as battle-shonen as their stories are competitive by nature. Seriously these series didn't just got popular because of food and volleyball, but also because of the intense 'battles' that are in it. Also why would there be a problem with having multiple battle shonen? Bleach, Naruto and OP were serialized together for nearly two decades. Yet here you are picturing some kind of survival of the fittest scenario where either BC or KnY has to go and that BC is somehow losing despite that it's doing more than fine. This is absurd.

Screaming is not an issue in a mute medium like manga and I doubt many people are going to drop a series they like because of a screaming character in the anime adaption. So yeah it really appears that you are downplaying BC because you favor KnY. Seriously you talk about doom scenarios, anime being axed, losing to the competition...you are interpreting everything in regards to BC in a highly negative light, while for KnY you only see rainbows and sunshine despite the fact you could just as easily swap them. This thread was specifically about the anime, but somehow you seem to have forgotten that.

To be honest you remind me of certain HxH fans and their eternal hatred for Naruto.

And I thought Part 1 Naruto was obnoxious to watch...Black Clover literally punches it's audience in the face with the screaming. Pretty fair criticism.

It's just a series that's coming out 10 years too late to try compete with the Big 3 in that era. It's carried the 10 year old cliches with it too.
Black clover began serialization when Naruto and Bleach already ended or were about to end soon and competing with OP is a stupid notion for any new series, so I really don't get where you got this idea from. And those cliches are far older than just 10 years as Dragonball already had them. The simple truth is that it was and still is a popular concept. No reason to change a working formula.

Last edited:

Avani

Supreme
Kin
5,412💸
Kumi
480💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Yes Selene. Well when you're in a forum site that have little knowledge how WSJ works, it's best to hammer this down so you don't get idiots saying "Black Clover is part of the big 3!" or even worse, "Black Clover is the successor to Naruto". I did the exact same when MHA was airing so don't get sensitive over this, despite me enjoying MHA
It was a very specific thread about the anime episode over the a voice acting and whether Dub would be better in this case. As it turns out Dub is certainly better for most non Japanese speaking people from other countries. Case closed. So that explanation only confirms that you came here to crap over BC.

Even if some fans hope that their personal favourite manga become popular enough, whether it's MHA or BC or something else what's the big deal ? Why should you get so touchy over such wishful comments what makes you entitled to hammer down your opinion in this regard regardless of the topic? Unless you are part of WSJ administration, what you know is also based on hearsay.

Also, it's good to know how it's doing in terms of backlog/TV ratings since that's one of the factors that decides if there's going to be a sequel. The thread in of itself is "negative" since it's questioning if the series is dooand med or not so ofc there will be negativity. If I really wanted to "negative" about this I would've ragged on it more for not offering a lot to the table, instead of focusing on the numbers/success.
Yea the OP wondered if the loud voice acting will affect the anime negatively but you took it beyond the topic at hand- the vice acting, which you just accepted in first paragraph.

Because you seem to bring that series in whenever someone mentions Black clover. You can compare anything to anything but in the end it would just be your opinion and others will have their own opinion regarding it. As matter of fact I had picked Kimetsu no Takib at your recommendation. I liked it enough to follow it but no it's not 'better' if I am pushed to compare it and I can detail the reasons.

I worded the similarity point - the motivation of hero's journey. Beyond that narration style gives quite a Bleach vibe.

I didn't claim it was deep but it's narrations are something rather unique.
As I said- narration style reminds me of Bleach as well as some other older mangas I have read. Bleach MC was similar as well.

KNY has distinct feeling despite not being that distinct because it choose a historical period as it's setting and when it comes down to Show Vs Tell, it chooses to 'tell'. I like the MC but the side characters are an overload of 1-2 dimensional characters as well as the loud ones who scream a lot or start most stupid fight pointlessly even if it's not MC himself. Their motivations to go though such intense training and risks are not convincing enough.

The conflicts are not that varied or give much to talk about. The dull villains either envy bonds of MC with his sister or are sorrowful of their own loss of humanity or just greedy gluten for power with no clear goal. Dying by the hand of the gentle MC brings peace to sorrowful ones or reminds them of their human life. Yay. . The world seem to be saved by kids with little adult participation and governments have no inkling of demons existing or some demon hunter organization recruiting children and endangering them on regular basis. People train risking deaths but that kind of rigorous discipline doesn't translate in to much gravitas in their character. They still look like big kids just with decorative scars and even often seemingly important characters have static expressions.

So it's just the nice gentle but talented MC that's taking the manga on his shoulder alongside his sister, whom he wants to restore back to normal human.

Not many shonens utilize this narration approach.
Because that kind of narration is dull.

The presentation of the manga is one that's to be praised I would say. Wider world-building? Well ofc, the series are structured in 2 completely different ways, with "wide world building" playing in BC's favor. I would say KnY has a smaller scope but the world building is more fleshed out. If it's not catchy, how would the large growth be explained? The growth that KnY experienced is quite rare especially when the sales were abysmal with the first volume. Subjective...I guess.

