Elite
Kin
9,371💸
Kumi
1,003💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
If religion is nothing but myth, and important the same way people find Harry Potter important, then why can't we replace religion all together with Harry Potter?
If people don't need religion to be good people, then what is the purpose of being religious for the sake of good?

Is religion necessary to teach people how to be good, or don't we need it? Are there other methods to learn what is good?

If religion is in the way of science, then isn't it an obstacle for learning more about the world does helping people make progress?

Premfection

Veteran
Kin
1,575💸
Kumi
8,090💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I don't feel like religion is needed to learn to be a good person (I feel that's obvious tho some have disagreed with me lol) ofc you can learn good morals and be taught to not do bad things just because you should have empathy for how it will effect others and yourself (treats others the way you'd like to be treated)

I think religion is just a way to escape our phobia of death and find some deeper meaning in the seemingly meaningless world we've been put in. I myself don't ...strongly really believe in anything in particular (reincarnation feels most likely to me, but idk) and the thought of death and the void kinda freak me out so I can sort of understand why people would be attracted to religion.

• Angry
Reactions: minamoto

Chikombo

Elite
Kin
9,371💸
Kumi
1,003💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I don't feel like religion is needed to learn to be a good person (I feel that's obvious tho some have disagreed with me lol) ofc you can learn good morals and be taught to not do bad things just because you should have empathy for how it will effect others and yourself (treats others the way you'd like to be treated)

I think religion is just a way to escape our phobia of death and find some deeper meaning in the seemingly meaningless world we've been put in. I myself don't ...strongly really believe in anything in particular (reincarnation feels most likely to me, but idk) and the thought of death and the void kinda freak me out so I can sort of understand why people would be attracted to religion.
I don't mind people who are religous but I can't apply it to actual life, how are women supposed to live free when they are forced by religion to cover up?
How is society supposed to function when the bible says sundays should be for resting?
Like am I not allowed to work on sundays?
I don't understand how to apply it, feels like all people do is have their own interpretation of religion or they compromise their faith with other norms and other knowledge like the theory of evolution.

I do not think religion is gonna disappear, if it does then it might show up as something called something else but still be the same thing.

Premfection

Veteran
Kin
1,575💸
Kumi
8,090💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I don't mind people who are religous but I can't apply it to actual life, how are women supposed to live free when they are forced by religion to cover up?
How is society supposed to function when the bible says sundays should be for resting?
Like am I not allowed to work on sundays?
I don't understand how to apply it, feels like all people do is have their own interpretation of religion or they compromise their faith with other norms and other knowledge like the theory of evolution.

I do not think religion is gonna disappear, if it does then it might show up as something called something else but still be the same thing.
I don't think religion will disappear either altho I feel a lot of people are beginning to question their beliefs more, I know that Christianity faith has fallen quite a bit in the last decade in the US apparently.
But yea that's funny and actually a good point lol, "why can't we work on sundays" like I sorta don't know where the Bible directly says that but I do know I've heard that from a lot of people who are Christian (sunday is for resting and/or church) and if everyone just started resting on Sundays then like, there would be no functioning world on Sundays really (if everyone were christian). Nothing completely made sense to me as a Christian which is kinda why I slowly became agnostic. Feels like everyone has their own interpretation of the Bible

• Angry
Reactions: minamoto

salamander uchiha

Legendary
Kin
9,043💸
Kumi
6,082💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I think morals and virtues coming from a higher power are superior to those that exist without it. For example we saw what a religion less society looks like (communist countries) they were brutal, killed millions, crushed rebellion stole people's freedoms and right to proert ownership. It essentially made them units of the state, and the state the master. Yes, yes people will argue for and against hints, but why should one person's ideal be superior to another's? Therefore, we have to look for something that distinguishes itself, and religion does that by removing man from the equation. Unless your Catholic, then the pope is your absolute ruler.

Religion is quite useful, imo.

Chikombo

Elite
Kin
9,371💸
Kumi
1,003💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I think morals and virtues coming from a higher power are superior to those that exist without it. For example we saw what a religion less society looks like (communist countries) they were brutal, killed millions, crushed rebellion stole people's freedoms and right to proert ownership. It essentially made them units of the state, and the state the master. Yes, yes people will argue for and against hints, but why should one person's ideal be superior to another's? Therefore, we have to look for something that distinguishes itself, and religion does that by removing man from the equation. Unless your Catholic, then the pope is your absolute ruler.

Well, I do agree Communism banned and still bans religion today, and that's horrible. I don't think religion is the ultimate guideline but it is for some reason very connected to people's sense of morality.
So I understand the Nietzsche concept of lack of morality and emptiness when people move away from God, even though one can easily be a good person without technically be religious.

I think Morality itself can be proven to be wrong, so even without religion morality can be destroyed with facts and logic, meaning if it does exist in the shape of religion or not is irrelevant, as long as it exists that might be a good thing.

I do think that secular countries still allow people to be religious but where religion rules its not allowed to be an atheist and I think that's unfair.

Ultimately I think that the value of religion switches individually from person to person, and it's not defined as either bad or good on its own.