"Top-Selling Manga in Japan by Series: 2017 (First Half)
posted on 2017-06-01 00:32
One Piece sells 5,969,851, followed by Attack on Titan, Kingdom, Haikyu!!, Tokyo Ghoul:re

This list covers sales surveyed from November 21, 2016 to May 21, 2017.
"

You must be registered for see images

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-06-01/top-selling-manga-in-japan-by-series-2017/.116861

It's not like Black clover is doing that bad at ninth place in comparison to KNY that's on 12th. What makes you ignore BC's growth but strong bias?

Dropped it after "filler" ? lol Good. Such audience should stick to what they really wish to see, for my guess is that anime will be expanding beyond scenes in the manga a lot more. Manga rushed it for first 100 chapters. Rushing the anime like that would suck. People still complain about first 13 episodes of FMAB.

@Aono Tsukune:
Dude, you keep saying that there is no language barrier, but there is. That's an objective fact which pretty much any person who watches anime frequently should be aware of to a certain degree.

Both Belgians and Dutchmen speak Dutch, however to a Belgian most Dutchmen appear to be extremely loud. We see that as a sign of arrogance, overconfidence and obnoxiousness, but for the Dutch themselves that's not the case. They are simply talking to each other. Even pure screaming can be interpreted differently, so yeah there is a language barrier here as screaming characters are extremely common in anime, I can hear them in my head right this very moment. I always had the impression that the Japanese associate such characters with energy, vitality and inspiration and it certainly is a common anime character archetype.

The only question that remains then is whether in Aster's case they're going a bit too far with it. But I reckon they have much more reliable ways in Japan to check this, considering the size of the manga/anime industry, than what you are bringing up here. If they don't make a big fuss about it in Japan, then there's no issue, however in the case this indeed seems to be a problem, well this is really not something that should be that hard to solve.

So that you keep denying this fact really is indicating you are being quite biased here in favor of the series you prefer. To be honest I have never even heard of this series you keep talking about, so I can't say anything about the quality and the contents and the like, but I do know the picture you drew here is nonsense.

Battle-shonen is quite a vague term. Even Shokugeki no Soma and Haikyuu can be described as battle-shonen as their stories are competitive by nature. Seriously these series didn't just got popular because of food and volleyball, but also because of the intense 'battles' that are in it. Also why would there be a problem with having multiple battle shonen? Bleach, Naruto and OP were serialized together for nearly two decades. Yet here you are picturing some kind of survival of the fittest scenario where either BC or KnY has to go and that BC is somehow losing despite that it's doing more than fine. This is absurd.

Screaming is not an issue in a mute medium like manga and I doubt many people are going to drop a series they like because of a screaming character in the anime adaption. So yeah it really appears that you are downplaying BC because you favor KnY. Seriously you talk about doom scenarios, anime being axed, losing to the competition...you are interpreting everything in regards to BC in a highly negative light, while for KnY you only see rainbows and sunshine despite the fact you could just as easily swap them. This thread was specifically about the anime, but somehow you seem to have forgotten that.
Word.

To be honest you remind me of certain HxH fans and their eternal hatred for Naruto.
LOL

Black clover began serialization when Naruto and Bleach already ended or were about to end soon and competing with OP is a stupid notion for any new series, so I really don't get where you got this idea from. And those cliches are far older than just 10 years as Dragonball already had them. The simple truth is that it was and still is a popular concept. No reason to change a working formula.
Who the hell even coined the term and when- I suppose only after all three of them had crossed a decade or so...

Last edited:

Hexuze

Supreme
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I said there's no language barrier for screaming.

I can't really speak about Dutch since I know nothing of it but there's the same context within English & Japanese (or any dub for this series) since it's just a dub of the same material so there's no language barrier. It's not like the context of the situation is altered, it's still the same series with the same plot, characters, etc.

There should again be no language barrier. Obviously with subtitles/context provided. The communication isn't getting blocked off so I'm not sure why you bring up language barrier as a defense it makes no sense.

They should've gotten a more experienced voice actor is all I'm saying. I don't think the screaming will play a big influence in BC's success, I just want to make that clear before you draw conclusions. That's just my opinion, clearly you disagree and that's fine.

It's not at a decline but with this promotion and given it's genre, a battle manga, the sales weren't that impressive. For example, 2 months prior to the anime it struggled to reach 100k sales in the first 3 days. Given it's overwhelming CP's count, struggling to make 100k sales for a battle shonen is not that impressive.
Biased? While I do love KnY, it's not like I'm going to do that to cloud my judgement. It is very clear that KnY's sales have grown a lot and if you don't keep up with sales of manga series then I would suggest not getting into this topic. Unless you do some research.

You never heard of this series since it never had an official english translation for the longest time & the most popular translation group, *********** (arguably the scummiest translation group), never continued translating it. Literally this series is translated by people on 4chan and posted onto Batoto.

Not at all. Shokugeki & Haikyuu are food & sports series respectively. They may follow the traits of a shonen such as tournaments and have similarities such as rivalries/"villains" but not battle shonens.

Note that I did say eventually and I did clearly say it's not completely doomed. It's not like once both their animes are done airing then one will go but if BC remains the weakest performing one, then it'll be the one to go eventually. I don't have an issue of multiple battle shonen.
The thread in of itself is a negative one. It shouldn't be surprising if you see it. I made it very clear that this doesn't help it's longevity. I wasn't trying to say BC is going to end in a year or something. However, I definitely don't see it reaching a long volume count as your typical battle shonens do.

There are rainbows/sunshine atm for KnY since it's growth has been impressive. It was definitely gloomy at the start as you may see at the sales of the first volumes but spiked in sales with less than half the promotion BC got. You can't really swap them since KnY sales have been growing a lot with minimal promotion compared to Black Clover. If you keep up with the rankings, you can see which series get color pages, magazine cover pages or even push in the rankings.

Yep, it's about the anime but still relevant. If BC isn't performing well then it shouldn't be getting sequels. It's too early to tell but it doesn't look bright with what we have now. The reception right now at best is lukewarm and that's a fact.

@bold
I just made an off comment (just a mere sentence) about wanting to go watch KnY/YnY's anime whenever they come out. Then Kushina89/Avani went on their period about it.

My post expanding on why I brought up KnY was solely directed toward Kushina then Avani got sensitive and replied back. Literally all I was talking prior about was criticisms towards Asta's voice actor & addressing the language barrier.

O.k, if that makes you feel better. I could also say that your defense over BC if very reminiscent of your defense over FT.

Not even a good example since both Naruto/HxH were immensely popular.

It was a very specific thread about the anime episode over the a voice acting and whether Dub would be better in this case. As it turns out Dub is certainly better for most non Japanese speaking people from other countries. Case closed. So that explanation only confirms that you came here to crap over BC.
Holy, you're sensitive. The OP stated...

Is the anime doomed to fail because of this?
Look at my posts, prior to Kushina89's post. Does it really look like I came to bash BC? No, I just criticized the VA's experience and I was doubtful whether or not I should blame the manga since I heard it had a lot of obnoxious screaming.

If you read my first post. My intention was to correct someone about this language barrier non-sense since it's the first time I've seen some use that as a defense. I haven't checked the dub but perhaps it's better because the dub isn't as obnoxious or/& an experienced VA played Asta? Have you considered that?

Even if some fans hope that their personal favourite manga become popular enough, whether it's MHA or BC or something else what's the big deal ? Why should you get so touchy over such wishful comments what makes you entitled to hammer down your opinion in this regard regardless of the topic? Unless you are part of WSJ administration, what you know is also based on hearsay.
Those examples aren't relevantly similar. Wanting your personal fav. series to become popular =/= wanting your personal fav. series to become the "big 3" of the magazine. The latter comes off as being delusional.

Note, that despite KnY being one of my personal fav's, you never see me saying that it's going to be to the top 3 in the magazine. Why? It's foolish, there's no evidence that supports and it's current sales show no signs of that. It's just the fanbase being ignorant is what bothers me a bit, not a big deal.

I remember people were saying BC was Naruto's successor too which is stupid. People actually start to believe if a lot of people spread this misinformed stuff.
Yea the OP wondered if the loud voice acting will affect the anime negatively but you took it beyond the topic at hand- the vice acting, which you just accepted in first paragraph.
Yes. After Kushina's post, I made it clear that it'll be doomed not because of the poor voice acting but for other reasons. Literally wasn't even the point why I came to this thread, why are you making a big deal? It wasn't even directed towards you, just Kushina because he/she made a big deal over a sentence.

Because you seem to bring that series in whenever someone mentions Black clover. You can compare anything to anything but in the end it would just be your opinion and others will have their own opinion regarding it. As matter of fact I had picked Kimetsu no Takib at your recommendation. I liked it enough to follow it but no it's not 'better' if I am pushed to compare it and I can detail the reasons.
Read what I said earlier...What other ongoing series in the same magazine can BC be compared to? In other words, what is BC's competition? It can't be MHA because the sales of that manga steamrolls both BC/KnY combined. It's clear that it's KnY. While BC sales are better, which isn't much to brag about given it's higher color pages/magazine covers, it's not better by that much. Also it even had an OVA to promote the manga, something KnY has yet to get. It may not even get one and just receive an anime.

I would say it's likely for KnY to surpass BC in sales. These are BC's sales thus far. The brackets beside the sales figure are the days that it covers. The columns are each week... 1 week, 2 week, 3 week, etc.
●ブラッククローバー
│ 初動. (日)│ 2週計| 3週計| 4週計| 5週計┃  累計 (日数)┃ 発売日.│タイトル
│*38128 (4)│------│------│------│------┃*,*38,128 (**4)┃2015/06|ブラッククローバー 1
│*61918 (6)│------│------│------│------┃*,*61,918 (**6)┃2015/08|ブラッククローバー 2
│*43122 (2)│*80462│------│------│------┃*,*80,462 (**9)┃2015/10|ブラッククローバー 3
│*56951 (3)│*93866│------│------│------┃*,*93,866 (*10)┃2015/12|ブラッククローバー 4
│*60149 (3)│108503│------│------│------┃*,108,503 (*10)┃2016/03|ブラッククローバー 5
│*95799 (7)│118783│------│------│------┃*,118,783 (*14)┃2016/05|ブラッククローバー 6
│*78464 (4)│121023│******│146766│------┃*,146,766 (*25)┃2016/08|ブラッククローバー 7
│*98616 (6)│129115│------│------│------┃*,129,115 (*13)┃2016/10|ブラッククローバー 8
│*59814 (3)│113151│131749│------│------┃*,200,980 (171)┃2016/12|ブラッククローバー 9
│*66723 (3)│121879│140385│------│------┃*,140,385 (*17)┃2017/03|ブラッククローバー 10
│107704 (6)│136682│150383│------│------┃*,150,383 (*20)┃2017/05|ブラッククローバー 11
│*69741 (3)│128256│149552│------│------┃*,149,552 (*17)┃2017/08|ブラッククローバー 12
│100937 (5)│144506│165512│180954│------┃*,180,954 (*26)┃2017/10|ブラッククローバー 13
│**圏外 (6)│------│------│------│------┃*,**,圏外 (**6)┃2017/05|ブラッククローバー 11 限定版 ※初動15,808以下
Now compared to KnY...It's catching up very quickly despite it's awful start. It also had more than less of the promotions that BC got as well.