If one could separate religion as an entity in itself, just look at it from an objective point of view. One could determine if it truly is giving people morality in the sense that they are better people and better for people around them too.

I think that's a possibility but not a rule, so basically my conclusion is that religion as a concept whatever it is, might be very important but it can also be dangerous and it doesn't need to always be relevant.

salamander uchiha

Legendary
Kin
9,043💸
Kumi
6,082💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
even though one can easily be a good person without technically be religious.
Not quite, the environment that shapes you has religious influences in it (the forebears were religiously inclined). If we were to purely remove it, we would end up with survival of the fittest, and not even atheists follow that (kind of hypocritical). Since we don't have that, we know the influence remains even if people don't want to admit it.

You are right, and it is what I said. If morality is left to individuals, then they won't agree on anything, why one ideal should be favoured above another etc. That is why morality is sought from a higher source.

Chikombo

Elite
Kin
9,371💸
Kumi
1,003💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Not quite, the environment that shapes you has religious influences in it (the forebears were religiously inclined). If we were to purely remove it, we would end up with survival of the fittest, and not even atheists follow that (kind of hypocritical). Since we don't have that, we know the influence remains even if people don't want to admit it.

You are right, and it is what I said. If morality is left to individuals, then they won't agree on anything, why one ideal should be favoured above another etc. That is why morality is sought from a higher source.
mm, not sure I agree 100 percent it can be proven religion is behind morality, I have heard that before, that it's cultural impact has shaped that, my dad said the exact same thing that it's thanks to religion people don't live in the wild west or something and one should be respectful.
The possibility exists though that if religion is a separate entity if we just remove the name but still have the phenomenon that it could be defined as something that does give people morality.

But I don't know that for a fact.

A child for example could be raised without ever knowing religion, but he could still be raised being a good person, whether the good norms comes from religion or not I think is up for debate.

minamoto

Supreme
Kin
25,811💸
Kumi
11,914💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

fuckin hypocrite ..

salamander uchiha

Legendary
Kin
9,043💸
Kumi
6,082💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
mm, not sure I agree 100 percent it can be proven religion is behind morality, I have heard that before, that it's cultural impact has shaped that, my dad said the exact same thing that it's thanks to religion people don't live in the wild west or something and one should be respectful.
The possibility exists though that if religion is a separate entity if we just remove the name but still have the phenomenon that it could be defined as something that does give people morality.

But I don't know that for a fact.

A child for example could be raised without ever knowing religion, but he could still be raised being a good person, whether the good norms comes from religion or not I think is up for debate.
That is exactly what has happened, in the West state and religion are separate, yet the influence is there even if it is nameless. I'm only highlighting the source of the morality, and your dad is spot on. I think you're agreeing, but not sure.

As for the child in essence removing religion in name doesn't remove the source of influence. There's a reason we aren't practising survival of the fittest or eugenics, it is that nameless influence (relgion) that influenced our predecessors.

This doesn't mean people are perfect, though.

fuckin hypocrite ..
Get back to riding the rod, Minapopo, we are having a civil conversation. If you have something important to input please do, if not read a dictionary.

Chikombo

Elite
Kin
9,371💸
Kumi
1,003💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
That is exactly what has happened, in the West state and religion are separate, yet the influence is there even if it is nameless. I'm only highlighting the source of the morality, and your dad is spot on. I think you're agreeing, but not sure.

As for the child in essence removing religion in name doesn't remove the source of influence. There's a reason we aren't practising survival of the fittest or eugenics, it is that nameless influence (relgion) that influenced our predecessors.

Get back to riding the rod, Minapopo, we are having a civil conversation. If you have something important to input please do, if not read a dictionary.
I still think it's up for debate as to how much religion has shaped or is shaping society, I do lean towards it having done so a lot, but I'm not 100 percent.

salamander uchiha

Legendary
Kin
9,043💸
Kumi
6,082💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I still think it's up for debate as to how much religion has shaped or is shaping society, I do lean towards it having done so a lot, but I'm not 100 percent.
The lack of religion is shaping the Commies in China and they're becoming more and more f'ed up day by day. They have rape camps, ethnic cleansing camps and organ harvesting camps. If you want to look at a real world example. Anyway, leaning towards is good enough.

Chikombo

Elite
Kin
9,371💸
Kumi
1,003💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
u admited bing stupid..stupids have no rite to say dat..
I don't know if I'm stupid, I just thought I deserved being offended.
Post automatically merged:

You do need religion to be a good person. What you need to be a good person is self violition.
Am I missing a not in here?
I don't know what self violation means, I googled it but I still don't know.

Rohan

Supreme
Kin
1,027💸
Kumi
1,522💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I don't know if I'm stupid, I just thought I deserved being offended.
Post automatically merged:

Am I missing a not in here?
I don't know what self violation means, I googled it but I still don't know.
Yes there should be a not there. Lol

It means your own will. If you decide that you want to be a good person, that is more than enough.

Volition or will is the cognitive process by which an individual decides on and commits to a particular course of action