●鬼滅の刃
│**圏外 (3)│------│------│------│------┃*,**,圏外 (**3)┃2016/06|鬼滅の刃 1 ※初動16,966以下
│*16323 (4)│------│------│------│------┃*,*16,323 (**4)┃2016/08|鬼滅の刃 2
│*25967 (6)│------│------│------│------┃*,*25,967 (**6)┃2016/10|鬼滅の刃 3
│*21815 (3)│------│------│------│------┃*,*21,815 (**3)┃2016/12|鬼滅の刃 4
│*41476 (3)│*65822│------│------│------┃*,*65,822 (*10)┃2017/03|鬼滅の刃 5
│*65937 (6)│*84742│------│------│------┃*,*84,742 (*13)┃2017/05|鬼滅の刃 6
│*57083 (3)│*96527│------│------│------┃*,*96,527 (*10)┃2017/08|鬼滅の刃 7
│*81312 (5)│109936│122681│------│------┃*,122,681 (*19)┃2017/10|鬼滅の刃 8
KnY sales were abysmal in the start but grew a lot. BC's volume 8 did do slightly better than KnY's volume 8 but again KnY never got a whole lot of promotion as BC did. When you factor in promotions it's not very impressive for BC. Also, BC got an OVA at Jump festa. KnY had no OVA as of yet.

Toriko, much like BC, got a lot of promotions but did much better. (Using Toriko as an example since it's one of the more recent example I can think of a series that got it's promotions and is also a battle series)
●トリコ
│*69177 (6)│*86567│109701│129509│139756┃*,161,360 (*48)┃2008/11|トリコ 1
│*66847 (6)│*84007│105965│125124│135040┃*,155,233 (*48)┃2008/11|トリコ 2
│116789 (5)│153252│168285│------│------┃*,272,588 (292)┃2009/02|トリコ 3
│*83216 (3)│149487│166854│177023│------┃*,250,762 (206)┃2009/05|トリコ 4
│139650 (6)│186365│203960│212554│------┃*,253,887 (111)┃2009/08|トリコ 5
│*95058 (3)│157689│179648│------│196563┃*,196,563 (*31)┃2009/10|トリコ 6
│102567 (3)│167067│186473│197018│------┃*,276,810 (353)┃2009/12|トリコ 7
│129364 (4)│173254│188750│------│205310┃*,205,310 (*32)┃2010/03|トリコ 8
│*96436 (3)│164621│184113│195016│203125┃*,203,125 (*31)┃2010/05|トリコ 9
│*89353 (3)│158452│179822│------│200653┃*,200,653 (*31)┃2010/07|トリコ 10
│157727 (7)│190911│------│213269│------┃*,213,269 (*28)┃2010/10|トリコ 11

As I said- narration style reminds me of Bleach as well as some other older mangas I have read. Bleach MC was similar as well.

KNY has distinct feeling despite not being that distinct because it choose a historical period as it's setting and when it comes down to Show Vs Tell, it chooses to 'tell'. I like the MC but the side characters are an overload of 1-2 dimensional characters as well as the loud ones who scream a lot or start most stupid fight pointlessly even if it's not MC himself. Their motivations to go though such intense training and risks are not convincing enough.

The conflicts are not that varied or give much to talk about. The dull villains either envy bonds of MC with his sister or are sorrowful of their own loss of humanity or just greedy gluten for power with no clear goal. Dying by the hand of the gentle MC brings peace to sorrowful ones or reminds them of their human life. Yay. . The world seem to be saved by kids with little adult participation and governments have no inkling of demons existing or some demon hunter organization recruiting children and endangering them on regular basis. People train risking deaths but that kind of rigorous discipline doesn't translate in to much gravitas in their character. They still look like big kids just with decorative scars and even often seemingly important characters have static expressions.

So it's just the nice gentle but talented MC that's taking the manga on his shoulder alongside his sister, whom he wants to restore back to normal human.
Cool. Never really got into Bleach. It reminds me of HxH/Toriko with it's narration use but hasn't really perfected it yet. It still is a nice addition.

Didn't you say you read not that many chapters? Well, the characters aren't 1-2 dimensional. Most get their backstories/development throughout the arc.

The villains aren't dull, that's more subjective. I would disagree. Also Muzan's motives aren't fully developed yet. It is slowly getting expanded/foreshadowed with the current arc but it's not an alarming issue at this given moment considering it's only been serialized for close to 2 years. What kids? The pillars are in their early 20s it seems, I think the youngest is probably Shinobu at 18 & Giyuu is 21. Uzui has 3 wives, so it's very likely mid 20s or early 20s at the least. This is fiction and an historical one so I don't get why you're nitpicking to that extreme. (even though it's wrong and just a blind jab at the series)

Yup, the MC is taking the manga on his shoulder, is that why other main cast is also beloved by the Japanese? The popularity poll speaks a different story from what you're attempting to illustrate here. Again, these are just blind jabs from you, they don't have much weight.

LOL Speak for yourself.

"Top-Selling Manga in Japan by Series: 2017 (First Half)
posted on 2017-06-01 00:32
One Piece sells 5,969,851, followed by Attack on Titan, Kingdom, Haikyu!!, Tokyo Ghoul:re

This list covers sales surveyed from November 21, 2016 to May 21, 2017.
"

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-06-01/top-selling-manga-in-japan-by-series-2017/.116861

It's not like Black clover is doing that bad at ninth place in comparison to KNY that's on 12th. What makes you ignore BC's growth but strong bias?
If you paid attention to sales/promotion you would realize BC's growth isn't very impressive!

Let's take a quick look at the color pages that BC vs KnY got so you can get a scope of the amount of promotion it got.

2015:

Black Clover received a whopping 11 color pages! (This is ignoring the color page with it's first issue since all series are granted this)

Black Clover received 1 magazine cover (This is again ignoring the magazine cover page with it's first issue)

2016:

Black Clover received another whopping 12 color pages! (Back to back at times)

Black Clover received 3 magazine covers.

Kimetsu was serialized in 2016.

2016:

Kimetsu received less than half. 5 color pages, still a decent amount. (Again I'm ignoring CP's included in serialized issue)

Kimetsu had no covers for 2016 aside from first issue of serialization.

2017 is still ongoing obviously but take my word. It's not on the level of BC's push. It's certainly true but I thought I'd lay out the facts.

Last edited:

Avani

Supreme
Kin
5,412💸
Kumi
480💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
You are so much in denial. What's being described here as an screaming is just Asta shouting whole sentences in a very loud and enraged voice. I understood the words when I watched English dub and it didn't sound bad. You may not like it ( I wasn't impressed either) but that's all to it. It was just first half of the episode anyway. You are arguing over a a few screams in the first episode at this point, that's toned down already. If anything it's an issue for Japanese people because it's dubbed for people outside of Japan.

there should again be no language barrier. Obviously with subtitles/context provided. The communication isn't getting blocked off so I'm not sure why you bring up language barrier as a defense it makes no sense.
But communication is getting blocked when you find it's worth this much of argument over how weird Asta sounds when shouting in Japanese and cannot move on.

I just made an off comment (just a mere sentence) about wanting to go watch KnY/YnY's anime whenever they come out. Then Kushina89/Avani went on their period about it.
Wow! Sexist comments are so lovely.

My post expanding on why I brought up KnY was solely directed toward Kushina then Avani got sensitive and replied back.
I replied because you wrote whole paragraph making a comparison. If it was only directed at Kushina - send him/her a VM. If it's a thread others participate.

Holy, you're sensitive. The OP stated...
Nope. You used that small gap to get your foot in and dragging it on. Of course others can put things in the perspective from opposite side too.

Look at my posts, prior to Kushina89's post. Does it really look like I came to bash BC? No, I just criticized the VA's experience and I was doubtful whether or not I should blame the manga since I heard it had a lot of obnoxious screaming.
So you are saying Kushina made you do it?

If you read my first post. My intention was to correct someone about this language barrier non-sense since it's the first time I've seen some use that as a defense. I haven't checked the dub but perhaps it's better because the dub isn't as obnoxious or/& an experienced VA played Asta? Have you considered that?
I will let Cali reply to you if he wishes since he used those words. But it's an established fact not just our opinion that all the sounds we make, are influence by the language and cultural acceptance :

"Languages tend to pick something, and we learn that that's the noise you make — and we make it.

So remember this: Your pain response may be automatic, but it's immediately filtered through your language before you even finish saying it. Learned language is quick and pervasive. We even scream with our own accents."

Hexuze said:
Avani said:
Hexuze said:
it's best to hammer this down so you don't get idiots saying "Black Clover is part of the big 3!" or even worse, "Black Clover is the successor to Naruto". I did the exact same when MHA was airing so don't get sensitive over this, despite me enjoying MHA
Those examples aren't relevantly similar. Wanting your personal fav. series to become popular =/= wanting your personal fav. series to become the "big 3" of the magazine. The latter comes off as being delusional.
As I said before too- Even if they are delusional, I don't see why you need to hammer it down that urgently. They will learn on their own. I correct people sometimes when they say it but it's just opinion Vs opinion, even if you believe yours to be more rational. Beside no one said that in this thread so it didn't matter anyway.

Note, that despite KnY being one of my personal fav's, you never see me saying that it's going to be to the top 3 in the magazine. Why? It's foolish, there's no evidence that supports and it's current sales show no signs of that. It's just the fanbase being ignorant is what bothers me a bit, not a big deal.
I almost feel like starting saying that just to troll you from now on. Going on and on about a non existent issue here.

I remember people were saying BC was Naruto's successor too which is stupid. People actually start to believe if a lot of people spread this misinformed stuff.
Blame it on Studio Pierrot or Suishia or comic news sites for that:

Studio Pierrot is famously known for their work with the Bleach, Naruto, Boruto and Twin Star Exorcist series’. However, they soon might be known for another new animated production called Black Clover. The series is already being compared to other Shonen franchises such as One Piece and Fairy Tail, despite the series yet to premiere. In addition, the studio has already said that they want and expect Black Clover to be the next Naruto, as the two anime have a similar fan base.

Set to be released in October, the anime is being directed by Tatsuya Yoshihara, with Kazuyuki Fudeyasu, Itsuko Takeda, and Kumiko Tokunaga also overseeing its creation. Studio Pierrot is awfully confident in its new production, especially as Black Clover's manga series is still fairly new as well, with it beginning in 2015. However, the manga has amassed an enormous following in such a short time, which does explain the studio’s confidence. Although, to say that Black Clover will be the next Naruto is a pretty big claim.

It was the marketing gimmick or SP being hopeful. A successor doesn't always matches or outperforms his predecessor so that's that. But that should be SP's headache not mine. Couldn't care less. I only want them to end properly. Time will decide the rest.

Yes. After Kushina's post, I made it clear that it'll be doomed not because of the poor voice acting but for other reasons. Literally wasn't even the point why I came to this thread, why are you making a big deal? It wasn't even directed towards you, just Kushina because he/she made a big deal over a sentence.
You are the one making such a huge deal - bringing in points that had little relevance to begin with. Just see above- you were again complaining about some excited kid saying it would be new Naruto after SP made that comment.

Read what I said earlier...What other ongoing series in the same magazine can BC be compared to? In other words, what is BC's competition? It can't be MHA because the sales of that manga steamrolls both BC/KnY combined. It's clear that it's KnY. While BC sales are better, which isn't much to brag about given it's higher color pages/magazine covers, it's not better by that much. Also it even had an OVA to promote the manga, something KnY has yet to get. It may not even get one and just receive an anime.
BC's competition is something like Boruto- the original extension of Naruto. The people who prefer mangas like KNY and the one who like BC don't overlap that much. There were talks about how it would be an issue which series gets better animators if they were both on at the same time.

I would say it's likely for KnY to surpass BC in sales. These are BC's sales thus far. The brackets beside the sales figure are the days that it covers. The columns are each week... 1 week, 2 week, 3 week, etc.
:shrug:

Now compared to KnY...It's catching up very quickly despite it's awful start. It also had more than less of the promotions that BC got as well.
Saying Bleach's successor wouldn't have been catchy the way things ended.

KnY sales were abysmal in the start but grew a lot. BC's volume 8 did do slightly better than KnY's volume 8 but again KnY never got a whole lot of promotion as BC did. When you factor in promotions it's not very impressive for BC. Also, BC got an OVA at Jump festa. KnY had no OVA as of yet.
It may sell Hexuze, but it really has more limited scope to expand as writer hasn't done much to make the world or conflict that big so far.

Toriko, much like BC, got a lot of promotions but did much better. (Using Toriko as an example since it's one of the more recent example I can think of a series that got it's promotions and is also a battle series)
Yea, Toriko got a lot more promotion- all that cross over with OP and then OP and DB. But:

" But the simplicity of Toriko is also its downfall: there are no clever twists in store, the characters don't develop at all, either personally or interpersonally, and even the most calculating villains are just mindless targets waiting to be knocked down one by one. The on-again, off-again animation also does a disservice to the bright colors and creative designs of the series"
-https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toriko

Promotions can take you only that far. + you forget how much hate and prejudice people hold against BC because of it's likeness with Naruto and many reviewers outright declaring it as worst even before writer got a chance. With Naruto hare base already extending their bias against it.

Cool. Never really got into Bleach. It reminds me of HxH/Toriko with it's narration use but hasn't really perfected it yet. It still is a nice addition.
It's avoiding panels with visual descriptions. Writer didn't even bother to draw MC trying to write the words down. Instead he just wrote in a panel from the perspective of MC- "i'm going to write a diary". But the format is not even diary like. It took me out of the manga there for a bit.

Didn't you say you read not that many chapters? Well, the characters aren't 1-2 dimensional. Most get their backstories/development throughout the arc.
I have read all the chapter that are out so far. Bare minimum and just recently. It needs to do so for villains too to make them less forgettable.

The villains aren't dull, that's more subjective. I would disagree. Also Muzan's motives aren't fully developed yet. It is slowly getting expanded/foreshadowed with the current arc but it's not an alarming issue at this given moment considering it's only been serialized for close to 2 years. What kids? The pillars are in their early 20s it seems, I think the youngest is probably Shinobu at 18 & Giyuu is 21. Uzui has 3 wives, so it's very likely mid 20s or early 20s at the least. This is fiction and an historical one so I don't get why you're nitpicking to that extreme. (even though it's wrong and just a blind jab at the series)
What do you find interesting about these villains so far?

It's the way they are depicted. You try to sell this manga as something unique that no series has while nit picking BC, so don't complain when you are reminded that it has the same issues as many other mangas.

Yup, the MC is taking the manga on his shoulder, is that why other main cast is also beloved by the Japanese? The popularity poll speaks a different story from what you're attempting to illustrate here. Again, these are just blind jabs from you, they don't have much weight.
Popularity polls on internet just indicate preference of one set of vocal people present on that site and the sheep who follow the loudest one. Even the TOC ranking are not perfect science and magazine editors can and do change the order the way they see fit.

Avani said:
LOL Speak for yourself.
Of course I'm speaking for myself. But it gets tiresome if the series is stretched too much. If it's relatively short series then it would be good as in it will end before that feeling of monotony catches up. - unlike Bleach.

If you paid attention to sales/promotion you would realize BC's growth isn't very impressive!
I said it's not doing that bad. Impressive is relative. Black Clover is more likely to suffer when competing with Boruto rather than KNY. KNY will only benefit because of their clash due to more common fan preferences.

Let's take a quick look at the color pages that BC vs KnY got so you can get a scope of the amount of promotion it got.

2015:

Black Clover received a whopping 11 color pages! (This is ignoring the color page with it's first issue since all series are granted this)

Black Clover received 1 magazine cover (This is again ignoring the magazine cover page with it's first issue)

2016:

Black Clover received another whopping 12 color pages! (Back to back at times)

Black Clover received 3 magazine covers.

Kimetsu was serialized in 2016.

2016:

Kimetsu received less than half. 5 color pages, still a decent amount. (Again I'm ignoring CP's included in serialized issue)

Kimetsu had no covers for 2016 aside from first issue of serialization.

2017 is still ongoing obviously but take my word. It's not on the level of BC's push. It's certainly true but I thought I'd lay out the facts.
My sympathies for that. But really no matter how much you push KYN needs to evolve and expand if the writer has plans for a long term. I like it's story, MC and it has it's own charm as a different style but let's be realistic. BC is more likely competing with Boruto or other mangas with similar style rather than something like KNY.

Most importantly, Black Clover may or may not be that big but that's no reason to ruin fan's experience with constant personal tirade against it.

Last edited:

Caliburn

Supreme
Kin
2,805💸
Kumi
525💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
And again there is language barrier, that's an absolute fact. The reality that you keep saying "screaming" while Aster is speaking normal Japanese, proves that. What's more what he does is extremely common in anime.

I can't really speak about Dutch since I know nothing of it but there's the same context within English & Japanese (or any dub for this series) since it's just a dub of the same material so there's no language barrier. It's not like the context of the situation is altered, it's still the same series with the same plot, characters, etc.

There should again be no language barrier. Obviously with subtitles/context provided. The communication isn't getting blocked off so I'm not sure why you bring up language barrier as a defense it makes no sense.
Yes there is. You apparently think that translating a language is nothing more than replacing the corresponding words. It is not. Languages are more than just words, they are a complicated cultural phenomenon and when you translate something, certain nuances, subtleties and meanings are lost because they do not exist in the other language. The way how people react on certain linguistic characteristics, like talking loud, having a heavy voice, putting emphasis on specific syllables etc. differs a lot and that certainly applies for languages like English and Japanese, which are completely different.

You talk about context, but that's barely relevant for this as that mostly applies to what they are saying, not about how we perceive the manner they are saying it. The fact that you consider it screaming, while Aster is speaking Japanese, proves that.

They should've gotten a more experienced voice actor is all I'm saying. I don't think the screaming will play a big influence in BC's success, I just want to make that clear before you draw conclusions. That's just my opinion, clearly you disagree and that's fine.
Saying that there isn't a language barrier is simply wrong, that's where I disagree as if Japanese people aren't bothered by it, it's not that much of an issue, which was the premise of this thread. I was once had a professor who described translating as being not replacing one word with another word, but changing one world for another as what lurks behinds those words is something completely different. Languages are much more than just the specific meaning of words.

You would think that of all people someone who reads manga and watches anime would be aware of the complexities of two different languages as there are numerous examples of this. I once opened a Naruto chapter that was translated into Dutch. The problem is we don't have stuff that corresponds with things like -kun, -san etc., but the translator decided to give it a try. To result was so ridiculous I had to hold back my laughter and immediately put the chapter back.

Language barrier. Just like that what you consider to be screaming, can be seen by other people as something different. What Aster does is by no means unique or even rare. In fact the screaming Japanese person is so common it became a stereotype in the West.

It's not at a decline but with this promotion and given it's genre, a battle manga, the sales weren't that impressive. For example, 2 months prior to the anime it struggled to reach 100k sales in the first 3 days. Given it's overwhelming CP's count, struggling to make 100k sales for a battle shonen is not that impressive.

Biased? While I do love KnY, it's not like I'm going to do that to cloud my judgement. It is very clear that KnY's sales have grown a lot and if you don't keep up with sales of manga series then I would suggest not getting into this topic. Unless you do some research.

You never heard of this series since it never had an official english translation for the longest time & the most popular translation group, *********** (arguably the scummiest translation group), never continued translating it. Literally this series is translated by people on 4chan and posted onto Batoto.
Black Clover was in top 30 of the best selling manga of the first of half of 2017. It has a newly released anime and its sales are decent. The numbers you posted even support that, you just decided to interpret them negatively, so it's laughable that then going to say that we need to do research when the only thing you did with your own was twisting it to your convenience. You say that BC's sales are bad, but what I see is that it suddenly had one volume of which the sales almost doubled, but the volumes that followed afterwards had lower sales, while the latest volume again peaked. You interpret that as negative, while in reality on average the sales had an upward curve.

At the same time despite that BC sales of its 8 first volumes were certainly not worse than those of KnY, you determined that the latter is ready for stardom and former almost doomed. What?

Yes you are biased as hell because for BC the glass is always half-empty, but when it concerns KnY you have excuses for everything. I haven't heard of it because apparently no one scanlates it...then tell my why is no one scanlating it? Do you know how pathetic that sounds when you call MS the scummiest translation group in the same sentence where you say they dropped the series? They can't scanlate everything and that counts for every group. So one way to view this would be that none of them rate the series very high and it can't be considered flattering if no one wants to scanlate it. If this was BC this is how you would interpret that, but because it's KnY you are trying to find excuses.

By no means I'm saying that KnY is bad nor do I pretend that I now why no one is scanlating it, but I do want to point out those major double standards of yours.

Not at all. Shokugeki & Haikyuu are food & sports series respectively. They may follow the traits of a shonen such as tournaments and have similarities such as rivalries/"villains" but not battle shonens.
I'm pretty sure battle shonen is not even a legitimate genre, but a very loose term used by the internet where pretty much everyone can decide what he defines under it considering it's highly ambiguous nature. Shokugeki no Soma literally means "food wars" and story is pretty much an endless chains of shokugeki's of which the contestants are often depicted in an allegorical way as fighting, but apparently that's not a battle.

Note that I did say eventually and I did clearly say it's not completely doomed. It's not like once both their animes are done airing then one will go but if BC remains the weakest performing one, then it'll be the one to go eventually. I don't have an issue of multiple battle shonen.

The thread in of itself is a negative one. It shouldn't be surprising if you see it. I made it very clear that this doesn't help it's longevity. I wasn't trying to say BC is going to end in a year or something. However, I definitely don't see it reaching a long volume count as your typical battle shonens do.
Dude, the fact alone that you found it necessary to formulate it like that is ridiculous. Read what what you just wrote, "not completely doomed". What? It just had an anime started, it sales are reasonable contrary to what you claim following the numbers you yourself posted, but somehow you are questioning the entire franchise based on what? One supposedly screaming character in the first five minutes of the very first episode? Because that's what it is. It gives a bad first impression when one of the first scenes is the MC having several fits, mostly for comic relief, but afterwards by no means is he any different in that regard than characters like Naruto or Usopp and what the future brings for the anime is not automatically what the future will bring for the manga. And somehow in all of this you are the only one who sees a competition between BC and KnY.

There are rainbows/sunshine atm for KnY since it's growth has been impressive. It was definitely gloomy at the start as you may see at the sales of the first volumes but spiked in sales with less than half the promotion BC got. You can't really swap them since KnY sales have been growing a lot with minimal promotion compared to Black Clover. If you keep up with the rankings, you can see which series get color pages, magazine cover pages or even push in the rankings.

Yep, it's about the anime but still relevant. If BC isn't performing well then it shouldn't be getting sequels. It's too early to tell but it doesn't look bright with what we have now. The reception right now at best is lukewarm and that's a fact.
See you are doing it again. No scanlation group wants the series and you insult the only one who apparently every did scanlate it. BC gets an anime, but it's not completely doomed. KnY has bad sales, but then a peak = amazing. BC has a huge peak and in comparison the following volumes are less successful, but still follow the overall growth = nearly doomed.

How is it possible that you even try to deny that you are being ridiculously biased here.

@bold

My post expanding on why I brought up KnY was solely directed toward Kushina then Avani got sensitive and replied back. Literally all I was talking prior about was criticisms towards Asta's voice actor & addressing the language barrier.
Putting aside that your sexist comment isn't doing you any favors, that comment was so specific that you really need to look at yourself as in the very least you need to question whether you really are bringing up that series up too much. But that was it, Kushina was complaining about you bringing that series up all the time, nothing more.

It however was you and you alone who started this BC vs KnY thingy.

O.k, if that makes you feel better. I could also say that your defense over BC if very reminiscent of your defense over FT.

Not even a good example since both Naruto/HxH were immensely popular.
What would make feel better is if you would leave your double standards at home and stop hiding behind "research" if you're just going to abuse it. And do you mean my correct defense of FT about how it's certainly not the most elaborate manga that was ever created, but that it should be judged for what it is and not for what kind messed up things people made it out to be in their heads just so they could start trash talking about it? That's nothing more than common sense, which means you just admitted that I'm right if this reminds you of my FT Defense.

I specifically used those two series because they are popular, so you completely missed my point. Despite the fact that HxH was successful, for some reason there were aggressive fans who trash-talked Naruto and Kishimoto at every opportunity they got, in particular accusing him of ripping-off. Similarly despite the fact that there are enough reasons to be positive about the futures of BC and, assumably, KnY, for some irrational reasons you decided that apparently these two series are in a life and death struggle where one has to perish so that the other one can survive.